Chapter 34

Amalia POV

I'd just finished getting ready for bed, I was determined to sleep tonight and not need Danielle. I wanted to prove to myself I could do it.

There was a knock at the door as I was about to take out my French braids.

"Come in," I called.

Danielle's head popped around the side of the door, accompanied by her signature smile.

"Everything okay sweet girl?" She asked, pushing open the door and coming in.

"I'm good," I smiled, not fully feeling alright but needed her to believe me.

"Come here," she said, patting the space on the bed.

I did as she asked and she turned me around. She ran her fingers through the plaits to break them up before picking up the hair brush and gently brushing it down.

"Sweetheart, Carla's emailed me back. She has arranged a session for tomorrow at 11:00," Danielle said, breaking the comfortable silence.

I felt myself tense up a little but knew it was for the best. Danielle was right, I wasn't able to control things at the moment.

"Is that okay?" She asked when I didn't respond.

I nodded and felt her drape her arms over my shoulders as she lent forward to hug me.

"I'm proud of you Mali," she whispered from behind me.

"I'm trying. I promise," I said timidly, needing her to know her efforts weren't going to waste.

She pulled back and spun me around to face her before sitting in the space beside me.

"I know you are and that's all I ask of you. Don't give up,"

I nodded and leant my head against her shoulder.

"Ready for bed?" She asked.

I nodded and let out a small nervous sigh, knowing that this was it.

"Come on sweetheart," she said, standing up and pulling back the covers. I climbed into bed and as though I were a small child, Danielle pulled them up and tucked me in.

She turned off the main light and switched on the bedside lamp for a moment and perched back down on the bed.

"You know where I am if you need me. Please come and get me Mali. Stefania won't mind, I won't mind," she said firmly.

"Thank you Dani," I said, snuggling up to her side a little.

"Do you want me to stay for a little bit?" She asked, sensing my apprehension.

Again I nodded.

"Are you reading anything at the moment Mali?" She asked.

"Yeah, Little Women it's over there," I said, pointing to the dresser.

She went to get it and returned, laying beside me and propping herself up against the headboard.

"Come here my girl," she smiled, bringing me to snuggle up against her.

She put an arm around me and removed the bookmark. She began to read and I was instantly soothed by the sound of her voice. I lay awake following the words as she read but pretty soon felt my eyelids getting heavy. I rubbed my eyes with my fist and felt Danielle bring her hand to my head.

"Shhh close those eyes Amalia," she whispered, holding my head to her chest.

She continued reading but I quickly stopped being able to follow as sleep was catching me.