Disdain, Agony, Hope, and Lov...

By anakinpadmeforlife

Pride and Prejudice from the eyes of Mr. Darcy. Love, affection, pain, and tons and tons of angst. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Epilogue

Chapter 33

2.5K 136 47
By anakinpadmeforlife

Votes and comments, please :)

The journey to Derbyshire was long, as well as hot, it being summer and all. But it was also uneventful; the moderate pace at which he travelled nearly lulled Darcy into sleep a few times along the way.

Finally, after many days journey, the village of Lambton came into view. Behind it, Darcy could see the facade of Pemberley house.

Home.

Darcy reined in his horse, tired. He did not feel up to riding through the village, where he would be the object of much scrutiny and observation. He had travelled this road many times and he was sick of it, wanting some change.

Well, why not?

He turned the horse's head around to approach Pemberley from behind.

______________________________________________________

After fifteen minutes hard riding, he slowed and strayed off the path. The afternoon sun was warm, and his dark green coat did not help matters much. Darcy was tired, the horse was tired, but they were nearly there. He could see Pemberley through the trees.

There was sunlight glinting off the lake. The waters looked cool, refreshing. Darcy sighed, wishing he dared swim. But it was not a proper thing for a gentleman to do. If one wanted to swim, Brighton was the place for it.

The water was very inviting though . . .

Who cares? These are my own grounds. I can do whateer I please!

He nudged the horse into a tired gallop towards the lake. A few metres from the edge he halted and dismounted. Leaving the animal there to graze, he put his hat and cane down on the green grass. Darcy walked towards the water's edge, removing his jacket as he did so. He sat down and began to undo his cravat.

As he did so, he wondered if all had been well at the estate in his prolonged absence. With a feeling of guilt, he realised he had been away for nearly a year.

I would have returned sooner, had not my attention been focussed . . . elsewhere . . . somewhere . . . someone.

Get your mind off her.

Vest, boots, all were removed until he stood, clad only in his shirt and breeches.

He looked at the calm water for a moment, then dived in.

The surface was warmed by the sun, but below it was cool and refreshing. Darcy swam through the cold water, a brief respite from duty and from the tumult of his tormented and unhappy feelings, before lack of air forced him to resurface.

The next quarter of an hour was spent in a similar fashion. For a few moments, Darcy could forget all his worries and responsibilities and just enjoy himself.

It was those same worries and responsibilities that brought Darcy back to the present moment. The day could not be spent in sport - he had things to do. That business with Mr Cage for example . . . oh, what was it again?

Yes, I really need to be heading home now.

Reluctantly, Darcy exited the water and gathered his clothing. He went to fetch his horse, only to see it gone. He searched the nearby area, and sighed with relief as he saw one of the groundsmen leading it back.

"Sir? Are you all right, sir?" asked he, concerned.

"I am quite fine. Thankyou," added Darcy. He began walking in the direction of Pemberley House. The groundsman followed behind, leading the horse.

They approached the trees, Darcy carrying his clothing in his right and his hat in his left. The slight breeze was easily felt through his wet shirt and it cooled him a little.

"Would you like to ride him, sir?" asked the servant.

"No, no, take him home to the stable," said Darcy, dismissing him. The man led the horse away to the left, while he continued his way alone.

He was nearly home. Just past the trees, down the hill covered with small yellow flowers . . .

The trees thinned out, Darcy looked up from the ground to rest his eyes on . . . Elizabeth Bennet.

He stopped and stared an absolute shock.

What in God's name is she doing here?

"Mr Darcy!" said she, obviously as surprised as he.

There was a pause as Darcy found his voice.

"Miss Bennet!" That was all he managed to say before his tongue stopped. "I . . .er . . . " he continued, fumbling for words.

"I . . . I did not expect to see you . . . . . . sir . . . . " Her voice trailed off and Darcy saw her lower her fine eyes from his face to the region of his chest. He was painfully aware that he was clad in only breeches and linen shirt, the latter being rather transparent due to his earlier activity. He grew hot and Elizabeth seemed just as embarrassed.

She pulled her eyes and focussed them on a more appropriate place. "We understood the family to be from home or we would never have presumed . . . "

"I arrived a day early," said he, finding his voice again.

She did not seem as if she still detested him; if she did, she would have turned her back on him and walked quickly away. Distractedly, Darcy realised that here was the chance to show her that he could act in a more 'gentlemanlike manner'.

"Excuse me, is your family in good health?"

"Ah, yes, they are very well . . . I thankyou, sir . . ."

"I'm glad to hear it," replied Darcy genuinely. He searched for something more to say. "How long have you been in this part of the country?"

"But two days sir."

"And you are staying . . . ?"

"At the end of Lambton?"

"Yes, of course. I've just arrived myself . . . " He tore his eyes from her face, embarrassed in his present state. "And your parents are in good health? and all your sisters . . . " he said stupidly.

She laughed, making him even more uncomfortable. "Yes, they are all in excellent health."

The conversation ground to a halt. Darcy tapped his cane against his chest, growing more and more embarrassed.

What must she think of me?

He had better hurry indoors and cloth himself more appropriately.

"Excuse me . . . "

He bowed and walked past her, forcing himself not to run.

The moment he was out of her sight, he began to run.

_______________________________________________________

Darcy nearly flew into through the door, nearly knocking over a serving girl carrying a tray of dishes. She did not let it fall however, but as Darcy ran up the stairs to his own room, he heard a smash as the girl dropped the tray at the sight of her master. Darcy did not register this, but quickly grabbed some clothing and hurriedly changed without even bothering to call for his valet.

I might still be able to catch her!

Elizabeth's very unexpected appearance was a great shock, but whether he felt more pleasure or pain at seeing her he did not yet know. All he knew at the present moment was that she was here, on his property, and he had about three minutes to prove to her that he was willing to forget their past differences and show her that he was prepared to be apologetic, tender, amiable and unsnobbish.

In four minutes he was nearly ready. Darcy ran out of the room, bumping into Mrs Reynolds.

"Good sir, whatever is the matter? We have had visitors here today and they are - "

"I know, I know, Mrs Reynolds!" shouted Darcy, flying down the stairs, adjusting his cravat.

A servant hurriedly opened the front foor. Darcy ran through, down the stairs, still buttoning his jacket.

In the courtyard he finally slowed, breathing deeply. Another precious moment was taken to check his appearance then he went in search of ELizabeth.

He did not have to search very long for he spotted hre walking at a hurried pace in front of the entry to the courtyard where Darcy could see the back of a carriage. He quickly went after her, calling out, "Miss Bennet!"

Elizabeth stopped at the sound of his voice and turned. She did not smile and Darcy knew that she was stil shaken by his sudden sppearance, as well as his recent appearance itself.

Darcy plowed on.

"Please allow me to apologise for not recieving you properly just now. You are not leaving?"

Elizabeth averted her eyes towards the ground.

"Yes sir, I believe we must."

We?

"I hope you are not displeased with Pemberley?" said he, finding a safe topic of conversation.

"No, not at all."

"Then you approve," replied Darcy hopefully. He was dimly aware that there were two people standing behind him.

"Very much." She smiled. "There are few who would not approve."

Darcy cared not about other's approval - Elizabeth's was all that mattered.

"But your approval is rarely bestowed and therefore more worth the earning."

Darcy favoured her with one of his rare amiles. The atmosphere had become a little uncomfortable, and he turned to see who their companions were.

The pair were well-dressed and politely standing to one side, not interfering but certainly alive with curiosity. Their general air was dignified and calm; Darcy wondered who these people of fashion were that were so kind as to accompany his love.

No, not love. All you can hope from her is friendship.

"Will you do me the honour of introducing me to your friends?" asked Darcy, gesturing towards them.

"Certainly," replied she. They walked over to the man and woman. Elizabeth stood in between Darcy and her friends.

"Mr and Mrs Gardiner, Mr Darcy."

Mr Gardiner removed his hat and Darcy saw he and his wife exchange a meaningful glance. These people were obviously very observant and had noticed something.

"Mrs Gardiner is my aunt, Mr Darcy," continued Elizabeth, a slightly challenging note in her voice. "My sister Jane stayed at their house in Cheapside when she was lately in London."

Darcy was surprised. So these were the infamous Cheapside relatives? Darcy had taken them to be people of fashion. He was relieved to note that not all Elizabeth's family were not people to be ashamed of.

"Delighted to make your aquaintance sir, delighted madam," said Darcy, bowing to each of them in turn. "You are staying at Lambton I hear."

"Yes, sir. I grew up there as a girl," replied Mrs Gardiner.

"Delightful village. I remember running there almost everyday as a boy from Pemberley to Lambton during the horse-chesnut season. There was one very fine tree there . . . " said he, trying to remember which tree it was.

"On the green. By the smithy," answered Mrs Gardiner with a smile.

"The very one." Darcy turned his attention to the gentleman. "Mr Gardiner, do you care for fishing?"

"Indeed I do sir, when I get the chance of it."

"Well, if you have time, you must come and fish in my trout stream. Oh, there are carp, tench and pike a-plenty if your course runs to fishing; I should be happy to lend you rods and tackle and show you all the best spots."

Darcy was acutely aware of Elizabeth standing close to him on his left, staring at him with a kind of wonder.

At least her eyes no longer reflect hatred.

He continued, "Or - let us walk down now. Follow us to the lake, my man," he called out towards the carriage driver. He turned back to the trio. "I will show you."

Darcy walked by Mr Gardiner's side, keeping up a pleasant conversation about the sport and fish in general. Mr Gardiner proved to be intelligent and cordial and a pleasure to talk to. He sensed the ladies following behind, speaking closely to one another.

He took them to the edge of the lawn whicxh commanded a good view of the river. Mr Gardiner pointed out the places he suspected held the most fish, and Darcy was surprised to see that the man had got most of his guesses right.

After some minutes, Darcy could no longer restrain himself, and went to Elizabeth, who was standing a little way from the rest of the company. He gestured for her to preceed him in the walk around to the walk.

At such a time, they both wished to speak, and both began,

"I, errrr . . . "

They both broke off.

"Please, continue," said Darcy.

"I was going to say again, sir, how very unexpected your arrival was. Had we known that you were to return today we would not have dreamt of invading your privacy," said Elizabeth uncomfortably.

"Please, do not make yourself uneasy - I had planned it so myself but found that I had business with my steward and so rode on ahead of the rest of the party." There was a pause after this speech. Darcy looked at his fair companion, who returned his gaze. Nervously he twisted his ring.

"They will join me tomorrow; and among them tose who will claim an aquaintance with you." Darcy dropped his hands and his gaze. "Mr . . . Bingley and his sisters."

"Oh . . . " She also looked away. Darcy was painfully reminded of the last time Mr Bingley's name had been mentioned between them; and from Elizabeth's countenace, her thoughts were not much more differently engaged.

Darcy suddenly remembered Georgiana.

Even if we are not to be friends, then at least she and Georgiana can meet each other.

It was the highest compliment he could bestow on Elizabeth.

"There is also one other person in the party," he continued after a pause, "who more particularly wishes to be known to you. Will you allow me - or do I ask too much, to introduce my sister to your acquaintance during your stay at Lambton?"

Elizabeth looked at him in surprise.

Shocks and surprises seem to be the order of the day.

"I would be honoured, sir," replied she shyly.

They now walked on in silence; each of them deep in thought. Darcy was still too uncomfortable to easily talk. One thought dominated his maind - what did Elizabeth now think of him?

He was certain that she no longer hated him, that much was obvious. She seemed as if to view him with undisguised wonder, as if she could not comprehend what she was seeing.

Is she comparing my behaviour with her memory of the past? Darcy asked himself. Surely she can tell that I have changed.

Darcy looked at her. She was still beautiful, though perhaps not as lively as times past. He was confused as to how she felt about him, how she now saw him.

There was only he knew for certain, though; he still loved her, even after all these months, misunderstandings and his trials and tribulations in London. And as he reflected upon it, he realised he had never stopped loving her.

He began to wish that she returned his affections. But no - that was an impossibility. He told himself that all they could now be were common and indifferent aquaintances.

They had walked in relative silence for most of the walk. As they were younger, they had soon outstripped the older couple. They arrived at the road where the carriage was waiting.

He then asked her to walk into the house, but she declared herself not tired, and they stood together on the lawn. At such a time, much might have been said, and silence was very awkward. He wanted to talk, but there seemed an embargo on every subject. At last he recollected that Elizabeth had been travelling, and they talked of Matlock and Dove Dale with great perseverance. Yet time and the Gardiners moved slowly - and his patience and ideas were nearly worn out before the tÕte-›-tÕte was over. On Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner's coming up, Darcy pressed them to go into the house and take some refreshment; but this was declined.

Mr Gardiner climbed into the carriage and Darcy assisted Mrs Gardiner in doing the same. He turned to ELizabeth, half-expecting her to decline his help and get in herself, but instead to his surprise (and pleasure) she held out her hand. Darcy gently took it and handed her into the carriage.

"Thankyou," said she before sitting down.

Darcy closed the door.

"I hope we shall meet again very soon," said he hopefully. "Good day Mr Gardiner, Mrs Gardiner," said he, nodding to each of hte two in turn.

He looked for a moment at Elizabeth.

"Good day, Miss Bennet."

Darcy bowed his head and stepped away. The carriage moved slowly forward. He lifted his head to see Elizabeth and her relatives one more time.

Then she looked back at him.

Darcy stood still, and held her gaze until they passed around the corner and out of sight.

He sighed, content, and walked slowly back to the house.

_______________________________________________________

Mrs Reynolds was waiting just inside with the main servants to officially greet the returning master.

"Sir, it is a pleasure to se you again," said she.

"It is a pleasure to be home," returned he. "I apologise for my hasty entrance before; I hope I did not startle you too much," he said to the maid who was standing beside the housekeeper.

"Oh, I am quite well now, sir."

"The visitors we had here earlier today?" said Mrs Reynolds. "I believe you went to attend to them."

"Yes I did. Tell me, Mrs Reynolds, what did they say?"

"Oh, it seems that you and the young lady have met before."

"Yes, we know each other," said Darcy, hiding a smile.

"I told them all about you, sir, how good a master you are and all. The young lady seemed to take it all quite to heart."

"Did she now?" said he, pleased.

"She also said she recognised Mr Wickham among the minatures. I told her that he had turned out very wild and was now in the army. But then I showed her the portrait of you upstairs in the gallery, and dear me, she spent ten minutes in front of it, just staring at it with a small smile on her face."

"Oh?"

"Yes, she did. In the end her aunt had to shake her out of it, sir," said Mrs Reynolds, a grin lighting up her homely features.

"That is very interesting news."

And it was. For now, a small spark in him had arisen. Hope that perhaps Elizabeth did feel more for him than he had first thought.

"Very nice folk they were," continued the housekeeper. "The gentleman and his wife were very kind. Their niece, if I may say so, is a very lovely, charming young lady."

Darcy agreed wholeheartedly.

_______________________________________________________

For the first time in many a month, Darcy slept under his own roof.

The day had been very interesting indeed. Elizabeth was no more than five miles away from him, and it seemed that the past had been put behind them. There was certainly no ill-will between them any longer.

Darcy had checked that all would be ready for Georgiana when she arrived tomorrow. The sitting-room was done to perfection, and the new instrument sat proudly in the same room.

And I have another surprise for her, thought Darcy with anticipation. She will meet Elizabeth Bennet.

And that means I shall also see her again.

Did he dare hope that maybe, just maybe, his dreams might come true?

He thought back to when they had come upon each other in the garden, he less formally attired than normal. Darcy remembered the fire in her eyes as she had looked at him - not at his face but at the rest of him.

The feeling that look had generated was very pleasant indeed . . .

Darcy looked at the empty pillow beside him. He envisioned Elizabeth lying there, asleep.

There was no pain in the vision this time, nor did he reject it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 39 19
A collection of short fluffy scenes between Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth that documents their rocky beginnings to the sweet unexpected end.
3.1K 258 32
Devastated by his cousin's betrayal and watching all his hopes of future happiness slip away, Colonel Fitzwilliam calls on assistance from surprising...
10.9K 1.1K 13
Okay, bear with me. As much as I love Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice as a representation of that time era, as a feminist, I couldn't find myself w...
29K 1.1K 38
Mr Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet acknowledge their true feelings for one another - Follows on from The Beginning of Hope