Chapter 5

Danielle POV

After dropping Amalia home, I drove back to my house so I could shower and freshen up before heading over to Stefania's.

I took my time getting ready, I almost felt like I was getting ready for a date. Carefully shaving my legs, washing my hair, moisturising and choosing an outfit got me all excited for the evening. Although I definitely had butterflies in my stomach. This feeling wasn't what was unusual. What was unusual was that I have been over to Stefania's so many times and not had this feeling. Yet lately, this feeling has been taking me by surprise more and more.

As I finished applying my makeup and spraying perfume, I thought about how we were often flirtatious with one another. Was that real or just us playing?

Regardless of what I was feeling, I was genuinely looking forward to a nice, chilled evening with my friend.

I quickly messaged Stefania to let her know I was on my way. I locked up my house and jumped back in my car. The drive to Stefania's was only about fifteen minutes. For at least ten of those, my mind was firmly on Amalia and whether she was alright.

As I pulled up outside Stefania's, I shook away those thoughts and attempted to shake away the butterflies that had swiftly returned.

I hadn't even reached the doorstep when it opened revealing the slender brunette.

"Danielle!" She smiled upon seeing me.

"Hiii," I greeted excitedly.

"Come in come in," she said, ushering me through the door.

The moment I entered her house, Jeff ran towards me and started pawing at my legs.

"Hello gorgeous girlie," I laughed, crouching down to greet the excitable pup.

"Jeff, leave her alone," Stefania laughed.

"It's alright, you know I love her," I smiled, giving Jeff one more head scratch before standing back up.

"Wine?" She asked with cheeky smile.

"Of course," I replied, following her into the kitchen.

I lent against the counter and quickly checked my phone to see if Amalia had messaged me.

There were no notifications.

I sighed and turned my attention to Stefania, who was pouring out the wine into two glasses.

"Here you go bellina," she said, handing me a glass.

I took a sip and felt myself instantly relax a little.

"Thank you," I sighed gratefully.

She led me through into the lounge where she had music playing at a low volume. We each took a seat at opposite ends of the sofa and Jeff jumped on to curl up in the space between us.

We chit chatted for a while and I must have checked my phone at least twenty times in the half hour we'd been sat there.

"You're very distracted tonight," Stefania pointed out, twirling a piece of hair around her finger.

"I know I'm sorry," I apologised.

"Don't be sorry, is it anything you want to talk about?" She asked, her voice laced with concern.

"I told Amalia to message me and let me know she was alright," I told her.

"And she hasn't messaged you yet," she said, connecting the dots.

"Nope, nothing," I sighed.

"Why don't you message her?" She asked.

"I don't have her number. I only gave her mine as she was getting out the car earlier on," I explained.