Chapter 26

Chapter 26
My hands quivered as I applied mascara, trying my hardest not to get it on my eyelid.

Athena had always been the one to do my makeup but I insisted on doing it myself today. It was a big day: Bradley's trial. I was testifying against him.

I closed the mascara bottle, glancing at myself in the mirror.

Mrs. Harding had bought me a new outfit to wear to court: a black pencil skirt and a white blouse.

I had tried my best to do my own makeup but the most I could succeed is mascara and a bit of lipstick, also gifted to me by Mrs. Harding.

My hair had been freshly cut, almost seven inches. It was a big change but I needed it. The soft waves fell just below my shoulders now.

I had surprised Liam with it a couple days ago, he loves it, and honestly, so did I.

But even with the reduction, my hair was still left tangled and matted. I had saved it for last, trying my best to avoid having to handle the mess.

I grabbed the light blue detangling brush from the counter, running it through the knots. They fought against my knots, struggling to keep to hold.

I tore the brush through repeatedly.

I had never truly cared about my hair, my main goal being to just get the knots out whether that be by brushing them, ripping them, or cutting them. It didn't much matter to me.

But this morning, the knots were driving me insane and for a moment I debated just shaving my head off.

There was a slight knock at the door as I tore another stand out of my head. "Come in!" I called out.

Mrs. Harding opened the door gently, dressed prim and proper in her pantsuit. She was the district attorney for this case and was working against Bradley.

"You look beautiful."

She had been very supportive this last month that I have been living in her household. Liam and I were of course given rules, now that we lived together, but they were fairly lenient.

She also gave Liam a box of condoms and offered to get me on birth control. I have never been more mortified in my entire life.

"Thank you." I continued to rip through my hair.

Ms. Harding stopped me, "May I?"

I gave her a curious stare but handed her the brush never the less.

She sprayed my curls down with strangle before gently combing through the knots. The released in ease.

My eyes quickly began to water and she treated me with such tenderness and love, just like my mother once had.

I fought back the tears, refusing to cry. I spent too long doing my mascara to cry.

"Thank you," I whispered as she handed the brush back.

"Come down stairs when you're ready."

I nodded, watching as she left.

Her and Chase stood at the bottom of the staircase waiting for me.

I took Chase's hand in mine, ready to finally get this over with.

-:-/-:-/-:-/-:-/-:-/-:-/-:-/-:-/-:-

The courtroom was tiny, and yet seemed so big despite the number of people here. On my side or the court, Athena, Veronica, Taylor, Chase, Lilly and Liam sat, providing moral support.

Bradley's side was empty, not even his parents bothered to make an appearance.

Bradley shot me a dirty look, which I tried my best to ignore, as I had been doing all morning.