Chapter 17.1

Chapter Seventeen
My legs bounced up and down as I sat in Ms. Iris's office. My backpack and duffel bag rested beside me, packed for the Seasons trip, which I would be heading to as soon as this meeting was over.

I had no clue what said meeting was about or who I was meeting with.

My fingers drummed against the desk as I ran through every single possibility of what this meeting could be over.

Ms. Iris re-entered the room, a small black poetry book resting in her hands.

I recognized the book immediately: Waiting Times by Leah Marlot. I had read it numerous times after my mother had been killed. It was a comfort item for me, gifted to me by Maverick. It had been my mother's as a teenager, she passed it down to Maverick before she adopted me. Maverick had given it to me before they took me away, as a token to remember our family by. I still had the book buried underneath the floorboard.

It's been my favorite book ever since, I read it every time I was upset. It always managed to soothe me, even now.

My mother had loved it for the drawings on each and every page. They all showed such raw emotion. It was beautiful, truly a work of art.

I could still remember her reading it to me every night. Other parents had scolded her for it, saying the context was too mature for someone my age. She said it was perfect for someone my age, especially after everything I had been through. She read it as a reminder that it was okay to have emotions. It was okay to be upset.

Ms. Iris sat down in the chair in front of me. She handed me the book, "Are you familiar with this book?"

I flipped through the pages, a smile arriving on my face, "I am,"

Ms. Iris grinned, "I'm glad. I'm sure you've noticed the drawings in it?"

I nodded. Of course I had, they were magnificent.

"Perfect. Now do you have your portfolio with you?"

She had previously asked me to bring it. "Here," I handed her the yellow folder filled with artwork.

She had made me create one my junior year, so I could apply to an art school. I didn't have the heart to tell her that college wasn't an option.

Ms. Iris flipped through the drawings, examining each and every of them. "They're just as exquisite as I remember them,"

"Thank you," I must have had thirty of my finest drawings in that folder.

"These are perfect,"

"May I ask who we're meeting with?"

Her eyes lit up in excitement. "Oh sweetheart, you're not going to believe it," as if on cue, there was a knock at her door.

An older woman, maybe in her mid-thirties, stood in the doorway. Her dark, short curly hair bounced as she entered the room. I recognized her immediately: Leah Marlot.

No way!

She was my idle.

I took a deep breath, trying to remain calm as she took the seat beside me.

"Hi!" She greeted me, "I'm Leah Marlot. You must be Sapphire Kingston, I've heard so much about you,"

Act calm, play it cool. Don't freak out.

"Hi!" I squeaked.

Welp, there goes that idea.

Ms. Marlot let out a small laugh at my awkwardness. "It's so lovely to meet you,"