Chapter 89

Danielle POV

*Ding Dong*

"I'll get it," Stefania said, standing up and making her way towards the front door.

I looked down at Amalia who had her head rested in my lap as she lay on the sofa.

"Come on Mali, up you get," I said encouragingly, gently rubbing her shoulder.

She pushed herself up and turned to face me.

"You've got this sunshine," I smiled, seeing her panicked expression looking back at me.

She shook her head, tears filling her eyes.

"I'm not ready," she said, a wobble in her voice.

I could hear Stef introducing herself properly to Carla, their voices becoming louder as they approached.

"Mom please don't make me," Mali pleaded desperately.

I sighed, I wasn't going to force her but I knew she really needed a session with Carla.

"You can do this Amalia, big breaths," I said, attempting to sound positive for her benefit.

"Please," she whimpered, shaking her head from side to side as the anxiety flooded her small body.

"Bambina," Stefania said softly, entering the lounge with Carla right behind her. 

"Carla's here bella," she added.

Amalia wouldn't turn around, her breathing erratic, she begged me with her eyes.

"Come on, you can do this bub, mama and I are here," I whispered, reaching for her hands.

"You can do this," I repeated softly.

"Hi Amalia," Carla said lightly, stepping around Stef to approach Amalia and I.

She reached the sofa and knelt down, Amalia now trying to turn herself away by attempting to lay on me.

"Mom p-please," she cried.

"I d-don't want to t-talk," she sobbed, choking on her tears.

I looked at Carla helplessly and shrugged, torn between wanting to just cradle Mali in my arms and make her begin to work through some of the horror she'd faced.

Carla gave me a nod, letting me know that she had this handled.

"Amalia, you don't need to talk at all for the moment okay. Nobody is going to make you talk," Carla said warmly.

"Can you nod or shake your head against Danielle though if I ask you some questions?" She asked.

The three of us all watched as Amalia nodded against my chest.

"That's great Amalia," Carla praised.

"I just want to thank you for letting me come talk to you today sweetheart. You've taken a huge step just by agreeing to a session and you should be really proud of that," she added.

Amalia moved to hold onto my shirt, feeling the grey material between her fingers.

"We're not going to fix everything today Amalia, and I think you know that that's also okay. It's going to take time. It might feel like you'll never get to where you want to be but every step forward is a step in the right direction. I don't care how long it takes you to make those steps and neither does Danielle or Stefania. We're all going to work together. We're a team Amalia, we've said this before, you're not on your own," Carla informed her, her words also calming me.

Amalia nodded in understanding, still keeping her face turned away.

"Is there somewhere else you'd feel more comfortable or is here okay?" Carla asked.