Pregnant in the 75th

By little-duck

What if Katniss really was pregnant going up to the quarter quell? Just my take in what could have happened... More

1. Life in twelve
2. I almost thought it was real
3. Train ride antics
4. Consequences
5. Distress in the districts
6. Blunt words
7. Nightmares
8. Fixed
9. Together for the first time
10. A real shower this time
11. Good old sisterly catch up
12. Are you ready for this?
13. Presidential Palace
14. Drinking partner
15. Positive
16. Messing around
17. Existing pool of victors
Authors note please read :)
18. He lives, not me
19. Ask me to die
20. Take the hints
21. Understanding
22. In our own right
23. Not so secret
24. Our toasting
25. Childish events
26. Reassurance
27. Tribute
28. Disclosing information
29. Fighting
Note from moi...
31. Tributes Ready?
32. Always
33. Training
Authors note ... Again
34. Fiesty actions
35. Decisions
36. Interviews
37. An unexpected visitor
38. Problems
39. Tokens
40.

30. Check up

4.2K 168 37
By little-duck

Katniss's POV

I start to stir as I begin to feel a dull ache from the back of my head. What have I done to my head? I look down to see I'm fully clothes in leggings and a big baggy top, well at least I'm cloths and not with one of those horrible hospital gowns. My immediate thoughts go to my little one and to feel her kick, just the reassurance that she is ok. What if something happened to her? What if I lose her because of the fall? What if ... What if?

"You ok there sweetheart?" Haymitch says interrupting my internal battle and calming me just at the thought of what his reaction might be to my little secret. Groaning I try to sit myself up although a little too fast.

"Whoah there sweetheart not too fast," I hear from beside me as someone grabs my hand. I lay back down again a second allowing my eyes to adjust to the brightness of the room, although not moving a hand from my stomach, just letting it rest there.

"Why am I in a hospital Haymitch ?" I ask rolling to the side slightly rater than attempting to sit up again.

Haymitch is sat on a chair at the side of my bed, which he turns to face me, "We had to take a little detour.."

"I figured that seeing as I'm attached to a drip in a hospital Haymitch... What happened?"

"Well what do you remember? That will be a start," he says forcing a slight smile.

"I remember Octavia leaving me to have a bath, I put on the hair mask that Flavius asked me too then.... Ohhhh."

"Ohhhh what? What is ohhh?"

"I slipped getting into the bath, I cracked my head on the edge of the bath as I fell." I pause a moment and he doesn't say anything so I carry on,"I take it I managed to knock myself out then?"

"Yes. Yes you did. You've been here overnight , Peeta stayed and watched you,waiting for you to wake but in the end I sent him off to have a rest himself as it the tribute parade in a few hours..."

"Great. I take it I haven't got out of doing that then ?" I say rolling my eyes causing Haymitch to chuckle.

"I'm afraid not sweetheart, he'd still make you do it even on your death bed," he says and I can't help but laugh.

"No shock there then..." I grumble.

"Is there anything you need to tell me? Anything at all?"

I try to keep myself calm and not let anything on so shake my head, "No, nothing at all."

"You're sure everything is alright? Nothing bothering you?"

"We'll other than the fact I'm being thrown into an arena full of trained killers," I say rather abruptly that even Haymitch looks taken back,"Sorry."

"It's ok sweetheart, I understand, although many wouldn't."

"So what happened then? I mean after I was knocked out, there must be a reason I'm here in a hospital?" I ask.

"Well we heard a loud bang, which must have been when you fell. Peeta and I came running to you realising something must have happened. We found you in the barroom thanks to Effie and but you being you of course managed to knock yourself out after locking the door so we couldn't get in..."

"Oops..."

"Yeah oops," he laughs slightly,"well thanks to Effie, again, we managed to get into the room. Peeta tried to lift you out of the bath but you just kept sliding down with the sheer amount of water in the bath so I jumped in to left you out." Wait if he helped me out then surely he must have noticed my bump. There's no way he could not surely? He hasn't said anything so maybe he didn't ... Or he's just waiting for me to say something. Oh stop overthinking Katniss!

"Oh Poor Haymitch, did you have to have your yearly bath a bit early this year," I tease causing him to laugh.

"And trust you to be the one behind it sweetheart..." He says with stern look but he can't hold it for long her bursts out in laughter and as do I. When we eventually stop laugh Haymitch speaks again, "I better go and get Peeta. He'll be beside himself if he finds out I didn't go and get him the second you woke.

"Ha ha, well I'm glad we had a chance to Haymitch. I miss our little talks sometimes..."

Haymitch chuckles as he leaves the room, "as do I sweetheart... As do I."

I lie my head on the pillow and rest my hands across my stomach, " What are we going to do little one..." I get a little kick in response. At least I know they're ok.

"Is everything ok Miss Everdeen?" A nurse asks as he walks in. "My name is Angelica and I'm your nurse."

"You have a Capitol twang to your accent is that where you're from? As you don't exactly look like it..."I ask as she walks in and shuts the door.

"Yes actually. I'm as normal as they come, especially compared to some of the people I work with. Anyway after the hospital knew you were coming they called the Capitol hospital and asked for someone to come down and well here I am. I think they were just worried incase anything happened to you, with you being a tribute and all ..."

"Yeah don't remind me..." I interrupt.

"Sorry .... It's just not exactly how I planned to spend, well, the rest of my life."

"I understand ... Do you want a check up?" She says nodding at me but I dot quite understand her at first , " an ultrasound," she says in a hushed voice, "I'm not sure if we're hiding or showing so it's totally up to you," she says with a smile and I can't help but smile too.

"Hiding for the moment, but that would be great."

"So who knows? Just so I don't step my foot in it.." Angelica says sitting down on the bed beside me.

"Who's with me... Just Peeta," I answer and she nods slowly.

"Ok, well Haymitch said he was fetching him so if you like I can take you and do it when he gets here?"

"You will do it? Don't you need to be trained in that sort of stuff?"

"Oh sweetie I'm a Capitol nurse ... There's not much I'm not trained in," she says with a smile.

Behind her the door opens and there stands Peeta. He stands there do a moment so I usher him in,"hey."

"Well then Miss Everdeen it's time for your scan if you're ready?" She asks but I think it's more directed to Peeta.

"More than ready."

"Her what? What's happened? Is everything ok? Are you both alright?" Peeta panics rushing over to my bed sideburns I take his hand and give it a squeeze to relax him.

"Hey it's all ok. We're both fine, she still likes a good wriggle don't you worry about that one. Are you ready to see her?"

"Her? Do you already know Katniss?" Angelica interrupts.

"No it's just a feeling..."

"Well in that case if little one is co-operative I can let you know for certain if you like?" Peeta's face lights up at the thought, I know how much he wants to know and I can't help but smile at his reaction.

"Perfect."

"Great. Then I'll just go grab you a wheelchair and we'll be off then."

"Well I guess that's me. Peeta will you come with me?" I ask holding out my hand to him.

"Of course, no need to ask." He takes my hand helping me to sit up and then to step down from the bed and we walk towards the door to follow Angelica.

She is just coming back towards my room with the wheelchair which I throw myself down onto when she reaches us,"Katniss watch what you're doing!" She exclaims and I turn towards her and shrug my shoulders,"Oops?"

"is she always this reckless?" Angelica say turning to Peeta causing him to chuckle.

"This is her on a good day !"

"Alright you two calm it down, I am here you know?!" I say and the both just laugh even more. "Peeta can push me there Angelica, just don't trust him with directions he's useless."

She let's out a small giggle before replying, "Of course."

Its quite a walk down for the ultrasound, and it doesn't help that I am being pushed so it probably feels ten times longer, but we finally get there and Angelica points us to a door at the end of the corridor which is blissfully quiet.

I role my eyes and slap him across the shoulder, "Don't push it mister." I stick my tongue out at him.

"What was that for?" He says rubbing his shoulder.

"Don't you think that just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean I won't give you a good slap when you're being mean."

He laughs at me thinking I'm kidding but I'm not, he'll sharp find that out if he tests me.

"Well I guess nows the time to find out," Angelica says holding out her hand to help me up.

I lay down on the bed and roll up my top slightly to uncover my bump, "ok Katniss I'm just going to roll this up a little more and roll the waist of your leggings down slightly so I can get a full view of your bump. " Angelica says and I just nod in reply. "This is going to be quite cold," she says as she squeezes on the cold blue gel and runs it across my stomach. I haven't released Peetas hand from mine since we came into the room. I need him here with me right now and I need his embrace even more.

Angelica stares at the screen for a few minutes checking the vitals before she finally turns to speak to us,"This is probably a strange way to think of it but at the moment your baby is about the size of a banana." She's right it is a strange thing to compare it too and I can't help bit laugh a little but continues anyway, "ok thats you all done Katniss. Baby is perfectly fine but you will need to make an appointment to see a midwife in about four weeks just to make sure...." She stops what she is saying after she realises as whispers under her breath,"the quell..."

"Then you see the predicament I'm in..." Is all I can say in response.

"I think you have to say some..." She goes in to say but I hold my hand up to stop her.

"I know what I have to do," I say and she looks at me confused but leaves it at that.

I turn to Peeta and he hasn't stopped smiling since he's found out everythings OK with the baby. I think he shut off once she said everything was ok.

"So are you ready to know what the little one is?" She asks changing the subject and Peeta seems to react to that by nodding and squeezing my hand.

"It's a .... Girl. You were right Katniss."

"Well of course," I say with a laugh.

"Peeta take good care of her although I'm sure you will and I hope everything goes well for you both." Angelica looks at me still slightly worried as she at that but I have ideas, she doesn't know my plan with Haymitch. "Well you're all set to get back on the road in my eyes Katniss, good luck with the tribute parade tonight guys. I'm sure you'll be amazing." And with that se stands up and walks out of the room leaving Peeta to wipe the gel off my stomach, he does so with such care and gentle hands its quite sweet. "You know you aren't going to hurt either of us be wiping it up properly you know sweetie?"

He let's out a big sigh. "I know I was just thinking."

"Well that's dangerous."

***

Please let me know what you guys think by commenting and voting I'd love to hear your thoughts.

-Alannah xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 25K 45
What if Katniss Everdeen fell in love with Peeta Mellark after their first games? What if before the quarter quell, she found herself pregnant with P...
36.1K 354 30
DISCLAIMER: OBVIOUSLY I DON'T FUCKING OWN THIS, SUZANNE COLLINS DOES, BUT THIS IS FANFICTION, ASSHOLES. THERE IS NO NEED TO REPORT IT OR YOU BETTER R...
169K 2.8K 32
My heart beat heavily against my chest as I stared down at the test. Tests can be false, right? Especially unofficial ones bought in District Twelve...
30.2K 120 25
It's been 3 years after the war, Peeta and Katniss are dating. Peeta wants kids but Katniss doesn't. Will Katniss cave and give Peeta his dream that...