14| MISHAPPENINGS

"David, why are you furious?" He was pacing around as if his ass were on fire

"David, why are you furious?" He was pacing around as if his ass were on fire. "Just don't talk to me sappy. Right now I'm in no mood for chitchat," he yelled back at me. Fisting my hands, I was about to backlash at him when the doors of the living room opened and in came a very bloodied Ethan. I felt my breath hitching and my lungs forget to carry on breathing.

I gasped but before I could run to him, David beats me to it and rushed to Ethan who was being supported by Adrian and Marshall, who were equally injured.

I too followed David, helping him carry Ethan, who was breathing heavily. I supported him with his left arm around my shoulder and hands over his chest as he dragged himself to not push all his weight over me while David let me escort him and then helped Adrian with Marshall.

Marshall seemed less injured than others but still seemed to have a broken arm and slashes of the knife all around his torso as he had no shirt on.

"What happened, Ethan?" I tried to ask him but he said nothing and then, putting him on the sofa seat, I turned to walk away and bring the medication to help him out until the doctor arrives.

My work is invested in corpses or shall I say, I'm a student of forensic medical sciences. Right now, I'm still in the first year of my MBBS degree but I hope by the age of 22, I will be a full-fledged forensic doctor. Because I don't want to be a part of the family business alongside David and secondly, relying on others isn't my attribute. I do things my way and thus, with my career choice, it shall be the best for my work as serpent's goddess.

Last month, I officially took the title of the goddess and by next week was supposed to get married to Ethan but this turn of events has made me crazy now.

"Gem..." I stopped, feeling Ethan's hand grabbing my wrist as he called me.

"Sapphy, wait beside him. I will go and check on the doctor." David said and nodding, I turned and sat beside Ethan whose face was stained with blood. The ugly cut on his forehead causing him to bleed and the stab over the back of his shoulder which was bleeding badly as I could see it from the torn open shirt of his.

"Ethan, how all of this happened?" I asked interlacing his fingers with mine and keeping in over my exposed skin from shorts.

"I don't want to talk about it gem," he breathed but before I can enquire more, David returned with our family doctor and surgeon, Alphonso Parkinson. His roots come from Britain when he during world war migrated to Italy with his family.

"Ms. Campbell, can you please excuse us alone. I need to check over the males here," Alphonso said. I was about to open my mouth and argue that I want to stay but David grew his eyes like a lemur and signalled me to go.

I turned to glance at Ethan in hope that he would ask me to stay but he also repeated, "you should go gem. We can handle things here." His tone was dipped in pain and misery. I didn't like how they ushered me away like a fishbone stuck in their throat.