Chapter 18

Amalia POV

"Mali," Danielle said slowly, not taking her eyes off of me.

I kept my eyes down, focusing only on Jeff, who had her head still resting on my knee. She knew to stay with me. She knew I needed her.

"All week they'd been messaging me," I continued, my voice wobbling.

"They told me they had the alcohol waiting"

"Sweetheart if you're not ready..." Dani began.

"They were angry," I said, cutting her off, still keeping all my attention on Jeff.

I held one of her paws in my hand.

Afraid I'd stop talking if I saw their pitiful faces, I refused to look up.

"Why were they angry bambina?" Stefania asked carefully.

"They hadn't got my pay check," I breathed out sadly.

"My mom takes every penny, that's why she wanted me to audition and act," I explained.

"I never wanted to,"

"I was always so embarrassed,"

"Oh Mali," Danielle sighed.

"Now I prefer acting to real life, it's my escape. I don't want to live in the real world," I confessed.

"I don't want to be here,"

"Have they ever done anything else Amalia?" Danielle asked.

I shook my head, the reality of my disclosure now hitting me. I sensed movement and finally looked up from Jeff to see Danielle walking over.

"Jeff," Stefania called, making Jeff move to create room for Danielle. The little dog reluctantly jumped down off the sofa but remained by my legs, intuitively staying close by.

Danielle sat down beside me, instantly putting her arm around me. I felt my body tense, embarrassed and ashamed of my confession.

"Let me hold you," she whispered.

I kept my eyes forward and shook my head, refusing to give into the emotion that was fighting to escape.

"Amalia, what did they do?" she asked, using her thumb to stroke my arm.

Again I shook my head, terrified to admit any more truths.

"Tell me sweet girl," she encouraged.

I took a deep breath in.

"They hurt me," I confessed, finally allowing the tears to spill.

Once they started, they wouldn't stop. I felt my whole body begin to shake. I was incapable of controlling my breath and the uncontrollable shivering was taking hold of me entirely. My head was still pounding from the events of the night before, I wanted to close my eyes and disappear.

I felt as though I was stood naked in front of a room of people, open and bare, all my secrets on display.

I couldn't take them back now.

"Let me hold you," Dani reattempted.

I nodded and allowed her to pull me close. She leant back against the sofa, bringing me with her. I felt her guide my head down to her chest, keeping her hand softy against my cheek. Her other arm wrapped around me, securely holding me to her.

We remained like this for a few minutes, the two women silent, allowing me to cry it all out.
I felt Danielle's hand come up to tuck my hair back.

"How did they hurt you my girl?" she asked gently.

With the tremble remaining in my voice, I attempted to take a deep breath.