Chapter 11

Danielle POV

I sat straight up in bed and switched the lamp back on.

I looked over at Amalia, who was still curled in a ball and facing away from me. Her shoulders were shaking as she attempted to hide the fact she was crying.

"Amalia," I said softly.

No reply.

"Sweetheart are you okay?" I asked.

Still nothing.

I climbed out of bed and moved over to her, very conscious of the fact that she was incredibly vulnerable right now.

I perched on the edge of her bed, not wanting to get too close.

"No!" She said suddenly, pushing herself up and away from me.

"Okay, it's okay," I said quickly.

"Don't hurt me," she said.

"Amalia sweetheart, I'm staying right here, I'm not getting closer. I'm not going to hurt you, you're safe," I said calmly.

"Are you drunk?" She asked me, her eyes wide with fear.

Her question took me a little by surprise but I was starting to connect a few dots.

"No Amalia. I've had a few drinks but I stopped drinking a while ago. I'm not drunk," I assured her.

"No alcohol," she said, her voice trembling.

"There's none in this room Amalia and you saw everything I drank. I had those three drinks that you saw in Jaina's room," I told her.

"No more," she cried.

"I don't want it," she sobbed.

A huge lump was forming in my throat but the last thing she needed right now was for me to break down.

"There's no alcohol Amalia, but I can get you some water?" I suggested.

"No, no drinks," she cried.

"Alright alright Lia," I said gently.

She started to breath a lot quicker and her hands were shaking.

"Sweetie you need to breathe for me," I said.

"I c-can't," she stuttered through gasps of air.

"You can, breathe with me. Watch me breathe Amalia," I told her.

I purposely slowed down my own breathing and exaggerated the movement of my chest rising and falling. I wanted her to watch the motion.

Her eyes were fixed on me, her hands still shaking.

"Amalia can I move closer?" I asked softly.

"No Danielle please," she begged, trying to move further away.

"Ok I'm staying right here," I assured her.

"I just want to help you," I added.

I watched her think about it for a moment before she slowly changed her mind and nodded her head.

I very carefully moved to sit beside her and watched as she flinched away from me.

"Shhh it's alright," I said.

"Amalia you need to talk to me," I said seriously.

"I c-can't," she choked out.

"It's just me, Amalia it's just me Danielle. You can talk to me," I said firmly, trying to get through to her.