Chapter 17.3

Chapter 17.3
I stirred in my sleep, reaching across the bed. The space beside me was unusually vacant. I frowned, letting out a small whine, still half asleep, as I searched for Liam.

I hadn't felt him get up, which was odd because I'm fairly certain I was on top of him for most of the night. What can I say, he's the perfect pillow. He smells good, he's always warm, he's safe.

A deep chuckle sounded from the other end of the room. It was faint and barely able to be heard but the sound still made my stomach flutter. I groaned, not at all ready to get up, as my eyes hesitantly open.

"I didn't mean to wake you," Liam spoke softly as he made his way over to me. He kneeled beside the bed, fully dressed, his hair wet from showering.

The clock beside me read an hour that was long before sunrise.

It's too early for this.

I tried to set myself up but Liam's hand was quick to stop me. "Shh, it's okay. Go back to sleep. I have to go to a meeting but I'll be back later." His fingers ran though my hair, the soothing gesture quick to settle me down.

I had vaguely remembered him telling me about a meeting with the team but I was too tired to think about it. We must have only gotten two or three hours of sleep. I couldn't fathom how Liam was functioning.

I tried to mutter a reply, the sound inaudible. "Have fun," I finally got out.

He kissed my forehead, wrapping the blanket around me, "I will," his voice was quiet as he tried not to wake me any further.

I sighed contently. I could hear his retreating footsteps and the closing of the door, letting me know he was gone.

I fell back asleep almost instantly, the warmth from the blanket tranquilizing.

Unfortunately my peaceful sleep did not last very long, or at least it didn't feel long, as a heavy weight began to crush my spine. "Athena!" I groaned.

She rolled over so that she was laying across my body. "Yes?" She replied innocently.

"What are you doing? It's not even six in the morning!" I buried my face in the comforter, which conveniently smelled like Liam.

Man, I have a problem.

I wasn't a fan of the new citrus body wash. Don't get me wrong, it smelled good, but it wasn't Liam good. Turns out it was just the hotel body wash, so he would be back to his usual scent soon.

"Yeah, well, Sam woke me up hours ago because he had to go to some meeting and the guy is way louder than one should be when getting ready, so I lost my beauty sleep. And since you are my best friend, you get to lose yours as well."

I didn't see how that is remotely fair. When I said I would go through thick and thin with her, this is not what I meant. I need my sleep.

"It's too early," I groaned but she wasn't listening.

She was off to another topic in a heartbeat. "Did you tell him?"

I pretended not to know what she was talking about.

"Come on!" She playfully slapped me, "Did you tell Liam?"

I stayed silent for a moment, deciding I might as well mess with her. After all, she is my best friend, "Yes,"

Technically it was not a lie.

She squealed loud enough to wake the entire hotel. Before I knew it I was being dragged up off the mattress and held at arm's length as my best friend shook me violently, demanding I tell her all the details. "What did he say?" Her eyes glowed in excitement.