Chapter 97

Amalia POV

I still hadn't let go of Danielle's arm and stepped with her has she stood back from the door to allow Carter.

"Ciao Carter," Stefania greeted warmly when she saw him.

"Hi," he smiled.

"Can I get you a drink?" She asked him.

"We've got water, fruit juice, soda?" Mama added.

"Fruit juice please," he said politely.

"Bambina?" she asked me.

I felt Danielle take my hand, giving it a light squeeze when I didn't answer.

"W-water please mama," I said, cursing myself for stuttering.

"Mali baby, why don't you take Carter through to the garden, Jeff's out there?" Danielle suggested.

I looked up at her, silently begging her to come with me.

"You're okay, I'll be right behind you," she assured me.

I did as she said and took Carter outside. Upon seeing him, Jeff instantly ran over.

"Hi Jeff, long time no see," he laughed, bending down to give her his full attention.

Full of excitement at having a visitor, Jeff giddily ran from Carter to me and back.

"Jeff you live with me," I chuckled when she jumped up at me again.

"She's making sure you don't get jealous of all the love she's giving me," Carter joked.

"Yeah maybe," I smiled.

"Wanna sit on the grass or the chairs?" He asked me.

"Or you could get in the hammock?" I said, gesturing to the patio.

"I don't fancy making a fool of myself today," he said, making a decision and getting comfortable on the grass, Jeff instantly sitting beside him.

"Yeah, I still have to get Danielle or Stefania to lift me in," I confessed, starting to relax around him a little.

"That's because you're about 4 feet tall," he laughed.

"Well I'm not complaining, she's easy to carry," Danielle said, coming outside with our drinks.

"Mom!" I said, embarrassed and feeling heat rise to my cheeks.

"What? You can't hide the fact you're short sunshine," she shrugged, winking at me as she handed me a water.

"Mama and I will just be inside if you need anything. Is that alright?" She asked me seriously, watching my face carefully for any reaction.

I felt anxious at the thought and knew if I asked her to stay she would but I didn't want Carter to think there was a problem.

"Okay," I eventually nodded.

"We're just in the lounge," she repeated, locking her eyes with mine.

I nodded and offered her a small smile.

She turned to walk back in the house and part of me really wanted to either go with her or call her back.

"It's so strange hearing them be called mom and mama," Carter said when Danielle went back inside.

"Why?" I asked nervously, scared he was judging.

"Because I'm so used to them just being Stefania and Danielle," he shrugged.

"Or Maya and Carina," I added.

"Yeah exactly," he laughed.

"It look a while for me to get used to saying it," I admitted.