Fields of Gold; Daniel Riccia...

By Lieke4043

Skylar is a F1 fan and her favorite driver is Daniel Ricciardo. After a traumatic experience she gets an ama... More

The beginning.
Is he perfect?
No more.
Surprise!
It's Friday then!
Papaya team
Good food and good company.
On our way.
Monaco
Daniels pov.
Pizza time
Tension rising.
Good girl
Good morning.
Sight seeing.
Confessions
All the way.
What a view.
Mystery woman.
It's out.
Open Mic
What a night.
Wakey wakey.
Breaking point.
Going live
Testing the water.
Smells fishy.
Let's go!
Mile high club
Fans
Karaoke
Breakfast.
Just the two of us.
Punched in the gut.
Will Buxton.
So much support.
Back on track
Quali time.
Sexy surprise
Roscoe
Race sunday.
Back in the UK
Goodbyes aren't easy.
Destination unknown.
LA
Universal
Meeting Blake
She's everything.
Salsa
Miami
Wednesday.
This is me!
Rising star
Back home
Grace and Joe
I'm not!
Guess what..
Fear
Points again.
Disaster strikes.
Guilt
Useless
Darkness
Hold my hand
Fix you.
Together with Lewis
Family
Good enough
We're good
Meetings
Camera.
Honey Badgers birthday
Frustration
Party
I did something
Letting go
Endings and possibilities
Ranch life
Ranch life 2
Cowgirl
Be happy
Wake up!
Awake
Daniel
Road to recovery
Best friends.
Pancake
Signed, sealed delivered
Planning.
Never have I ever.
Choices
Request
Spa
Zandvoort
Insecure
Girlfriends
It's a bug...
Unbelievable
Just a perfect day
Peanut
You're getting lucky tonight.
So much for my happy ending.
Conclusions
The big day
I've loved you for a thousand years.
Closure
Down Under
Crikey
Perth is full of surprises.
The best family
Not again
Crazy Christmas
New year
Oh Love
We're halfway there
Preparation
Textbook
Swiss Chocolate
An 'innocent' game of pool.
Yours?
Not sharing
Race of Champions
Get ready for the launch
New York, New York
You and me
Bahrein Testing
First Friday
You got this
The whole world is watching
Birthday girl
Party and goodbye
Dream
Not today
I'm coming
Race against time
Boy or girl?
Adjusting
Make her proud
Her first flight
Meet the team
Bahrein curse
My champion
Everything changes
Looking back
Epilogue

Private

871 21 0
By Lieke4043

Hey guys, thanks for sticking with me for so long already. I really appreciate you still reading the story and still voting. Please leave a comment, with how you feel about it so far and if you have any tips or storylines you would like to see, let me know. I might be able to use it.

After the shower when we get Daniel back to bed, he falls asleep instantly.
Me, Michael, Blake and Lewis decide to go the restaurant again. I would love to go for a walk outside, but I'm a bit scared if we'll be recognized and then we will have to explain why we are here walking around and Daniel is not.
So far nobody has discovered it yet, but I have to discuss with Daniel what to do.

"Blake, you called the team right?" I ask him as we sit down with a cup of tea.
"I did yeah, they were shocked, we will have a online meeting in a couple of days to see how he progresses. We still have 2 weeks before Spa, but seeing him today I don't know if he's going to be driving there."
I see Michael shrug, "I wouldn't be too sure. Most of the pain he's feeling now are his muscles. They have had a pretty hard hit, but that will get better over the next couple of days. He's obviously very fit and healthy, so if his lung and head don't get in the way, he might actually be able to race in Spa."

"You're going to work with him in LA when he gets discharged anyways, so I guess it's just a matter of taking it one day at a time and then to see what the doctor at home will say. If he gives him the green light, then what's gonna hold him back?" I guess Michael has a point. It is mostly the muscles and bruising that's causing the pain, but that will get better every day especially when he gets out of here and is able to move around a bit more.

"I do really want to thank you guys, the way you dropped everything and just flew over here, not a lot of people would do that. It shows me how much you really care about Daniel."
Lewis puts his hand on my arm, "not just Daniel, we're here to be there for you just as much as for Daniel. You've made him so incredibly happy and I think I speak for all of us, not just the three of us, but every single person who cares about Dan, that we love you amazing person and we are lucky to be in your life."

"Lewis stop, you're going to make me cry. That's way too sweet." I quickly take a sip of my tea to distract myself. But I get warm inside by his beautiful words.
"He's right though Sky. I'm sure there are also plenty of guys out there who wished they met you first so they might have had a chance with you." Michael makes me blush, I really don't think he's right, but it's still really nice of him to say.
"I highly doubt that, but it doesn't matter. All that matters now is that we can take Daniel to LA and then home." I really hope he is able to move around a bit more when he wakes up later.

"If he gets to leave tomorrow, how are we going to get him out of here without people noticing him. We can't put him on a regular flight. Is there anywhere we can charter a private plane or something?" I ask them and we discuss the options for a while.
"Call Max, he has his own plane, I'm sure he's happy to send it over." Lewis suggests.
"That sounds like a lot to ask though. Maybe he needs it for himself." I don't know if I can ask something like that, but at least we wouldn't have to worry about other people on the flight.

"You should call him. He would want to help." Lewis pushes a bit more and I decide I might as well. He can always say no. I dial Max his number and he is quick to answer.
"Skylar! How is Daniel doing?" Is the first thing he asks.
"He's sore all over, but he has been up and he took a shower earlier. He's sleeping now, because it wore him out. Hopefully they will discharge him tomorrow." I update Max quickly.
"Ah brilliant, will you be coming back to Monaco then?"

"No we will go to LA first, but here's the thing. Can I ask you for a huge favor?" I nibble my lower lip, almost too afraid to ask. 
"Always, ask away."
"Do you need your plane by any chance?" I can't believe I'm asking this.
"I don't, you need it to get him to LA don't you?"
"Well kinda. I mean we haven't made anything public about the accident yet and I don't think it would be a good idea having him on a general flight with a lot of other people." I explain but I don't really have to.
Max quickly replies, "what airport is closest to you? I'll make sure it's waiting for you there when you need it."

"Max really? Oh my god you're the best. Lewis told me I should call you, but I felt so uncomfortable asking this from you." A huge sense of relief washes over me. At least we can avoid too many people this way.
"No problem at all, I'm not using it right now, so at least my pilot can have something to do. Text me where you need it and I'll send it your way."
"I will, Max seriously, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I really appreciate this."

"No problem, you make sure he takes his time to heal. He shouldn't rush things."
I huff, "we're talking about Daniel here Max. What do you think? Besides, if it was you, what would you do?"
I hear him clear his throat and I already know what he's going to say.
"Yeah never mind. I get your point. Text me the airport and I'll have the plane over for you asap. Take care."
"Thanks again Max, I'm forever in your debt."
"You're not. See you soon."

We hang up and I am stunned.
He made it sound like I wanted to borrow a cup of sugar.
"Guys would you mind staying with Daniel for a while. I have to get to the ranch to pack our stuff and I want to say goodbye."
I'm really dreading this, I was hoping Daniel and I could have been there for the farewell party, but I guess we'll just have to come back some time to make up for it.
Sometimes I hate getting attached to people and animals so easily. It makes goodbyes heartbreaking and it always takes me a while to get over it.

"Would you mind if I came with you?" Lewis his voice pulls me out of my thoughts.
"No not at all, I would like the company. You two stay with Daniel please?" I look at Blake and Michael and they nod.
"Absolutely, you take your time. We'll drag him out of bed when he wakes up again. Here, the keys to our rental. It's a black Ford Mustang. We put it in the garage, so you don't have to go outside." Michael holds out some keys.

"Really? A Ford Mustang?"
"Yeah well we were in a bit of a hurry to get here, so we just went to the first available rental desk and just told them to give us any car. And we got this one. It's really nice though." Blake shrugs.
"They're like my favorite cars ever. Especially the older ones." I finish my tea and take the keys from Michael. "I'll run up to get my bag and then we can go."
In the room Daniel is still fast asleep. He only has his IV attached to him. Other than that they removed all wires and tubes. So he looks a lot more like himself again.

I carefully kiss his forehead and whisper how much I love him. His mouth curls up in a sweet smile, but he doesn't wake up which is good.
Lewis is waiting for me in the lobby as Michael and Blake make their way to Daniel.
In the garage I look around seeing only one stunning black Ford Mustang.
When I press the button on the key to unlock it, the blinkers turn on and I squeal.
"Holy crap look at that car. It's amazing. I hope you don't mind, but I'm driving!" I almost run to the car. Leaving Lewis standing shaking his head.

When we're in the car I press the start button, only then realizing it's an electric car. I'm a bit disappointed, because I was expecting the engine to roar, but now it's more like a zoom.
"Well that was a bit of a turn off." I sit back and Lewis is shaking with laughter when he sees my face.
"You should have seen your face. Going from all excited to super disappointed. It's hilarious."
"Yeah well I wasn't exactly expecting the car to zoom. When you expect it to be noisy and all you hear is bzzzzzzz, that doesn't really get my blood flowing. But it's still a really nice car, so let's get going." I put the GPS on the ranch to have the directions and then put on some music.

It's a 45 minute drive to the ranch and Lewis and I never stop talking during the ride there.
"Will you be joining us in LA? There's plenty of guest rooms, I would really like it if you'd be there as well." I ask Lewis when we are almost at the ranch.
"I don't know, do you think Daniel wouldn't mind? I don't want to intrude."
"I don't think he would no. But if you have other plans I totally understand." I turn onto the dirt road leading to the house and barns and I feel my heart skip a beat by the sights.
"Let's ask Daniel when we're back and then I'll decide. I don't have any other plans."

Lewis looks at the sights and gasps. "Wow this is amazing. I totally get why you guys would go here."
I smile a bit sad, "yeah it's great here. We were so relaxed pretty much the moment we arrived. The people are great, we were welcomed with open arms. It's going to be hard saying goodbye. Especially now Daniel isn't here."
I park the car at the same spot as the car Daniel and I rented. It's still there as Alex will bring it back to the rental company for us which is extremely kind of him.

Daisy comes out of the house and pulls me in a momma bear hug.
"Oh sweetheart I'm so glad Daniel is doing relatively well. How is he feeling?"
"As if he got hit by a truck, he's black and blue, but he got out of bed today, it's amazing how well he's doing compared to how he was yesterday."
She puts her hand over her heart, "I'm glad to hear that. Hi Lewis good to see you again." She hugs him as well and I realize they met yesterday when Matthew picked him up from hospital.

"Do you want something to drink?" She asks but I shake my head.
"No I'm sorry, I just wanted to pack our stuff and then say goodbye. I don't want to stay away too long. He's probably going to be send home tomorrow, we'll be going to LA so he can recover before going back to Monaco. I just wanted to cuddle Rain for the last time and see you guys."
I swallow, I know Lewis might have to drive back, because I'll be crying my eyes out.

"Alright you get to it, before you go, come inside ok?"
"Definitely, I will be needing one of those bear hugs for on the road." Daisy goes back inside when we go to the cottage to get our stuff.
"Need a hand collecting everything?" Lewis asks.
"Yeah could you get our things out of the bathroom?"
He takes the wash bags I hold out for him and goes into the bathroom while I put our clothes in our suitcases. After that I take the sheets off the bed, so I can give them to Daisy for washing.

It doesn't take long before it's all packed, so we chuck everything in the trunk of the car.
"Let's go to say goodbye to the horses." My stomach feels like it's got a knot in it. I'm going to miss Rain so much it hurts.
I see her standing quite far away, but when I call her name her head shoots up and she gallops to the gate.
"Hi pretty girl. How have you been? I'm here to say goodbye, but I'm going to miss you so much. Thanks for letting me ride you. You're the best horse ever." I bury my face in her manes and the tears start flowing.

I hear somebody walking up to us and when I look up I see Alex, Matthew, Devon and Casey. Alex carrying Rains bridle.
"Here. Take her for a last run." He hands me the bridle and I put it on.
Matthew gives me a leg up and when I'm on her back Alex opens the gate.
She walks through the gate and as soon as we are out I give her the signal and she takes off.
We're flying along side the fence, tears flowing down my face, me leaning over her neck making her go even faster.

I sit back up slowing her down when we reach the lake.
She bends her head down to take a few sips of water while I take in the view for one last time.
After a couple of minutes I turn her back around and we ride past the pasture where I helped deliver Daniels name twin. I look to see if he's in there and I spot him drinking with his mother.
He's already grown a lot in a weeks time, I'm sure he will grow up to be a big bull.
I give Rain space to stretch her neck as we slowly make our way back to her pasture.

The guys are still at the gate except for Alex, when I come riding back. They can all tell I've been crying, but nobody says anything.
I let myself slide off Rains back and remove her bridle.
"You go back girl. I love you and I'll mis you so much. Maybe we will see each other again."
I let her back into her pasture where she walks to the rest of the horses. She does look back once and I swallow the massive lump in my throat.
Suddenly I feel a pair of strong arms wrap around me, when I turn around Lewis pulls me close and I cry against his chest. Making his shirt wet with my tears. Again.

"I hate that I always get so attached to people and animals. Goodbyes suck so much every single time." I say when I finally am able to speak again.
"But that's one of your most amazing personality traits. You love unconditionally, even though it means it might hurt at some point." Lewis gives me a kiss on the top of my head before making our way to the house.

Walking in the kitchen I see Daisy packing some stuff in a little cool bag.
"I cook when I'm upset, so I've made you some bits for the road and also for Daniel." She sniffs as she apparently has been crying as well.
"Oh Daisy you're too kind. Thank you so much." I kiss her on her cheek and she pulls me in for another of her momma bear hugs.
"In this short time you got a very special place in my heart. You're like the daughter I never had."

"You're the mother I wish I had. We will see each other again. You're all coming to the race in COTA right?" I realize it might be difficult for them to leave the ranch for the weekend.
"We are, we have a few guys that don't want to go, so the ranch is in good hands for those days."
She hands me the bag she has filled, when Alex walks in from his office space.
"I'm sorry, I had to take this call. Somebody wanted to buy Rain. They made an offer I couldn't refuse. She will be bred here first and then when she's pregnant she will move to her new home."
Alex words hit me like a sledgehammer. So this was goodbye for real.

"Really? Oh I didn't think you would sell her as she is your best horse." I say trying to sound normal.
"She is, but they are willing to pay a small fortune for her and we can really use the money. This life isn't easy and selling one horse can make sure we will be able to keep going a bit easier, then I can't say no to that. We have to pay our staff and feed our animals." He explains and I understand, I was just hoping I would get to see her again if we visited here some day.
"Don't worry she will be going to a fantastic home. They will love her immensely and she will be treated like a princess. We know them and I will be happy to let her move to them."

I know it's selfish of mine to think they would keep her so I could see her again and if Alex feels this positive about her new owners, I'm sure he's right.
"We should be going. Thank you guys for everything. You have a very special place in mine and Daniels heart. We'll stay in touch and we will see you in October."
We exchange more hugs, but then Lewis and me really have to go. I'm sure Daniel has woken up by now and I just really want to be with him.

"Would you mind driving back Lewis?" I hold out the keys for him.
"No problem. You sit down and relax for a bit. Let's see how Daniel is doing."
As we drive off tears are flowing again, Lewis puts one hand on my leg with his palm up offering comfort.
I put my hand in his as we leave the dirt road on our way back to the hospital.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97.2K 2.6K 46
Sebastian Vettel has just come out of a long term relationship. All Daniel Ricciardo wants is his friend to be happy, and figures that what Seb nee...
231K 5.3K 78
After a crash had prematurely ended Mollie's racing career she had turned her back on the world of motorsport. She had isolated herself from her frie...
147K 3.2K 37
Jess Wilson and Daniel Ricciardo have a lot of unresolved history they're trying to resolve. Both of them are desperate for a family but previous tra...
86.7K 1.8K 41
Alice's spirit is almost broken. She lost her job and her fiancé during the lockdown. Then, in a stroke of luck, she finds herself working for McLar...