Chapter 23.1

Chapter twenty three
The cuts on my cheek had begun to heal gently but I was sure they would scar. Even the bruises had started to fade, but by now I had plenty more to make up for their receding colors. At least Bradley was good at not aiming for my face, making it a lot easier to deflect people's suspicion, not that anyone really cared about me.

Liam kept his distance at school, practically pretending that night didn't happen, so much to the point that I questioned if it had. But to be fair, I was avoiding him just as much as he was me. I couldn't risk him getting a glimpse of one of my bruises, or asking me if I was okay because I'd probably break down on the spot. So I sat away from him in all my classes, looked away when we passed in the hall, and unlike Liam, I did act like that night happened but it never should have. It was a mistake.

He hadn't been at school the last two days, I don't know why though. I was highly tempted to ask someone but I had no one to do so. I was still alone, Tara being my only friend.

I had begun to look so horrible that when I walked down the street, parents would move their children to the other side of the road to keep them away from me.

It had also become far easier to avoid the drugs, though at certain times of the day I could still feel the ache in my chest as I craved it. Bradley was still mad at me, denying me the pleasure of any form of narcotic as if it were some sort of punishment. I took it as a blessing, a way for me to prove I was stronger than this.

My bare feet skidded across the pavement as I made the short walk home. I had come to the grand realization that heels were not my friend, especially after Bradley made me walk home so many times. But he insisted on heels, said they made my legs look better.

If I ever get out of this, I am never wearing heels again.

Today was different though, Bradley never even bothered to show up. He insisted that I need him and then left me standing all alone, not that I minded. But it was the first time he had ever done this. I wondered if it would become the next routine of ours. It would be much preferred to the current one, less painful.

I shifted back and forth, watching my feet on the sidewalk as I hastily attempted to a voice letting my feet hit a crack. I cracked a small smile, trying to prevent myself from laughing like an idiot, a side effect from hitting my head so many times I liked to joke.

But the laughter quickly faded away as my foot landed on a crack and I froze immediately, my brain shutting off as I tried to take deep breaths.

I shook the nerve wracking feeling away, turning the corner, my house finally coming into view.

My eyes widened, all bits of insanity clearing from my mind as I began to think straight.

Blue and red lights illuminated my house in the distance, gaining the attention of all of our neighbors who I'm sure were wondering if it was for them. But they weren't, each light firmly planted in my front yard.

I took off in a full blown sprint, running the fastest I ever have in my entire life with one thought on my mind: Chase.

My feet slammed against the ground with each step that I took but I couldn't get there fast enough.

I finally made it to my front lawn, where police cars were surrounding it. I watched the scene with petrified eyes, desperately scanning for Chase but there was no one around but the front door was left wide open. The air was left stagnant and for a moment I could have sworn I heard yelling, a female voice, definitely a female. It was not one that I recognized but I could hear Charles's own muffled complaints mixed in.

Before I could make my way into the house, the owner of the feminine voice exited the building, Charles behind her in handcuffs.

He looked as angry as ever, his eyes blazing, his body rigid as he stared me down as if this was somehow my fault. He struggled against the officer, protesting in an attempt to clear his name but she simply continued on with procedure and read him his rights.