Chapter 19.2

Chapter 19.2
My legs shook as I took a seat at a booth in the diner where Tara cheated on Liam, the same booth as she did that night. All Brandon's idea, who was sitting five seats down, recording everything for Charles.

It's been two weeks since I made the deal with Charles. He gave me two weeks to set everything up, to start distancing myself from Liam, to start acting evasive. Brandon was acting as Charles watchdog, making sure everything went to plan, that I was following orders. Which I was, mostly because I didn't have a choice. I avoided Liam as much as possible at school, Brandon watching my every move carefully. I haven't been able to leave the house except to go to school unless I was escorted by Brandon. My phone was constantly being watched, all my messages going to Charles as well. There was nothing I could do, though I tried as hard as I could to prevent this.

The only place I was allowed to go without Brandon was to go see Tara, because Brandon assumed after Tara cheated on Liam, that Liam would never step foot near Tara. Unfortunately Liam hadn't visited Tara, so I never got a chance to talk to him, though I don't know what I would say. I'm sorry maybe? I couldn't tell him the truth, though I desperately wanted to. I hated myself for what I was about to do.

I had visited Tara every single day for two weeks straight. She was getting better but they're worried about an air embolism, so they're keeping her in the hospital for further inspection, which worked out great because by the time she is released, there's a good chance they'll have everything sorted legally and she'll be able to get emancipated.

Over the past few weeks, we've gotten a lot closer. It's like we were back to being little kids again. I had enjoyed being her friend again.

I wiped my sweaty palms on my skirt, my stomach churning, the queasy feeling making it difficult to refrain from puking. I hated this, I hated that I was being forced to do this. I didn't want to hurt Liam and I knew this would kill him. Especially like this, exactly how Tara cheated.

Brandon had definitely proved his loyalty to Charles, finding every way to make me more miserable and to make this more painful for Liam.

I checked my phone. Bradley would be here in a few minutes. I hadn't seen him since I broke up with him. I would have liked to keep it that way, the image of his face before his fist collided with my skin still traumatizing me.

Brandon watched me with eyes like a hawk, making sure I followed every step, and I did. I wore the outfit they insisted on, I sat at the table they demanded, I've done everything. And I'm doing all of it for Chase, to keep him safe. A fact that I had to constantly remind myself, or else I would have given up by now. Charles could do whatever he wanted to me, but I wouldn't let him hurt Chase.

The door to the diner swung open, the small bell ringing through the room. My breath hitched in my throat as I laid eyes on him. He looked different, more broken. His body was more muscular, stronger. His skin was paler, the effect of drugs and alcohol clearly present. To the average eye though, he may still appear attractive, his strong jaw line, slanted almond eyes that were the darkest shade of brown, almost black, shaggy black hair that had been tousled lazily. To the average person, he may be attractive, but to me, he was horrendous, absolutely repulsive and nothing compared to Liam.

I could no longer breath, my throat burning, making it difficult to swallow. "Princess," Bradley greeted me.

Brandon glared at me, as if to warn me not to mess this up.

I nodded, ignoring my trembling body. "Bradley," I despised the sound of my own voice. I sounded... weak, defenseless. Because at this moment I was.

"It's good to see you again, been a long time."

Not long enough, "Yeah it had," I paused, choking on my lies, "I've missed you."