Chapter 8.3

Chapter 8.3
I was awakened by several small faint noises. Still mostly asleep, I cuddle closer to the object holding me. Warmth flooded me as I breathed in the scent of strawberries and cologne. Liam. My arms were wrapped around him, feeling his toned back. My face pressed against his chest, which was moving at unsteady increments. My eyebrows drew together, my eyes still closed. I heard the same noise as before: a whimper.

My eyes opened hesitantly. Liam's chest shook as he heaved for air. I looked up to his face. His eyes were still closed and he was clearly still asleep. I could barely see him in the dark but the little bit of moonlight that could be seen through the window, reflected off the tears that cascaded down his cheeks. He was completely silent as he cried, aside from the occasional whimper.

I untangled my arms from him, still remaining close, as I brought my hands up to cup his face. "Liam," I whispered, wiping his tears with my thumb.

He didn't wake up. I tried again, a bit louder, "Liam,"

Another whimper, even louder, as his bottom lip began to quiver. I scooted up so I could see his face better. "Liam,"

He pulled me in tighter, still not waking up.

"Hey Liam," I whispered softly, holding his face, "Liam it's okay, it's just a nightmare,"

Still nothing. He was dead asleep. More tears fell down his face, "Liam," I spoke far louder this time, "Liam wake up," I shook him gently. Still nothing, "Liam!"

His eyes, which were dark and dim, lacking vibrancy, flew open as he took several deep, unsteady breaths. He scanned my face frantically, trying to figure out what's going on. "Hey it's okay," I brushed away another tear, "It's okay, I'm here, I've got you. It was just a nightmare. You're okay," I attempted to sooth him.

I took a good look at his face, from what I could see in the dark. He looked... scared. I pressed my forehead to his. His eyes fluttered close, as did mine. He took several deep breaths before pulling me closer to him and burying his face in my neck. I wrapped my arms around him, holding him tightly. He didn't say a word and I didn't ask him too.

"I'm sorry," he murmured into my neck. His hot breath tickled and I tried not to squirm. Now was not the time for that.

I rubbed his back softly, "You don't have to apologize, it's okay,"

I could feel him attempt to nod but lacked the room, considering my body was pressed right up against his.

I whispered in his ear, "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No," his voice was hoarse.

I respected his request, simply holding him until he felt better. I continue to rub his back, running my finger along it as I phantom draw random pictures onto his back. I started with a small rose, shaping every curve of its petals with my finger. I continued drawing various shapes as I held him.

Liam finally spoke, his lips brushing against my neck. I'm way too ticklish for this. "A butterfly?"

I crinkled my eyebrows, "What?"

"A butterfly, is that why you were drawing on my back?"

He realized what I was doing? I gave him a small laugh, "Oh yeah, sorry. I'll stop,"

I felt him shake his head, "No, don't, please. I like it,"

My lips curved up slightly as I continued to trace my finger along his spine.

His chest began to fall at steadier increments. I followed the movement to match it with my own.

I'm not sure at what point he managed to fall back asleep. All I knew is there was no way I was getting out of his grip without waking him up. I ran my finger along his arm and rested my head against him. My finger ran down to where my drawing was still very prominent on his arm. The corner of my lips curved up slightly. He didn't wash it off.