Chapter 141

Danielle POV

"You look beautiful," I smiled at Stefania, the two of us standing by the front door as she was about to leave.

"Grazie bellina, I shouldn't be too late home," she said, discreetly tilting her head towards Amalia.

"We'll be fine, you go have fun," I assured her, leaning up on my tiptoes to kiss her as she now towered above me in heels.

She returned the kiss before using her thumb to wipe away the lipgloss she'd left on my lip.

"I'll call you as I'm leaving,"

"Ciao bambina," she called to Amalia who had already had her hug goodbye and was now cuddled with Jeff on the sofa.

"Bye mama," she waved.

Stefania left and I closed the door behind her, locking it and walking back towards Amalia.

"Go get a swimsuit on," I told her.

She looked up at me confused.

"It's still warm out, we can chill in the hot tub for a bit," I told her.

She looked at me suspiciously as though sensing I had another reason but got up off the sofa nonetheless.

I wanted to continue our conversation from earlier but knew it would be a lot for Mali, the hot tub would help her regulate.

I got myself changed before grabbing two towels and making my way outside. I placed them down on the side and turned the hot tub on to the setting I wanted and waited for it to heat up.

Amalia joined me, leaning over the side and reaching her hand into the water.

"Warm enough?" I asked her, adjusting the strap slightly on my bright yellow bathing suit.

"Yeah," she nodded.

"In you climb," I told her, holding her arm to help her balance.

"No mermaid Barbie today?" I asked her, climbing in after her.

"No," she replied, looking away from me shyly.

I sat down and relaxed into the water, loving how my muscles let go and embraced the warmth the water was offering.

"You know we still need to talk right?" I said calmly.

Amalia turned her body away from me slightly.

"Mali?" I prompted when she didn't reply.

I watched as her shoulders tensed up.

"Sweetheart I'm not angry, I just want to talk," I said softly, needing her to know I wasn't going to shout.

I gave her a moment, not wanting to push her and giving her time to process whatever she needed to.

Eventually, she turned back around to face me, her face had paled and her eyes were filled with fear.

"Sit with mommy?" I offered, wondering if being closer to me would help.

"It's okay," I smiled when she looked at me nervously.

She nodded her head slowly and I held my hands out to her. She moved forward off the seat opposite me and once her hands were in mine, I pulled her through the water and onto my knee, earning a little laugh as I easily moved her.

"My little mermaid," I grinned, adjusting her so she was facing me and had a leg either side of my lap.

I held her around her waist, my hands resting on her lower back so she could lean back slightly.