Disdain, Agony, Hope, and Lov...

anakinpadmeforlife által

Pride and Prejudice from the eyes of Mr. Darcy. Love, affection, pain, and tons and tons of angst. Több

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Epilogue

Chapter 42

2K 116 7
anakinpadmeforlife által

Comments and votes, please :)

If Mr and Mrs Gardiner had not invited him to dine at their house in Cheapside, Darcy would have probably left immediately after the wedding. He had not been to Pemberley for almost a year, and when he had returned, he had left after four days. Spending more time with the Gardiners was not unappealing though, and he delayed his departure until Wednesday.

For the first time, Darcy went to Cheapside, and for the first time in his life, he entered one of the houses. Gracechurch Street, though the houses were not so large, was orderly and neat. The inhabitants respected everyone's privacy, occasionally greeting their neighbours when they saw one another.

A man of Darcy's standing had not often ventured into their lives, but though he was given some curious glances, he was undisturbed. Finding the Gardiner's house, he knocked on the door. The servant opened it and announced his arrival.

Mr and Mrs Gardiner had been sitting in the drawing room with their children, who shyly looked at the floor. Mrs Gardiner introduced each of them, two girls and two boys to Darcy, gently prompting them to greet him.

"Children, this is our friend, Mr Darcy. Mr Darcy, this is Alice, Kate, William and Robert," said Mrs Gardiner, going down the line. As each of their names was called, each child curtsied or bowed.

These children, the eldest cannot be more than eight, already have better manners than some of their cousins, thought he. There was ample evidence of the Gardiner's good parenting. Darcy wondered just how Jane and Elizabeth had turned out so well in comparison to their younger sisters. Perhaps Mr and Mrs Gardiner had a hand in their upbringing?

Bending slightly so that his tall frame was not so imposing, he returned the favour. When he looked up, he observed Mr and Mrs Gardiner sharing a smile.

"Dinner shall be ready soon," said Mr Gardiner. "In the meantime, children, don't make too much noise while you are playing."

Darcy watched as the children quietly returned to the activities his arrival had interrupted. Alice and Kate brought their dolls to little Robert and enacted stories they had made up while William piled blocks on top of each other with serious concentration.

"They are wonderful children," said he to Mrs Gardiner.

"Children are the hope of our world's future," added Mr Gardiner with pride as he lovingly watched Kate give her doll to Robert.

"But they need good parents to guide them in the first years of their lives," said Mrs Gardiner.

"I almost envy your children, Mrs Gardiner, "said Darcy honestly, "My mother died in Georgiana's birth and my father joined her in Heaven five years ago. At least I have some memory of my mother, vague though it may be. Georgiana unfortunately does not share that pleasure. I have had to take over my parent's position in bringing her up."

"And a wonderful job you have done of it, sir," responded Mr Gardiner. "For one who has had few examples to learn from, you have done very well as a parent."

Mrs Gardiner smiled at the young man. "Yes, it would seem you have been more of a father to Miss Darcy than an elder brother. If you had children of your own, you would make an excellent father."

"I would need a wife first," replied Darcy, laughing.

Mrs Gardiner smiled at his remark. "My joy at Alice's birth was increased fourfold, and now my happiness in marriage is complete."

"If you would count Jane and Elizabeth, one could almost say we have had six children to care for," said Mr Gardiner. "They visited us frequently when they were younger, but the younger girls have preferred to remain at home with my sister."

"It would seem that your parenting is quite different from your relatives," said Darcy delicately.

Mr Gardiner sighed. "I sometimes wish that we could have had more of a hand in bringing up Mary, Kitty and Lydia, but it is too late for anything to be remedied."

"I see. I had often wondered at the difference between the two eldest and the younger Bennet sisters."

"It is wonderful to see that Jane and Lizzy, before such sweet girls, have grown up into such beautiful women. Soon, they will marry; I would be saddened indeed if their husbands were not worthy of them," said Mr Gardiner. His wife agreed, nodding her head thoughtfully.

"Jane needs someone who will care for her selflessly, and Elizabeth's husband would have to a man who could match her spirit and independence. I know that they must also think of fortune, but I hope that they will put love and happiness before anything."

Elizabeth will only marry for love, and she does not love me.

"It will be difficult, to find two such men that were perfect for them," said Darcy.

"Come now, sir, do you not believe that there is a match for everyone one in this world?" chided Mrs Gardiner. "God made Eve for Adam; does it not follow that every one of His children should also have someone created for them?"

"I do not know; so far, I have seen no evidence of it."

He had seen very few marriages that seemed made in Heaven. True there were some; his own parents, some of his acquaintances, Lord and Lady Fitzwilliam . . . but when compared to the number of bad marriages he had seen, the ratio was very small.

"I certainly believe it is true, for I have been so fortunate as to meet my wife," smiled Mr Gardiner.

"I do not know if I have met the woman who is for me," replied Darcy softly.

"But of course you do not know when you first meet them - only future events will tell, and even so, you must still make your own choices and take the risk to find out if the one you believe is your partner-in-life, really is so."

A sudden tumble of blocks was heard crashing to the floor. William cried at the sight of his hard work lying scattered over the area and Mrs Gardiner immediately rose and went to her son's side, while Alice tried to pick up the blocks, her father helping. Mrs Gardiner tried to sooth her son, who refused to be calmed.

"Come now, William, we shall build a better tower this time, one that will not fall over so easily," coaxed Mr Gardiner, taking the blocks from Alice. He placed blocks on top of each other, in a more stable design while William's sobs lessened as he watched his father. When it was finished, William laughed.

Darcy watched this little family scene from where he sat. Mr and Mrs Gardiner were such wonderful parents, and not only did they care for their own offspring, they were willing to help and look after any others who wished for their assistance. He instinctively felt that the Gardiners would treat him almost as one of their own.

For once, he could rely on someone, rather than having everyone rely on him.

The servant entered and announced that dinner was ready. Mr Gardiner took the hands of his two daughters and led them into the dining room, William and Robert following behind. Mrs Gardiner smiled at Darcy and he escorted her inside.

The meal was certainly not as elegant as the ones he had with Georgiana and the Bingleys, not with four young children wanting attention, but it was by far more comfortable and friendly. The dinner itself was simple yet tasted delicious. Darcy enjoyed himself thoroughly.

Afterwards, Mrs Gardiner put the children were put to bed, leaving the two men to converse among themselves in Mr Gardiner's study.

Darcy glanced at the bookshelves, noting that many of the best volumes that sat there were ones he had himself. Mr Gardiner watched him, saying, "I doubt you will find one there that you have not read. Your library at Pemberley is more complete than my modest study."

"Yes, but my family has had the advantage of time to build up such a large collection." He rose from his seat and took down two of the books. "And yet, even with such an advantage, I do not have these which I have searched for a long time unsuccessfully."

"Which ones are they?" asked Mr Gardiner. When he saw which ones Darcy spoke of, he said,

"Ah, these I remember - Jane and Lizzy were staying with us some time ago, and my wife and I took them to the bookstore. Lizzy discovered those, and found them so interesting I bought them for her. She finished them within a day and forgot to bring them home with her. You are at liberty to borrow them, if you wish."

Darcy thanked him gratefully. Seeing a portrait of a family that included a woman who seemed a younger Mrs Bennet, Darcy wondered out aloud if Lydia would ever come to recognise her folly in eloping with Mr. Wickham.

"In time, she will come to realise her mistake," replied Mr Gardiner, sighing. "But by then, it will be to late; they are bound to each other until death parts them. But perhaps, it is possible that Mr Wickham will take advantage of this new beginning and life his life anew?" asked Mr Gardiner hopefully.

"I wish I could say yes, but I know him too well to believe that he will mend his ways."

"Do you think that Mr and Mrs Wickham will abide by their promises not to tell anyone of your involvement?" asked Mr Gardiner.

"Mr Wickham will not; he would not want the Bennet family to know any more of his conduct than they do already, nor would he want it known that I have assisted him so much, not after what he has told everyone about me."

"Yes, I had heard some of those lies that he spread around the neighborhood," said Mr. Gardiner shaking his head. "They were quite malicious and I am afraid to say that he told them with such skill that many believed them."

"Does the whole of Meryton believe me to have wronged Mr. Wickham?" said Darcy.

"I am sorry to say that they did, though some people's opinions did change. Elizabeth, one of the ones who most vehemently stood by Mr Wickham, now knows that she was mistaken." He looked at Darcy. "My niece told us of the truth of Mr Wickham's character during our return to Longbourn, and that she had acquired her information from her visit to Kent last spring. I may hazard a guess as to the source of her information, and I thank him for opening her eyes."

"But had I told her earlier, when I first learned that Wickham was in town, the entire elopement could have been prevented," replied Darcy, still harboring guilt about his reluctance to reveal Wickham's character.

"Mr Darcy, how can you blame yourself? I do not, nor does my wife, and, truth be told, neither does Lizzy. She first blamed herself if you can believe it, for withholding her knowledge for so long, yet she also did not foresee Lydia's action even though she has known Lydia since birth. If she could not have foreseen it, neither could you. She no longer blames herself, and so neither can she blame you."

Elizabeth does not blame me? thought Darcy, startled. Surely I deserve it, yet she does not? Can this be true?

He looked at Mr Gardiner. He had come to learn that he could be trusted; Mr Gardiner would not have told him this just for his peace of mind. So it must be true.

"I . . .I thank you, sir," said Darcy sincerely.

They talked of other subjects, and as the hours passed, Darcy's respect for Mr Gardiner increased. He was a well-educated man, who shared his love of reading. He found himself telling Mr Gardiner more and more about his life, asking for advice on this and that. Mr Gardiner would listen carefully and give him enough information to guide Darcy to a solution.

When the night had advanced quite late, Darcy left the Gardiners.

"I thank you for your hospitality, sir," said Darcy, shaking Mr Gardiner's hand. He turned to Mrs Gardiner, who had come to see him off and took his leave of her. She acknowledged him, and, after many invitations to meet again sometime if Darcy should be in London, he departed from the homely house in Cheapside with a lightened heart.

_________________________________________

The next day, he left London and returned to Derbyshire, Wickham now out of his life forever.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

3.9K 39 19
A collection of short fluffy scenes between Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth that documents their rocky beginnings to the sweet unexpected end.
73.8K 2.1K 174
Reading P&P, Mr Darcy's feelings seem rather acute, but do not get much attention. This story explores them from the moment just after his rejection...
29K 1.1K 38
Mr Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet acknowledge their true feelings for one another - Follows on from The Beginning of Hope
25.9K 602 20
A woman's heart is like a treasure of secrets. Their feelings are always hidden perfectly as they have a way, a technique to conceal those feelings...