The Cleansing: Part One (Book...

By HarleyRush

THE CLEANSING PART ONE: The group has finally made it to the safe lands. Now they have to settle down and fi... More

Chapter 1: Resistants
Chapter 2: Mint Chip is My Weakness
Chapter 3: I'm Your Captain Now
Chapter 4: Calling Me Out
Chapter 5: Dirty Bucket List
Chapter 6: Dickish Ways and All
Chapter 7: I Don't Want to Disappoint You
Chapter 8: Well Okay Then
Chapter 9: Good News?
Chapter 10: Sorry. Had to Do It.
Chapter 11: Red Star Blood
Chapter 12: She Hurts for Him Because She Understands
Chapter 13: Is He Big?
Chapter 14: I Already Know
Chapter 15: The Berserker
Chapter 16: Alive
Chapter 17: I'm Eating Ice Cream
Chapter 18: Protecting Those They Love
Chapter 19: You're Both Pretty
Chapter 20: You Can Rightfully Fuck Off
Chapter 21: I Had Nothing.
Chapter 22: This Is Perfect
Chapter 23: Sign Me Up
Chapter 24: Never Ever
Chapter 25: Gvgeyudy.
Chapter 26: My Sweet Boy
Chapter 27: The Bear
Chapter 28: Why Can't You? Still Up Your Ass?
Chapter 29: Shells
Chapter 31: Terrible, Yet Hilarious.
Chapter 32: What Guy in His Right Mind
Chapter 33: There's No Laws Anymore So Why Not?
Chapter 34: Two Simple Words (Finn's Day)
Chapter 35: He Will Be Yours (Nova's Day)
Chapter 36: Hell. Fucking. Yes.
Chapter 37: Gryffin
Chapter 38: Pre-Engaged
Chapter 39: You're Driving Me Nuts
Chapter 40: It Felt Right
Chapter 41: She's Insane
Chapter 42: Payback
Chapter 43: Goodnight Mommy
Chapter 44: Shasta Said You're a Dick
Chapter 45: Sign Language for Dummies
Chapter 46: Bow and Arrow
Chapter 47: Big Spoon
Chapter 49: I Think He Finally Did It.
Chapter 50: Merely a Shadow
Chapter 51: I Won Right?
Chapter 52: I've Been Pulling On Them
Chapter 53: Decimators
Chapter 54: It's Not Forever
Chapter 55: Everyone is Pissy This Morning
Chapter 56: It Was Perfect
Chapter 57: Buttons
Chapter 58: Umm...We're Getting Cable?
Chapter 59: Ember
Chapter 60: Without My Protection

Chapter 30: I Brought it to You

230 18 0
By HarleyRush

Finn

Nova left for training but thankfully Finch stayed and postponed her class until later today so someone who could sign would be home. I slept until I felt Nova become excited over something-very excited. I didn't hear her throughout the house so she must still be gone. I want to know what's got her so giddy.

I fell back asleep until I heard her come through the front door some hours later. I heard the door open and close but no footsteps so I know it was her. She was talking to the kids as I made my way downstairs and kissed her cheek as I sat down at the island.

"I have something planned for tonight for the four of us. Wear pajamas too to be comfy. And Finn if I catch you near my jeep I'll kick your ass. It's a surprise. Tonight we're going to have that good dinner I talked about and then the surprise so make sure you're home at 9:00pm. I don't know if you have any plans or not but just be here okay?"

I nodded with a smile as Nova kissed me and went upstairs to shower and change. The boy kept his head down as Shasta babbled on about what she did at school today.

Nova came back down a little while later and distracted Shasta by offering to make her something for lunch. Thank god because I couldn't keep up with her story that went in thirty different directions. That's Nova's job. She somehow understands all of Shasta's crazy stories leaving the rest of us lost and confused. But Nova? Understands them perfectly. Even if they don't make sense to the rest of us.

The boy lit up when Nova tapped on his shoulder and he realized it was her. He hugged her and smiled as she asked what he wanted as well. At least I think that's what's going on. Nova made two sandwiches and poured them a glass of milk as she made herself a BLT. I eyed it and she rolled her eyes, sliding it over to me and began making another one.

She should've asked if I wanted one too.

I was too tired to talk so I just listened to Nova and Shasta talk. She was signing for the boy too and his happy side was showing once again as they went into their own little world and laughed and joked around.

He lights up so bright when Nova is with him. When she's gone he's so reserved and quiet and sad. Shasta makes him happy too but Nova was at training and Shasta was at school so he was alone. When I checked on him earlier Finch said he barely talked to her and just engrossed himself in a book, sitting on the couch in the living room and kept looking at the door. Every time someone came in he would get excited and then deflate when it wasn't Nova.

He really did love her. It's so weird seeing both sides of him. I haven't really experienced him without Nova. When she's around he's happy and outgoing and so full of life. But when she's gone he's completely different. It made me sad seeing him so sad and lost.

A child should never feel that way. They should be like Shasta. Always loud and bouncing off the walls and telling jokes and stories that don't make sense. He really is like Nova. It's kind of weird. They're not even related but their personalities match pretty hard.

I wish he would be more comfortable with us but I know it's just going to take time. Nova has been the only constant his whole life aside from residing in an orphanage. That made me sad too. An orphanage was the only home he's known his whole life. And that's not a home fit for a child. Not at all. Nova told me he had a room alone away from everyone and the other kids didn't bother with him because he was deaf.

That was fucked up too. It made me think about how special Shasta truly is. She didn't care he couldn't hear. She still played with him and attempted to sign for him and loved spending time with him. Even if they couldn't properly communicate it didn't stop them from having fun together.

Nova cleaned up after us and asked the kids what they wanted to do. Shasta said she wanted to color and grabbed her coloring books and crayons. The boy's eyes lit up as he moved to sit beside her and they each colored a page in her book.

"Wanna cuddle on the couch and watch a movie?" Nova asked me with a smile.

"Sure. It's your turn to pick."

We sat down on the couch and got comfy once she picked a movie and honestly today was feeling like a lazy day for me so this was perfect. I was laying out across the couch and Nova was laying on top of me with her head on my chest. She put on Step Brothers and I don't know when it happened but we both ended up falling asleep.

I woke up to a poke to my face and narrowed my eyes at the culprit. It was Shasta of course.

"We're hungry."

I looked outside and it had gotten a little dark so we must've slept for a while. I shook Nova and she cracked open her eyes, releasing a big yawn.

"I think it's time for dinner. We've been asleep for a while."

Nova sat up and looked outside and her eyes went wide. "Oh shit!"

Nova hopped up and rushed into the kitchen and started making dinner for us. She ran upstairs and brought down the rootbeers as she began to plate everything and had us all come to the island to eat. She had split a small steak between the two kids and made the king's cut steaks for us. Baked potatoes and peas for the sides. I took a sip of the rootbeer and it was delicious.

"Definitely get more." I said as I took a few more chugs. Nova chuckled and nodded as she drank more too.

I partook in some of the conversation but I couldn't really talk to the boy so I felt a little left out but I didn't let it bother me. Not with how happy the three of them looked.

Once we finished dinner Nova cleaned up after us again and told us to go sit in our rooms until she was ready. The kids went to Shasta's room as I headed up to mine. I tried to listen in on what she was doing but she was all over the place. The microwave was going off, the doors were opening and closing. I think she's hammering something to the side of the house too. What is that woman doing?

About thirty minutes later I heard her jeep start and drive away. Well okay then. I wonder where she's going. I stayed in our room just in case when I heard her come in through the back door and call us down to the backyard. Shasta and the boy made it out the doors first and I wasn't far behind them. Nova had parked her jeep in the backyard and waved excitedly when we finally made it out to her.

"You said you missed this. And there weren't any around so I brought it to you."

I didn't understand what she had done until she pointed behind me. I turned around and my jaw dropped. I looked back at the jeep and then at the screen again. She brought the drive-in movie to me. I haven't been to one in so long.

"And it's your favorite movie too. Shaun of the Dead."

I can't believe she did this for me.

"Now let's hop in the jeep and get this party started!"

We all climbed into the jeep from the back and I loved the setup. All of the seats were pushed down and a blanket was lied out for us to lay on. Nova had put an array of snacks on the middle console for us too. Popcorn, nachos. An array of candy and more rootbeer and other drinks.

Nova laid on the left and I was on the right. Shasta was next to me and the boy was beside Nova. Nova smiled at me and pressed play on the movie.

I just stared at her for a moment. I couldn't help it. She made something I missed the most happen for me. And I never thought I would experience it again. She's amazing.

"You're supposed to be watching the movie Finn." She teased, eating another mouthful of popcorn.

I turned my eyes to the screen and did watch it. Nova had put on the subtitles for the boy so the four of us were laughing as the movie played on. Halfway through the kids fell asleep and I was staring at Nova again.

What did I do to deserve her?

Once the movie ended we carefully picked up a kid each and brought them inside, laying them down on Shasta's bed. The boy woke up as Nova covered them with the blanket and signed something to her.

"Translation please."

Nova chuckled, signing back to him. "He asked if he's leaving tomorrow. I told him one more night."

He signed again and her smile slightly fell but she quickly masked it with a smile and signed back.

"He said he never wants to leave. I told him he can visit us whenever he wants. So it's not forever."

The boy smiled at Nova and stuck his arms up at her. She leaned down and hugged him tight, pulling away to kiss his forehead and sign something else. He made the same sign as he turned onto his side and closed his eyes. I led Nova up to our room and we both collapsed in bed.

"Anything fun planned for tomorrow? It's his last trial day."

Nova frowned and sighed as I felt sadness pour out of her in waves.

"My answer isn't a complete no Nova. So far...even though I can't talk to him he seems like he's a really good kid. So do you have anything planned for tomorrow? How do you plan on pushing me over the edge I'm teetering on?"

Nova smiled slightly and turned over to grab her journal. "I have a full day of activities planned. Finger painting. Tye-dye shirts. Shell collecting on the beach. I found a really good spot too so my boy can find one for himself. A beautiful hiking trail I walked the other day. And we're ending the night with s'mores and a camp-out at a another good spot I found the other day. It reminds me of our special place just without the water. But the sky is so clear you can see every star and constellation. I'll take him back to the orphanage and give you a few days to think about it. And I won't push it once. Well maybe at least once."

I smiled and kissed her, pulling her into my chest. "I will have my answer the morning after our experience tomorrow."

I could feel Nova grow nervous as she said she had to do something really quick. I heard her knock on Finch's door as I got comfy and tried to stay awake for when she comes back but I could barely keep my eyes open.

"This is so weird Finch I don't know-Shh. He'll hear you. Just do it Nova."

Normally I'd be more curious but I was so tired I didn't care. Tomorrow was going to be a big day for all of us. I just hope if I say no Nova doesn't completely hate me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.7K 1.3K 38
Many people didn't believe the destruction of the earth would arrive. And no one was prepared when the entire universe was engulfed in a sick plague...
43.5K 432 34
This is my 1st book off of a brain injury that almost killed me i am 6/24 months healed so plz dont hate on me that much. The story is about a younge...
36K 943 48
Infected. They plagued the city, the people and nowhere was safe. How do you live in a world where every breath could be your last, one bite could ta...
8.8K 845 62
Thanks to Nova a cure was made to eradicate the disease from the infected world. Those who weren't too far gone were turned back to human, others who...