Chapter 19.1

Chapter nineteen
Liam pulled off to the side of the road beside my house.

I knew Charles was home but I had to see Chase. I needed to make sure he was okay and we had to find a way to get him out of that house. Maybe I could adopt him once I was eighteen? I couldn't risk Charles snapping one day and hurting him. I had to protect Chase.

"Thank you," I unbuckled my seatbelt, leaning across the console to hug Liam.

He kissed the side of my head, wrapping his arms around my back.

"I'll see you tomorrow, I lo-" I cut off mid sentence, my breath hitching in the back of my throat. I could feel every muscle in Liam's body tense as he registered my words, or lack thereof. Too frazzled by what almost left my lips, I couldn't even come up with an excuse to play it off.

Did I really almost say that to him?

I coughed awkwardly, still unable to breath, my hands trembling slightly. "I um-" my brain refused to formulate a sentence.

"What?" Liam whispered softly, still holding me.

Tears pricked my eyes. The last time I cried because of pure fear, my mother was killed in front of me.

"I um-" I took in a ragged breath, "I like hanging out with you," I covered.

His body relaxed, but he almost looked... disappointed: his smile sad, his eyes less vibrant than usually. "I love hanging out with you too," he kissed me softly before pulling away.

And perhaps it was a good thing I hadn't finished my sentence, so when I inevitably had to stab him in the back, I didn't have to twist the knife.

I gave him one last smile, the last smile I would give him, and headed into my house.

I watched from the doorway as Liam drove away.I desperately wished I could have stopped time there, prevented the future events from occurring. But unfortunately that was not the case. Despite Athena's opinion, this Cinderella did not become a princess and would always be a mere peasant maid, enslaved to her evil foster father.

I desperately tried to sneak up to Chase's room without anyone noticing me, but unfortunately that was not the case. Charles's voice boomed from the kitchen, causing chills to run up my spine. I held my breath, cautiously turning around. I crept into the kitchen, staying as quiet as possible. "Yes?" I just wanted to see Chase.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"To my room?" If you could even call it that, I barely spend any time there. I was never home.

"We need to talk."

That was never a good sign.

"What about?"

He paused, "That boyfriend of yours."

"I'm not going to talk about that." I held my ground.

His lips formed a line, "Alright, then I'll talk and you'll listen. You're going to break up with the boy."

"Absolutely not." How could he expect me to oblige to a command as absurd as that.

"This is not a debate."

"You're right, it's not. I'm not breaking up with him. He's my boyfriend and this matter does not concern you."

"I think it does. You'll have to break up with him, unless you would prefer to be a cheater."

"What are you talking about?" I gritted my teeth, crossing my arms.

"You're going to date Bradley, he is back in town."