Chapter 34

"You're already out of the lighting box, do I have to sing?" Roman asked.

"After I've done all the lighting?" Virgil shot back. "Definitely."

"Fine." Roman whined, though he didn't really mind and he knew Virgil knew it. "But you're gonna have to stand in for Kathy."

"Oh, a romantic song, is it?" Virgil teased. Roman rolled his eyes, praying he wasn't an easy blusher. He'd never honestly found out.

"What song of Don Lockwood's isn't romantic?" Roman asked. There was a beat of silence.

"Fair point." Virgil conceded begrudgingly. "Anyway, sing, Don Lockwood. I'm not coming down there til I get fairly serenaded."

Roman rolled his eyes again. "So bossy." He said. "Fine, if you insist, fair Nightmare."

Virgil laughed. "You know, I don't actually mind that one." He said. "Though, I must warn you, I'm not a good singer. I'll be a terrible Kathy."

"As long as I'm not left out here in the cold, I don't care." Roman said.

"Whatever. Anyway, serenade away." Virgil commanded and Roman imagined him waving his hands.

Why did he feel so self-conscious about this? He was an actor, singing for others was what he did.

"You are my lucky star." Roman sang quietly. All was fine, everything was fine. "I saw you from afar. Two lovely eyes at me they were gleaming."

Virgil's eyes really were lovely. Grey like a storm on the horizon and with a glint of danger like a storm too.

"Beaming."

"I was star struck." Virgil's voice surprised him a little. He wasn't good but he wasn't bad either. Maybe Roman could help him, teach him a little... Yeah, that would be nice.

"You're all my lucky charms." Roman continued, trying to focus on the song and not his fantasies of Virgil. Of Virgil's hair, Virgil's smile, Virgil's eyes... "I'm lucky in your arms. You've opened Heaven's portal here on Earth for this poor mortal-" Here Roman cut himself off.

Virgil was standing just by the stage, the spotlights casting a hazy glow over him. His hair was mussed and messy under his hood, his eyes turned upward at Roman, a gentle almost smile on his face. The grey of his eyes was tinted with the sunset colours of the spotlights.

"What's the matter, Princey?" Virgil asked and it took Roman a few seconds to remember that talking was a way of communication. "Emo got your tongue?"

Then Virgil smiled properly - flirtatiously, even - and Roman forgot everything about pretty much the rest of the world.

"Uh-" Roman only succeeded in making a few flustered noises as Virgil climbed up onto the stage. He was so close. Roman could see every freckle and nick on Virgil's face. So close...

Virgil leaned close to Roman, rising onto his tip-toes slightly. He held Roman's gaze - but holy shit, was he looking at Roman's lips? - and something in his eyes flickered. Something like recognition and he stepped back, blush splaying over his cheeks and nose. Roman let out a breath.

"So... So did I get the part?" Roman asked. "Since it's an audition and all that?" He tried desperately to keep his voice even.

Virgil looked over at him. Whatever had flickered in his eyes was gone now but something else had left with it. There was more tension in Virgil's face and frame, like he'd lost some sort of ease he'd had before.

"We'll have to see." Virgil admitted. A small smirk flitted across his face. "Wait for the call-back to be sure."

... Okay, I couldn't add angst to that. To be honest, did really try.
Bye,
Blaize