A Reason to Change | Connor x...

By sugarlizzz_

NEW BOOK TITLE - Previously known as "We Live, Therefore We Are" You never had anything against androids... I... More

Author's Note
Prompt
1 : F A S C I N A T I O N [1/3]
1 : F A S C I N A T I O N [2/3]
1 : F A S C I N A T I O N [3/3]
2 : C H A S E [1/4]
2 : C H A S E [2/4]
2 : C H A S E [3/4]
2 : C H A S E [4/4]
3 : T H E _ N E S T [1/4]
3 : T H E _ N E S T [2/4]
3 : T H E _ N E S T [3/4]
3 : T H E _ N E S T [4/4]
4 : R E S T I N G [1/4]
4 : R E S T I N G [2/4]
4 : R E S T I N G [3/4]
4 : R E S T I N G [4/4]
5 : E D E N _ C L U B [1/4]
5 : E D E N _ C L U B [2/4]
5 : E D E N _ C L U B [3/4]
5 : E D E N _ C L U B [4/4]
6 : L I G H TS _ O U T
7 : T H E _ B R I D G E
8 : C O N F L I C T E D [1/3]
8 : C O N F L I C T E D [2/3]
8 : C O N F L I C T E D [3/3]
9 : P U B L I C _ E N E M Y [1/5]
9 : P U B L I C _ E N E M Y [2/5]
9 : P U B L I C _ E N E M Y [3/5]
9 : P U B L I C _ E N E M Y [4/5]
9 : P U B L I C _ E N E M Y [5/5]
10 : K A M S K I [1/3]
10 : K A M S K I [2/3]
11: L A S T _ C H A N C E [1/3]
11: L A S T _ C H A N C E [2/3]
11: L A S T _ C H A N C E [3/3]
12: J E R I C H O [1/4]
12: J E R I C H O [2/4]
12: J E R I C H O [3/4]
12: J E R I C H O [4/4]
13 : S O _ C L O S E [1/5]
13 : S O _ C L O S E [2/5]
A/N (Not Dead)
13 : S O _ C L O S E [3/5]
13 : S O _ C L O S E [4/5]
A/N ( ! NEW BOOK TITLE ! )
13 : S O _ C L O S E [5/5]

10 : K A M S K I [3/3]

3.8K 152 34
By sugarlizzz_

Kamski smiled, letting out a tiny chuckle. "Well, that's what you're programmed to say... But you..." he stepped closer to the android, and you could immediately feel the atmosphere become a lot more tense.

"What do you really want?"

"What I want... is... not important." Connor responded.

"... Chloe?" Kamski turned around, calling the female android, and she walked over quietly.
"I'm sure you're familiar with the Turing test." Elijah began. "Mere formality. Simple question of algorithms and computing capacity." He explained while grabbing Chloe by the shoulders to position her directly in front of Connor. "What interests me, is whether machines are capable of empathy. I call it 'the Kamski test'. It's very simple, you'll see..." He turned to look at Chloe. "Magnificent, isn't it? One of the first intelligent models developed by CyberLife." He stroked her cheek gently, turning her head towards him. "Young, and beautiful forever. A flower that will never wither." Kamski looked back at you. "But what is it really?" he asked. "Piece of plastic imitating a human? Or a living being..." He turned around and opened the drawer of a side table standing right behind him, to grab something lying inside. "...with a soul." Your eyes widened as soon as you saw what he was holding; a gun... He raised his arms to signal he wasn't going to use it, before placing a hand on the female android's shoulder next to him, making her go down on her knees. "It's up to you to answer that fascinating question, Connor." Kamski said while walking over to him once more and handing him the weapon. He took his hand to lead it, extending his arm, making him aim at the android kneeling before him. "Destroy this machine and I'll tell you all I know." Kamski explained. "Or spare it, if you feel it's alive... But you'll leave here without having learnt anything from me."

Your concern grew as you noticed Connor's LED rapidly blinking yellow, and you exchanged looks with Hank.

"Okay, I think we're done here." The Lieutenant declared. "Come on, Connor. Let's go. Sorry to get you out of your pool."
But Kamski completely ignored Anderson and continued. "What's more important to you, Connor?" He questioned him. "Your investigation, or the life of this android?" He looked him directly in the eyes.
"Decide who you are... An obedient machine... Or a living being... endowed with free will..."
"That's enough!" Hank exclaimed. "Connor, (Y/N), we're leaving."
"Pull the trigger..." Kamski leaned towards Connor, his voice lowered.
"Please don't..." you said quietly.
"...and I'll tell you what you wanna know."
You gulped nervously and in anticipation, clenching your fists, hoping to whatever holy being that he would not shoot.

Connor blinked, his LED turning red, as he handed the weapon back to Kamski with a somewhat pained look on his face.

"Fascinating." Kamski whispered, taking the gun slowly. "CyberLife's last chance to save humanity... is itself a deviant..."
Connor looked down. "I'm..." he began quietly. "I'm not a deviant!"
"You preferred to spare a machine rather than accomplish your mission." Elijah helped Chloe get up from the ground. "You saw a living being in this android... You showed empathy." He gestured at her to leave the room and paused, looking at Connor. "A war is coming... You'll have to choose your side... Will you betray your people or stand up against your creators?" He stepped closer to the android. "What could be worse than having to choose between two evils?"

Finally, you've had enough. "Come on, Connor. Let's go." You grabbed him by the arm, dragging him away, marching towards the door. You almost left the room, when Kamski spoke up once more. "By the way... I always leave an emergency exit in my programs... You never know..."
"Come on...!" you whispered, eager to leave as the discomfort you felt within grew.
You barely exited the building and were crossing the small walkway, when Hank asked Connor a question that happened to be burning inside your mind as well. "Why didn't you shoot?"
Connor stopped to turn around, his LED turning red. "I just saw that girl's eyes, and I couldn't... That's all."
"You're always saying you would do anything to accomplish your mission..." Hank mumbled. "That was our chance to learn something, and you let it go..."
"Yeah, I know what I should've done! I told you I couldn't." he stepped closer to Hank.

"I'm sorry. Okay?"

You were taken aback slightly by the distressed look on his face, pulling at your heartstrings just a little. "Connor, don't apologize... I think you did the right thing." You smiled at him softly with Hank nodding in agreement.

He looked at you for a moment, his LED briefly turning yellow, before returning to its usual light blue color.
"Come on. Let's get outta here." Anderson grumbled and you walked to the car with him, Connor following quietly.

You decided to sit in the back with Connor and occasionally looked at him with worry. Seeing him like this saddened you. He looked so... emotional... And even for him, he was unusually quiet, still seemingly distraught. He was looking down, fists slightly clenched, placed on top of his lap.
You wondered what was going through that head of his and thought of what to do, wanting to make him feel better somehow.

After a minute, a thought popped into your head, your heart-rate immediately picking up in speed.
So after mustering up some courage, you quietly took a deep breath, before moving your hand, and placing it on top of Connor's.
He snapped out of it in an instant, looking at you with those dark brown eyes, making you feel like melting away and your face heat up. He looked so... lost.
"Hey, Connor... You're alright... What you did was perfectly fine, okay?" you told him quietly, gently squeezing his hand.

His LED blinked yellow for a moment, and to your surprise, he squeezed back slightly, making you feel like your heart was going to burst out of your chest at any moment.

And finally, his features softened. "... I appreciate it."
"You did the right thing. You really did. I don't know what I would've done had you shot that girl... You absolutely made the right decision." You tried to reassure him with a soft voice.
"But... We went there for nothing... It was a waste of time..."
Out of the corner of your eye, you could see Hank glancing at the two of you through the rearview mirror, without saying a word.
"We're still gonna crack this case. As a team, all three of us. I promise." You smiled at him softly. "I know we can do it, it's not too late."

Connor smiled back at you gently, now looking a lot calmer. "You... You're right. Thank you, (Y/N)..."

Your smile grew even brighter, before removing your hand slowly and turning towards the window trying to hide the heat that has entered your face, hoping he wouldn't notice.

Jesus Christ my heart is beating like a damn Cherokee drum...

The rest of the car ride was spent in silence with Hank's music quietly playing on the stereo. You still glanced at Connor occasionally, ensuring he's alright. You were glad to see that he seemed a lot more relaxed... And of course, no matter how hard you tried, you could not stop thinking about the way you held hands... Even though it wasn't very long, it was like you could still feel it long after, even when getting out of the car at the DPD.

Upon entering the building, all three of you looked around rather confused, as there were no androids by the counter, and no officers anywhere... Going through the security gate, your confusion only grew, when you found all desks to be empty, and no DPD androids at their stations. Only two officers were present, most likely for security reasons.

"Uh, what's going on here?" you asked with your brows furrowed.
"A lot of Officers have been put on leave or patrol, because of the whole deviancy situation."
"Huh... I see..."
As you reached your desks, Fowler came out of his office to address you.
"(Y/N), Hank... Those officers filled you in about what's going on?"
"Yeah... So, what about us?" Hank asked.
"You're currently the only ones dealing with android cases. We might still need you in case something happens. Just get back to work until your shift's over..."
"Right. Got it." You responded and took a seat in your spot. Never having seen the station this quiet, you felt somewhat out of place.

While Hank began to play with his tablet, with Connor using the computer as usual, you reluctantly started taking care of some paperwork. But soon enough, you realized how much trouble you had focusing on it, due to thoughts of Connor continuously distracting you.
You were unable to stop thinking about how emotional he seemed earlier. How he looked at you. How held your hand. Hell, just his presence alone gave you a hard time. You didn't quite want to admit it, but even though you've only known him for a few days, you were head over heels for him...
You took a deep breath to try and stay calm, almost getting upset with yourself over the fact that someone, or something, was able to screw with your head that damn much.

Man, what is this android doing to me...

Focus, god damn it...

"Is everything alright?" Connor looked at you, almost concerned.
"Oh, uh, yeah... I'm just a little stressed..." You smiled weakly.
The android tilted his head very slightly and furrowed his brows, barely noticeable, but still enough to make your heart beat faster in nervousness, fearing he might know you're not quite telling the truth.
"... I understand." Was his final response though, before returning to the computer.
You glanced at Hank, who was looking at you from behind his tablet with an eyebrow raised and a slight smirk on his face. You shook your head at him slowly, in a "Don't you dare" kind of fashion, and turned back to your work.

... Fuck.

Does Connor know?

You were well aware that Hank probably knew, he's not stupid, but you were hoping to god that Connor was a lot more oblivious...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

141K 4.5K 23
Y/n Anderson is her name. Charming and overall a friendly personality, she's the embodiment of the phrase "doing great". Or at least that's what she...
74.4K 4.9K 200
You're Detective Y/N L/N, you worked through the revolution with Lieutenant Hank Anderson and Connor, the Android sent by CyberLife. After winning t...
516K 18.8K 21
Y/N was born in a world without androids. When she was ten, Chloe, the first android was created. Is this why she is sympathetic to the android cause...
DBH By moooo

Fanfiction

67.8K 2.3K 18
Connor, the Android sent by CyberLife and Lieutenant Hank Anderson are now armed with the task of taking care of a five year old girl after she survi...