Chapter 19.2 (Liam's POV)

Chapter 19.2
Liam's POV
I click off my phone, stepping out of my car. Sam pulled up beside me, giving me a wave. He and Athena drove separately today so that Athena could pick up Chase. 

I greeted Sam with the usual bro hug as we waited for the girls.

The seven of us— Athena, Sam, Chase, Veronica, Lilly, and Taylor— were planning a surprise party for Sapphire. According to Chase she hasn't had a birthday party since she was seven. We figured it was time she had one. She deserves at least that after everything she's been through.

The girls caught up with us in the parking lot. "She's going to be so happy." Athena cheered, showing me some of the decor.

The entire theme was blue as it was her favorite color. We had been planning this party for months, almost as long as Sapphire and I have been 'dating' though the majority of it was pretend. But let's face it, it was rarely ever fake, I stopped following any of the rules she had made probably a month in. I guess part of me always knew I had feelings for her, maybe that's why I asked her to pretend to date me in the first place. An excuse to get to know her, though I don't think I was aware of that fact when it all started.

I don't know how I got so lucky, that she actually returned my feelings. But these past two weeks she's been acting differently. She doesn't come over as much, she doesn't touch me as often or let me hold her quite as much. I tried asking her about it a few times but she just played it off as being tired. But when she would sleep over, she would hold onto me tighter than usual, like she was scared to let go and I swear, I heard her cry some nights when she thought I was asleep. But she would never tell me why.

The seven of us made our way towards the diner. I was the first one to enter, though I wish I hadn't been. My smile dropped instantly as my eyes landed on Sapphire, her lips locked with another guys.

I instantly covered Chase's eyes, knowing that she would hate for him to see this. He didn't bother pushing me away, closing his eyes instinctively. "What's going on?" He whispered.

I was in too much shock to answer.

Lilly gasped, clutching onto Taylor as she watched her friend make out with some guy.

Sam shot me a sympathetic look that I paid no attention to. My eyes were locked in Sapphire. She didn't move along with him, stiff as a board in his lap and I swear I could see her shaking. She didn't look comfortable in the slightest.

Athena shook her head, taking a step back, "She wouldn't,"

But apparently she would because here she was in front of me doing just that.

"She is." Taylor voiced my thoughts.

Sam patted my back, giving my shoulder a squeeze, "I'm sorry, mate."

His words didn't do much to sooth me as I was struggling to breathe properly, trying to keep my composure.

I tried to formulate some reasonable sentence but the only thing that came out of my mouth was, "Fire?"

She tore away from him, her face worn out and tired. She didn't look the least bit surprised to see me, her eyes watery as if she had already been crying. Maybe from guilt, almost like she didn't want to? But I couldn't fathom why she would cheat on me if she didn't want to.

I didn't stay to see anymore, already feeling a tear slip down my cheek.

I hated letting people see me cry, Sapphire, Sam, and my mother being the only ones. I had a reputation to uphold and crying in front of a bunch of strangers wouldn't look good. I mean what would people say: the star quarterback sobs in the middle of a busy restaurant after his girlfriend cheats on him. Everyone in school would hear about it in a heartbeat. I would be ridiculed in a heartbeat. And as much as I hated to admit it, I cared what people thought about me.