Secrets To Keep

By huff_la_puff

Harry finally tells everyone he loves about his past--with the help of his best friends of course. He also ma... More

Author's Note
A Full House
Talk To Me
Secret #2
Secret #3
The Box
Telling The Weasleys
1st Year
2nd Year
3rd Year
Luna ♡
Free Day
4th Year Part 1
4th Year Part 2
5th Year
Dinner
6th Year
Seventh Year
What's Wrong With Me?
Seventh Year Part 2
Seventh Year Part 3
Seventh Year Part 4
Seventh Year Part 5
Seventh Year Part 6
S'mores and Sunsets
Seventh Year Part 7
"I'm here for you,"
Seventh Year Part ???
Author's Note.
Extra Chapter
Seventh Year Part 9
Seventh Year Part 10
Question
Soccer and Announcements
Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests
I Passed!
HPSC 11- Albus Dumbledore
She's Strong
Seventh Year Part 12
Seventh Year Part 13
". . . Wow. Er, you look,"
Dinner
Cast I guess?(not update technically)
Seventh Year Part 14
Hippogriff Rides
Seventh Year Part 15
"What's wrong with Hagrid?"
Aunt Petunia
Mr. Lovegood.
The Dreaded Speech.
The Feast
First Class
Stormy
A New Mark
Damiana
Quibbler & Letters
Hogsmeade Weekend
HEEELLLLPPPPPPP
Professor Potter?!
Quibbler Interview
Halloween
Animangus
Potions and Braids
The Cat With Green Eyes
The Wandering Cat
The Howlers
Untitled Part 69
He's Dead
Christmas
Happy Birthday
End of the year
The MC Home
Round Up
The Marauder's Children's Home
Advertisement
Skye and Ellie
Owls, Interviews, and Goodbyes
Shopping
Look What I Found!
Wanna Be Friends
Daily Prophet
The Attack
St. Mungo's
Don't Leave Us
Presents for Harry
Good Bye. We'll Miss You
Ellie
Muggle Music
Diagon Alley
3 a.m. Fun
Lily Evans
Fleur and Bill
Big Brother Talk
Movie Night
Return to Hogwarts
Black Lake
Slytherin Sisters
The Life of HJP
Time Capsule
October 31st
Bullies
Authors Note
Hogsmeade
Christmas Holidays
Marry Me?
Yes, idiot
Delilah May Shultz
Skeeter
Andromeda Tonks
Christmas
School
Classes (Again)
Lily Potter
Luna's Birthday
Anniversary
VictoireWeasley
I wanna do that!
Fleur
A Series Of Birthdays
Wedding
Surprises
Year 2001-2002
Siblings
Healer Visit
It's A . . .
Christmas
.
Evil Snake
Eventful
March 18th 2002
Visiting Home
Meeting
F e e l i n g s
Goodbye Feast
Spaghetti Dinner
Summer
epilogue part 1
epilogue part 2
e x t r a

Seventh Year Last Part (omg)

1.1K 36 83
By huff_la_puff

After they'd eaten their lunch, Harry put his memory into the basin once again. "All right, put your fingers in again." And they were swept into his memory.

Harry had his Invisibility Cloak over himself as he was walking into the Forbidden Forest.

"You can't really be doing this." Hermione begged.

Harry shrugged. "Sorry Mione."

They watched as Harry pulled out the snitch and pressed it to his lips. "I am going to die," he whispered.

Andy looked at him worried, she had no idea what happened last night.

There was a small black stone inside the snitch with the Hallows symbol.

"Is that--" Neville asked.

Harry nodded. "It's the Resurrection Stone."

Harry closed his eyes and turned the stone in his hand three times. They gasped when Lily and James Potter, Sirius Black, and Remus Lupin stood as ghost like figures in front of them

"Oh my..." Hermione whispered.

James was the same height as Harry, he was wearing the clothes in which he'd died, his hair was messily ruffled, and his glasses were crooked.

"James..." Minerva murmured, grabbing Harry's hand, which he squeezed.

Sirius was tall and handsome, younger by far than any of the teens had seen him. He had an easy grace about him, his hands in his pockets, and any grin on his face.

"Oh, Siri." Andy cried sadly, letting Neville hold her shoulder supporting her.

Remus was younger too, and less shabby, his hair thicker and darker. He looked happy back in the Forest; no doubt home to many wanderings with his friends.

Luna brought Teddy closer. "Look, Teddy, that's your daddy."  He looked up at her seriously.

Harry thought babies knew more than adults thought. 

Lily's smile was the happiest and widest. She pushed her long, dark red hair back, drawing close to Harry, her green eyes, like his, searched him hungrily. Both Harry's absently reached for her hand, passing through nothing.

Harry sighed. "Mum." He said quieter than was possible to hear.

"You've been so brave." Lily spoke.

Memory Harry didn't reply. He just watched her longingly.

"You are nearly there," James told him. "Very close. We are. . . so proud of you."

"They are, I know it." Minerva told him, tears in her eyes.

Then Harry asked the childish question: "Does it hurt?"

"Dying? Not at all," Sirius told him gently. "Quicker and easier than falling asleep."

George walked over to Harry, leaning against a tree now, and hugged him, muttering, "That's what you told me. Thanks, thanks so much."

Harry smiled at him. "Not a problem."

"And he will want it to be quick. He wants it over," said Remus.

"I didn't want you to die," Harry said, the words coming fast. "Any of you. I'm sorry --" He was addressing Remus more than the rest. "--right after you'd had your son. . . Remus, I'm sorry --"

"I am sorry too," the werewolf replied gravely. "Sorry I will never know him . . . but he will know why I died and I hope he will understand. I was trying to make a world in which he could live a happier life."

Almost all of them were crying. "And he will, Remus. He will." Ron nodded firmly.

"You'll stay with me?"

"Until the very end," James promised.

"They won't be able to see you?" Harry asked.

"We are part of you," said Sirius, like in third year, "Invisible to anyone else."

Harry looked at his mother. "Stay close to me."

-------------- ------- ------- -------

Memory Harry set off, the others following.

Someone, likely a Death Eater, heard him. "Someone there," it said. "He's got an Invisibility Cloak. Could it be?"

Two people emerged from behind a tree. Yaxley and Dolohov.

"Definitely heard something,'' Yaxley said. "Animal, d'you reckon?"

"That head case Hagrid kept a whole bunch of stuff in here," Dolohov replied with a sneer.

"Hagrid's not a head case, you arse!" Ginny snarled. 

"Aww, thanks Ginny." Hagrid thanked the fiery redhead.

Yaxley looked at his watch. "Time's nearly up. Potter's had his hour. He's not coming."

"I wish." They all muttered.

And he was sure he'd come! He won't be happy."

"Better go back," said Yaxley. "Find out what the plan is now."

The Death Eaters turned into the Forest, and walked back, Harry and the others following.

-------------- ------- ------- -------

They finally reached the area they needed to be in. There was a fire in the middle of the clearing, there were several Death Eaters, some with masks, others without, two giants, Fenrir, and finally Voldemort.

"No sign of him, My Lord." Dolohov told the idiotic wizard.

"My Lord--" Bellatrix had attempted to speak, falling silent when her 'Lord' held up a hand. "I thought he would come," he spoke. "I expected him to come."

Nobody spoke, seemingly scared.

The memory watchers cringed while Memory Harry took off his cloak, putting it -- and his wand -- under his robes.

"I was, it seems, mistaken." Voldemort continued.

Memory Harry mustered all his strength, saying as loud as he could, "You weren't." He dropped the Resurrection Stone.

Voldemort remained frozen for two seconds.

"HARRY! NO!"

Memory Harry, and everyone else turned to see Hagrid.

"Oh, poor Hagrid." Minerva said sympathetically. "I'm sorry you had to watch that."

Hagrid nodded. "I' was hard. But 'm not mad at Harry, couldn't be."

Harry smiled at him.

"NO! NO! HARRY, WHAT'RE YEH --?"

"QUIET!" shouted Rowle, silencing him.

Voldemort lookedat Harry, tilting his head like a puppy begging for a treat.  "Harry Potter," he said very softly. "The Boy Who Lived."

Voldemort raised his wand. Harry watched his mouth form the deadly words -- literally -- and a flash of green light.

Everything was white.

Gone.

-------------- ------- ------- -------
Everyone was freaking out so much, the pensieve ejected them, making them land on the floor.

Harry shrugged, getting back in bed.

Luna climbed in with him, snuggling up. "That was hard to watch."

Harry grimaced. "Yeah, sorry. There's more to the memory, but the pensieve threw us out."

Molly was sobbing, along with several others, none of them had dry eyes.

"H-how did you come ba-back?" Ron asked, wiping his eyes subtly.

Harry answered. "I can show you. But, uh, just a warning, I'm naked."

Several people turned around, making Harry laugh. "Not now! I meant in the memory."

"Yeah, makes sense." Hermione admitted with a blush.

Harry continued. "So, don't look at me. Because I don't think I, uh,"

"Covered up?" George chuckled.

Harry scowled, then said, "Va te faire foutre!"

Europe chuckled. "Watch your language 'Arry!"

Harry rolled his eyes with a laugh. "You're the one who taught me!"

She opened her mouth then closed it.

Harry smirked. "Let's go in then."

They appeared in an empty area, and saw Memory Harry laying facedown, naked.

Harry groaned.  "Guys!" He exclaimed.

"Sorry Harry," Ron grimaced. "But you have to admit, you look a lot different from first year."

"What are you saying...?" Harry groaned.

"Well," Charlie grinned, "Let's just say, if I wasn't in love with dragons...Luna would have competition."

Harry looked at them all when they agreed, with a straight face, and said, "I hate you all."

Memory Harry looked himself over.

They heard a terrible noise.

Then, Harry was clothed.

Charlie frowned. "Aww."

Harry glared, but he was too embarrassed to get the look right.

Harry looked around, recoiling when he saw it -- with the form of a small child, curled up on the ground, it's skin was raw and rough, flayed-looking, it lay shuddering under a seat where it had been left.

"Ugh!" Neville shuddered.

Harry drew nearer to it, until he was close to touching it. They all jumped when they heard a voice, "You cannot help."

Harry spun around. Albus Dumbledore was walking toward him.

"Dumbledore?" Bill asked, surprised.

"Harry," he spread his arms wide, "You wonderful boy. You brave, brave man. Let us walk."

Stunned, they all followed, until Dumbledore lead them to two chairs they'd not noticed. Harry and Dumbledore sat. "But you're dead."

George snorted. "Nice observations Harry."

Harry laughed.

"Oh yes," Dumbledore said matter-of-factly.

"Then . . . I'm dead too?"

"Ah," Dumbledore said, smiling more broadly. "That is the question, isn't it? On the whole, dear boy, I think not."

Percy groaned. "Not to disrespect our old headmaster, but how on earth  can you deal with those half-answers!?"

Harry shrugged. "I used to get frustrated, but I just got used to it."

"Not?" Repeated Harry.

"Not," said Dumbledore.

"But . . . " They watched as Harry touched his forehead instinctively. It wasn't there. "But I should've died -- I didn't defend myself! I meant to let him kill me!"

They frowned. Why did he seem so worried?

"And that,'' said Dumbledore. "will, I think, have made all the difference."

"Explain." said Harry.

"Ooh, demanding. Say Luna," Charlie grinned.

Harry scowled. "Finish that sentence Charlie, I dare you."

"But you already know," said Dumbledore. He twiddled his fingers.

"I let him kill me," said Harry. "Didn't I?"

"You did," said Dumbledore, nodding. "Go on!"

"How come he doesn't just tell you?" Neville asked.

Harry smiled. "He likes to let me figure things out on my own. He'd help me work it out, but he wanted me to solve it."

"So the part of his soul that was in me . . ."

Dumbledore nodded even more enthusiastically.

". . . has it gone?"

"Oh yes!" said Dumbledore. "Yes, he destroyed it. Your soul is whole, and completely your own, Harry."

"But then . . ." He glanced over his shoulder to where the small, maimed creature trembled under the chair.

"What is that, Professor?"

"Ohh my god. You are dead, yet you're worried about some hideous creature!" Hermione teased.

Harry stuck his tongue out, like a mature adult.

"Something that is beyond either of our help," said Dumbledore.

"But if Voldemort used the Killing Curse," Harry started again. "and nobody died for me this time -- how can I be alive?"

"Because you're Harry Fricking Potter." George said mock-seriously.

Harry rolled his eyes.

"I think you know," said Dumbledore. Think back. Remember what he did, in his ignorance, in his greed, and his cruelty."

"He took my blood."

"The fact you say that easily, is so terrible." Andy sighed, shaking her head.

"Precisely!" Said Dumbledore. "He took your blood and rebuilt his living body with it! Your blood is in his veins, Harry, Lily's protection inside both of you! He tethered you to life while he lives!"

"Wait." Hermione said, making a jab with her wand and saying, "Intermissione Memoriam [In-tur-miss-ee-Oh-nay Meh-mo-ree-um]"

Ron looked at her. "What'd you do?"

"Stopped the time in here. I don't want to miss anything. Anyway. Did you understand it how I did, because if I'm right, you might never die! You'll be immortal."

"What?" I think I'm still mortal, Mione." Harry told her.

"Harry, just listen, closely. I'm rewinding it. Memoria Rewind [Meh-moh-Ri-uh A-ree-wee-end]. She swished her wand.

-------------- ------- ------- -------

'He tethered you to life while he lives!'

"Don't you get it? He tethered you to life!"

"Yeah, but it also says, while he lives."

"I'm researching it later."

Ron grinned. "When in doubt, go to the library."

-------------- ------- -------

They listened until they found out Harry was the seventh horcrux, they listened as Dumbledore explained about his sister, the Hallows everything.

"I've got to go back, haven't I?" Harry asked.

"You . . . didn't want to." Hermione said. It wasn't a question.

Harry shook his head. "At first. But then I thought about you guys. I wanted, wanted to see my parents, Sirius, everyone. But I have a family with you guys, I wouldn't leave it if I didn't have to."

"Thanks Mate." Ron sniffled.

"That is up to you."

"I've got a choice?"

"Oh yes." Dumbledore smiled at him. "We are in King's Cross, you say? I think that if you decided not to go back, you would be able to. . .let's say . . .board a train."

"And where would it take me?"

"On," said Dumbledore simply.

Silence.

Voldemort's got the Elder Wand."

"True. Voldemort has got the Elder Wand."

"But you want me to go back?"

"I think," said Dumbledore. "that I'd you choose to return, there is a chance that he may be finished for good. I cannot promise it. But I know this, Harry, that you have less to fear from returning here than he does."

Harry glanced again at the raw-looking thing that trembled and choked in the shadow beneath the distant chair.

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the the living, and above all, those who live without love. By returning, you may ensure that fewer souls are maimed, fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say good-bye for the present.

"That's really good advice, and a nice goal." Ginny piped up, tired of the silence.

Harry nodded and sighed.

They looked at each other when Harry spoke. "Tell me one last thing. Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

"Oh, Albus, I miss you." Minerva said.

-------------- ------- ------- -------

The scene shifted.

They saw Harry lying face down on the ground again, thankfully clothed.

Otherwise it would've been a little awkward.

His left arm was bent at an awkward angle, his mouth gaping.

"Ouch."

"My Lord . . . my Lord . . ." Was Bellatrix's voice, no cheers or laughs.

"My Lord . . ."

"That will do,'' said Voldemort's voice.

People started backing away. Voldemort was getting to his feet.

"My Lord, let me--"

"I do not require assistance," Voldemort told there coldly. "The boy . . . Is he dead?"

Nobody moved.

"Ylu," Voldemort commanded, hitting Narcissa Malfoy with a BANG sound. "Examine him. Tell me whether he is dead."

"Ohhh, she'll know." Molly sighed.

Narcissa checked him, then breathed, 'Is Draco alive? Is he in the castle?' Harry carefully breathed an affirmative answer.

"He is dead!" She called to them.

They all cheered, stamped joyfully, and celebrated.

"You see?" Voldemort screeched. "Harry Potter is dead by my hand, and no man alive can threaten me now! Watch!

"No!" Yelled Hermione, quickly casting, "Intermissione Memoriam!" She looked like she'd cry. "They tortured you, didn't they?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah, if you don't wanna watch--"

"No, it's fine. But do you...?"

"It's okay. Thanks anyway."

Crucio!"

They all flinched, and watched as he let his body be flailed around.

"How didn't you scream?" Arthur asked.

"I don't know, I guess because I couldn't get caught." Harry shrugged.

"Now," Voldemort commanded. "we go to the castle, and show them what has become of their hero. Who shall drag the body? No -- wait --"

Hagrid started crying when he was forced to pick Harry up.

"I'm really sorry you had to, do that, Hagrid." Harry apologized.

Hagrid waved his hand in forgiveness.

Hagrid carried Harry out of the Forest, where hell was let loose.

Voldemort amplified his voice. "Harry Potter is dead. He was killed as he ran away, trying to save himself while you lay your lives down for him. We bring you his body as proof that your hero is gone.

The battle is won. You have lost half your fighters. My Death Eaters out number you, and the Boy Who Lived is finished. There must be no more war. Anybody who continues to resist, man, woman, or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family. Come out of the castle now, kneel before me, and you shall be spared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live and be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shall build together."

"Ugh. Zhe evil znakez voice eez zo terrible!" Fleur shook her head, as if to rid it of the sound. Then she started muttering in French.

There was silence from all around.

Voldemort forced Hagrid to walk forward, sobbing, "Oh, Harry . . .Harry . . ."

"Stop." came Voldemort's command.

"NO!" Came the terrible scream from Minerva, making Harry wince, about to apologize, but Minerva wouldn't let him.

Harry honestly didn't think she could make a sound that terrible.

"No!"

"No!"

"Harry! HARRY!"

Ron's, Hermione's, and Ginny's voices were worse."SILENCE!' Cried Voldemort, silencing them with a BANG. "It's over! Set him down, Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs!"

Harry was set on the ground.

"You see?" jeered Voldemort. "Harry Potter is dead! Do you understand now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever, but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!"

They all denied this adamantly.

"He beat you!" yelled Ron, and the charm broke, until Voldemort cast a more powerful one.

"He was killed while trying to sneak out of the castle grounds," said Voldemort, relishing in the lie. "killed while trying to save himself--"

He broke off: there was a scuffle and shout, another bang, and light, then grunt of pain. Neville had charged at Voldemort. Voldemort made an example of Neville.

Then many things happened at once--

Hundreds of people came over the castle walls, uttering loud war cries,

Grawp, who came running around the side of the castle, yelled, "HAGGER!" Voldemort's giants an Grawp fought.

Centaurs attacked Death Eaters,

Harry pulled the Invisibility Cloak out, covered himself, and sprang to his feet, as Neville also moved too, pulling out Gryffindor's Sword from the Hat. Every eye was drawn to Neville, and he slashed Nagini's head off.

Harry, under the Cloak, cast a shield charm between Neville and Voldemort, before the latter could raise his wand.

Hagrid's yell cam loudest of all, however: "HARRY! HARRY -- WHERE'S HARRY?"

Eventually, Harry got to the Great Hall.

Harry spotted Voldemort, and cast shield charms over and over, to protect them from Voldemort's hissy fit.

Charlie was taking on Horace Slughorn, then the house elves swarmed the hall, screaming and waving knives and cleavers, and at the head, the locket of Regulus Black bouncing on his chest, was Kreacher, yelling, "Fight! Fight! Fight for my Master, defender of the house elves! Fight the Dark Lord, in the name of brave Regulus! Fight!"

"I am really loving that elf." Ron laughed.

Harry laughed too. "He is a lot better now."

The elves were hacking and stabbing at the shins and ankles -- where they could reach-- of Death Eaters, their tiny, scrunched up faces alit with malice, everywhere Death Eaters were folding and attempting to escape, very few succeeding.

Harry sped past duelers, struggling prisoners, and into the Great Hall.

Voldemort was in the center, Harry fought his way over, still invisible.

Yaxley was slammed to the floor by George and Lee Jordan, Dolohov fell with a scream at Flitwick's hands, MacNair was thrown across the room by Hagrid, Ron and Neville took down Greyback, Aberforth stunned Rookwood, Arthur and Percy floored Thicknesse, and finally Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy running through it all, without wands, searching for Draco.

Voldemort was now screaming dueling McGonagall, Slughorn, and Kingsley all at once, there was cold hatred in his face as they dodged his spells.

Bellatrix was still fightning too, fifty yards away, she was dueling Hermione, Ginny, and Luna. A Killing Curse was so close to Ginny, he changed course, running after the insane woman, but Molly beat him there.

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

"Mum!" George laughed, silenced at the lookhis mother gave.

She threw her cloak off, Bellatrix laughing crazily as she ran.

"OUT OF MY WAY!"

Molly killed Bellatrix, dying like her cousin, with a laugh.

Voldemort, furious at Bellatrix's death, raised his wand at Molly. This is when Harry acted. He roared, "Protego!" letting the Shield Charm expand ni the middle of the Hall, pulling off the Cloak.

Shouts of shock, cheers, and screams of, "Harry!" or "HE'S ALIVE!" were quickly stifled. They were scared, as Voldemort and Harry began circling each other.

"I don't want anyone else to try to help," Harry said loudly, "It's got to be like this, it's got to be me."

Voldemort hissed. "Potter doesn't mean that. That isn't how he works, is it? Who are you going to use as a shield today, Potter?"

"Nobody," said Harry simply. "There are no more Horcruxes. It's just you and me. Neither can live while the other survives, and one of us is about to leave for good . . ."

"One of us?" jeered Voldemort. "You think it will be you, do you, the boy who has survived by accident, and because Dumbledore was puling the strings?"

"Accident, was it, when my mother died to save me?" asked Harry, they were still circling each other. "Accident, when I decided to fight in that graveyard? Accident that I didn't defend myself tonight, and still survived, and returned to fight again?"

"Accidents!" screamed Voldemort, but he did not strike. "Accident and chance and the fact that you crouched and sniveled behind the skirts of greater men and women, and permitted me to kill them for you!"

"You won't be killing anyone else tonight," said Harry as they circled, staring into each other's eyes. Green to Red. "You won't be able to kill any of them ever again. Don't you get it? I was ready to die to stop you from hurting these people--"

'But you did not!"

"I meant to, and that's what it did. I've done what my mother did. They're protected from you. Haven't you noticed how none of the spells you put on them are binding? You can't torture them. You can't touch them. You don't learn from your mistakes, Riddle, do you?"

"You dare--"

"Yes, I dare," said Harry. "I know things you don't know, Tom Riddle. I know lots of important things that you dont. Want to hear some, before you make another big mistake?

Voldemort did not speak, but prowled in a circle, and Harry knew that he kept him temporarily mesmerized and at bay, held back by the faintest possibility that Harry might indeed know a final secret....

Is it love again? said Voldemort, his snakes face jeering. Dumbledores favorite solution, love, which he claimed conquered death, though love did not stop him falling from the tower and breaking like an old waxwork? Love, which did not prevent me stamping out your Mudblood mother like a cockroach, Potter—and nobody seems to love you enough to run forward this time and take my curse. So what will stop you from dying now when I strike?

Just one thing, said Harry, and still they circled each other, wrapped in each other, held apart by nothing but the last secret.

If it is not love that will save you this time, said Voldemort, you must believe that you have magic that I do not, or else a weapon more powerful than mine?

I believe both, said Harry, and he saw shock flit across the snakelike face, though it was instantly dispelled; Voldemort began to laugh, and the sound was more frightening than his screams; humorless and insane, it echoed around the silent Hall. You think you know more magic than I do? he said. Than I, than Lord Voldemort, who has performed magic that Dumbledore himself never dreamed of?

Oh, he dreamed of it, said Harry, but he knew more than you, knew enough not to do what youve done.

You mean he was weak! screamed Voldemort. Too weak to dare, too weak to take what might have been his, what will be mine!

No, he was cleverer than you, said Harry, a better wizard, a better man.

I brought about the death of Albus Dumbledore!

You thought you did, said Harry, but you were wrong.

For the first time, the watching crowd stirred as the hundreds of people around the walls drew breath as one.

Dumbledore is dead! Voldemort hurled the words at Harry as though they would cause him unendurable pain. His body decays in the marble tomb in the grounds of this castle. I have seen it, Potter, and he will not return!

Yes, Dumbledores dead, said Harry calmly,(A/N Am I the only one who laughed? Yeah, okay, I'll go now} but you didnt have him killed. He chose his own manner of dying, chose it months before he died, arranged the whole thing with the man you thought was your servant.

What childish dream is this? said Voldemort, but still he did not strike, and his red eyes did not waver from Harrys.

Severus Snape wasnt yours, said Harry. Snape was Dumbledores from the moment you started hunting down my mother. And you never realized it, because of the thing you cant understand. You never saw Snape cast a Patronus, did you, Riddle?

Voldemort did not answer. They continued to circle each other, like wolves about to tear each other apart.

Snapes Patronus was a doe, said Harry, the same as my mothers, because he loved her for nearly all of his life, from the time when they were children. You should have realized, he said as he saw Voldemorts nostrils flare, he asked you to spare her life, didnt he?

He desired her, that was all, sneered Voldemort, but when she had gone, he agreed that there were other women, and of purer blood, worthier of him—

Of course he told you that, said Harry, but he was Dumbledores spy from the moment you threatened her, and hes been working against you ever since! Dumbledore was already dying when Snape finished him!

It matters not! shrieked Voldemort, who had followed every word with rapt attention, but now let out a cackle of mad laughter. It matters not whether Snape was mine or Dumbledores, or what petty obstacles they tried to put in my path! I crushed them as I crushed your mother, Snapes supposed great love! Oh, but it all makes sense, Potter, and in ways that you do not understand!

Dumbledore was trying to keep the Elder Wand from me! He intended that Snape should be the true master of the wand! But I got there ahead of you, little boy—I reached the wand before you could get your hands on it, I understood the truth before you caught up, I killed Severus Snape three hours ago, and the Elder Wand, the Deathstick, the Wand of Destiny is truly mine! Dumbledores last plan went wrong, Harry Potter!

Yeah, it did, said Harry. Youre right. But before you try to kill me, Id advise you to think about what youve done.... Think, and try for some remorse, Riddle....

Hermione, Andy, and Bill all let out laughs. "Okay, I'll admit" Bill chuckled. "that was pretty funny."

Harry did a mock bow.

What is this?

Of all the things that Harry had said to him, beyond any revelation or taunt, nothing had shocked Voldemort like this. Harry saw his pupils contact to thin slits, saw the skin around his eyes whiten.

Its your one last chance, said Harry, its all youve got left.... Ive seen what youll be otherwise.... Be a man ...try ...Try for some remorse....

You dare—? said Voldemort again.

Yes, I dare, said Harry, because Dumbledores last plan hasnt backfired on me at all. Its backfired on you, Riddle.

Voldemorts hand was trembling on the Elder Wand, and Harry gripped Dracos very tightly. The moment, he knew, was seconds away. That wand still isnt working properly for you because you murdered the wrong person. Severus Snape was never the true master of the Elder Wand. He never defeated Dumbledore.

He killed—

Arent you listening? Snape never beat Dumbledore! Dumbledores death was planned between them! Dumbledore intended to die undefeated, the wands last true master! If all had gone as planned, the wands power would have died with him, because it had never been won from him!

But then, Potter, Dumbledore as good as gave me the wand! Voldemorts voice shook with malicious pleasure. I stole the wand from its last masters tomb! I removed it against its last masters wishes! Its power is mine!

You still dont get it, Riddle, do you? Possessing the wand isnt enough! Holding it, using it, doesnt make it really yours. Didnt you listen to Ollivander? The wand chooses the wizard.... The Elder Wand recognized a new master before Dumbledore died, someone who never even laid a hand on it. The new master removed the wand from Dumbledore against his will, never realizing exactly what he had done, or that the worlds most dangerous wand had given him its allegiance...."

Voldemorts chest rose and fell rapidly, and Harry could feel the curse coming, feel it building inside the wand pointed at his face. The true master of the Elder Wand was Draco Malfoy.

Blank shock showed in Voldemorts face for a moment, but then it was gone.

But what does it matter? he said softly. Even if you are right, Potter, it makes no difference to you and me. You no longer have the phoenix wand: We duel on skill alone ...and after I have killed you, I can attend to Draco Malfoy....

But youre too late, said Harry. Youve missed your chance. I got there first. I overpowered Draco weeks ago. I took this wand from him. Harry twitched the hawthorn wand, and he felt the eyes of everyone in the Hall upon it. So it all comes down to this, doesnt it? whispered Harry. Does the wand in your hand know its last master was Disarmed? Because if it does ...I am the true master of the Elder Wand.

A red-gold glow burst suddenly across the enchanted sky above them as an edge of dazzling sun appeared over the sill of the nearest window. The light hit both of their faces at the same time, so that Voldemorts was suddenly a flaming blur. Harry heard the high voice shriek as he too yelled his best hope to the heavens, pointing Dracos wand:

Avada Kedavra!

Expelliarmus!

The bang was like a cannon blast, and the golden flames that erupted between them, at the dead center of the circle they had been treading, marked the point where the spells collided.

Harry saw Voldemorts green jet meet his own spell, saw the Elder Wand fly high, dark against the sunrise, spinning across the enchanted ceiling like the head of Nagini, spinning through the air toward the master it would not kill, who had come to take full possession of it at last.

And Harry, with the unerring skill of a Seeker, caught the wand in his free hand as Voldemort fell backward, arms splayed, the slit pupils of the scarlet eyes rolling upward. Tom Riddle hit the floor with a mundane finality, his body feeble and shrunken, the white hands empty, the snakelike face vacant and unknowing. Voldemort was dead, killed by his own rebounding curse, and Harry stood with two wands in his hands, staring down at his enemys shell.

One shivering second of silence, the shock of the moment suspend: and then the tumult broke around Harry as the screams and the cheers and the roars of the watchers rent the air.

The fierce new sun dazzled the windows as they thundered toward him, and the first to reach him were Ron and Hermione, and it was their arms that were wrapped around him, their incomprehensible shouts that deafened him. Then Ginny, Neville, and Luna were there, and then all the Weasleys and Hagrid, and Kingsley and McGonagall and Flitwick and Spout, and Harry could not hear a word that anyone was shouting, nor tell whose hands were seizing him, pulling him, trying to hug some part of him, hundreds of them pressing in, all of them determined to touch the Boy Who Lived, the reason it was over at last—

The sun rose steadily over Hogwarts, and the Great Hall blazed with life and light. Harry was an indispensable part of the mingled outpourings of jubilation and mourning, of grief and celebration. They wanted him there with them, their leader and symbol, their savior and their guide, and that he had not slept, that he craved the company of only a few of them, seemed to occur to on one. He must speak to the bereaved, clap their hands, witness their tears, receive their thanks, hear the new now creeping in from every quarter as the morning drew on; that the Imperiused up and down the country had come back to themselves, that Death Eaters were fleeing or else being captured, that the innocent of Azkaban were being released at that very moment, and that Kingsley Shacklebolt had been named temporary Minister of Magic....

They moved Voldemorts body and laid it in a chamber off the Hall, away from the bodies of Fred, Tonks, Lupin, Colin Creevey, and fifty others who had died fighting him.

McGonagall had replaced the House tables, but nobody was sitting according to House anymore: All were jumbled together, teachers and pupils, ghosts and parents, centaurs and house-elves, and Firenze lay recovering in a corner, and Grawp peered in through a smashed window, and people were throwing food into his laughing mouth.

After a while, exhausted and drained, Harry found himself sitting on a bench beside Luna. Id want some peace and quite, if it were me, she said.

Id love some, he replied

. Ill distract them all, she said. Use your Cloak.

And before he could say a word she cried, Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger! and pointed out of the window. Everyone who heard looked around, and Harry slid the Cloak up over himself, and got to his feet. Now he could move through the Hall without interference.

He spotted Ginny two tables away; she was sitting with her head on her mothers shoulder: There would be time to talk later, hours and days and maybe years in which to talk.

He saw Neville, the sword of Gryffindor lying beside his plate as he ate, surrounded by a knot of fervent admirers.

Along the aisle between the tables he walked, and he spotted the three Malfoys, huddled together as though unsure whether or not they were supposed to be there, but nobody was paying them any attention.

Everywhere he looked he saw families reunited, and finally, he saw the two whose company he craved most.

Its me, he muttered, crouching down between them. Will you come with me?

They stood up at once, and together he, Ron, and Hermione left the Great Hall.

Great chunks were missing from the marble staircase, part of the balustrade was gone, and rubble and blood stains occurred every few steps as they climbed. Somewhere in the distance they could hear Peeves zooming through the corridors singing a victory song of his own composition:

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potters the one, And Voldys gone moldy, so now lets have fun!

Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesnt it? said Ron, pushing open a door to let Harry and Hermione through.

Happiness would come, Harry thought, but at the moment it was muffled by exhaustion, and the pain of losing Fred and Lupin and Tonks pierced him like a physical wound every few steps. Most of all he felt the most stupendous relief, and a longing to sleep. But first he owed an explanation to Ron and Hermione, who had stuck with him for so long, and who deserved the truth.

Painstakingly he recounted what he had seen in the Pensieve and what had happened in the forest, and they had not even begun to express all their shock and amazement when at last they arrived at the place to which they had been walking, though none of them had mentioned their destination.

Since he had last seen it, the gargoyle guarding the entrance to the headmasters study had been knocked aside; it stood lopsided, looking a little punch drunk, and Harry wondered whether it would be able to distinguish passwords anymore.

Can we go up? he asked the gargoyle. Feel free. groaned the statue.

They clambered over him and onto the spiral stone staircase that moved slowly upward like an escalator. Harry pushed open the door at the top. He had one, brief glimpse of the stone Pensieve on the desk where he had left it, and then an earsplitting noise made him cry out, thinking of curses and returning Death Eaters and the rebirth of Voldemort—

But it was applause. All around the walls, the headmasters and head mistresses of Hogwarts were giving him a standing ovation; they waved their hats and in some cases their wigs, they reached through their frames to grip each others hands; they danced up and down on the chairs in which they had been painted; Dilys Derwent sobbed unashamedly; Dexter Fortescue was waving his ear-trumpet; and Phineas Nigellus called, in his high, reedy voice, And let it be noted that Slytherin House played its part! Let our contribution not be forgotten!

But Harry had eyes only for the man who stood in the largest portrait directly behind the headmasters chair. Tears were sliding down from behind the half-moon spectacles into the long silver beard, and the pride and the gratitude emanating from him filled Harry with the same balm as phoenix song.

At last, Harry held up his hands, and the portraits fell respectfully silent, beaming and mopping their eyes and waiting eagerly for him to speak. He directed his words at Dumbledore, however, and chose them with enormous care. Exhausted and bleary-eyed though he was, he must make one last effort, seeking one last piece of advice.

The thing that was hidden in the Snitch, he began, I dropped it in the forest. I dont know exactly where, but Im not going to go looking for it again. Do you agree?

My dear boy, I do, said Dumbledore, while his fellow pictures looked confused and curious. A wise and courageous decision, but no less than I would have expected of you. Does anyone else know where it fell?

No one, said Harry, and Dumbledore nodded his satisfaction. Im going to keep Ignotuss present, though, said Harry, and Dumbledore beamed.

But of course, Harry, it is yours forever, until you pass it on!

And then theres this. Harry held up the Elder Wand, and Ron and Hermione looked at it with a reverence that, even in his befuddled and sleep-deprived state, Harry did not like to see.

I dont want it. said Harry.

What? said Ron Loudly. Are you mental?

I know its powerful, said Harry wearily. But I was happier with mine. So...

He rummaged in the pouch hung around his neck, and pulled out the two halves of holly still just connected by the finest thread of phoenix feather. Hermione had said that they could not be repaired, that the damage was too severe. All he knew was that if this did not work, nothing would. He laid the broken wand upon the headmasters desk, touched it with the very tip of the Elder Wand, and said Reparo.

As his wand resealed, red sparks flew out of its end. Harry knew that he had succeeded. He picked up the holly and phoenix wand and felt a sudden warmth in his fingers, as though wand and hand were rejoicing at their reunion.

Im putting the Elder Wand, he told Dumbledore, who was watching him with enormous affection and admiration, backwhereitcamefrom. It can stay there. If I die a natural death like Ignotus, its power will be broken, wont it? The previous master will never have been defeated. Thatll be the end of it. Dumbledore nodded.

They smiled at each other. Are you sure? said Ron.

There was the faintest trace of longing in his voice as he looked at the Elder Wand.

I think Harrys right, said Hermione quietly.

That wands more trouble than its worth, said Harry. And quite honestly, he turned away from the painted portraits, thinking now only of the four poster bead lying waiting for him in Gryffindor Tower and wondering whether Kreacher might bring him a sandwich there, Ive had enough trouble for a lifetime.

Everyone laughed as they left the pensieve.

Once they were sitting, Ginny asked, "What're we gonna do now?"

"Well," said Andy, "Harry is going to let me check him over, and if I am happy, he can go. Now, everyone out. I'm sure Harry doesn't want you all seeing him half naked. Shoo!"

They chuckled as they left.

"Love you Harry," Hermione and Ron called as they left.

"Love you guys!" Harry called back, then leaning into Luna's kiss, blushing when Andy cleared her throat. "He'll be ten minutes, Luna."

"Okay, thanks Andy!"

"Alright, let's look at your chest." Andy decided.

-------------------------------------------------------------

"--and be careful, Harry!"

"I will, Andy! Thanks again!" Harry called, Apparating away with Luna.

_________________________________________________________

OH MY GOD! I actally finished all the memories! I'M CRYING, I GOT S ATTACHED TO THIS BOOK! Any way, I hope liked it, and I'll update soon. Let me know what you wanna see! Bye!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.7K 140 16
Ever wanted facts, one shots and headcannons on your favourite next generation Harry Potter? What they do? They're Hobbie? They're fears? They're bes...
251K 6.7K 57
Summary: Isadora Talia Potter never thought she would ever be loved. She was just the freak of number four with a weird freaky mark on the inside of...
229K 1.2K 30
Slytherin boys one shots Spicy, romance
114 1 19
Ronald Weasley has two best friends at his school, Hogwarts of Witch Craft and Wizardry, and is now in the 3rd year at school. He goes back to Hogwar...