CHAPTER 53

Jospeh turns to me and rushes over to me. "I know. I know. It's okay. He told me everything. It's all going to be okay." Joseph tries soothing me but everything he's saying sounds muffled.

I close my eyes and let my tears go, I'm too late. He saw me and just left. I pull from Jospeh's grip and turn away to walk out of the room.

Dinner rolls by and everyone is sitting by the table. It's more quiet than usual. I don't hear the usual whispers of Sawyer and Evan talking privately in the corner. I don't feel the constant side eyes Sawyers always throwing me or the kind eyes I sometimes catch. The atmosphere is just different. As far as I can tell only Jospeh and Evan know the truth about time traveling. Avery is a little oblivious to it all.

"Why are you all so quiet today?" Avery questions all of us. We all eye each other. Evan coughs quietly before talking,

"It's Monday?" He questions more than answers. Jospeh snorts at his remark, Avery rolls her eyes.

"You guys are acting like Sawyer is never coming back. He literally just went on a trip out of the country. He won't be back for a couple of weeks." She shrugs, shoving a spoonful of food into her mouth.

"Is that true, a couple of weeks?" I question, looking back and forth between Evan and Jospeh.

"Could be more. Longer." Jospeh replies with a slight shrug and I shrink back into my chair.

"It will be good for him to be gone for a while. The stress of whatever weight of the world he carries can't be good." She smiles at me.

"What is he doing traveling anyway?" I question, again eyeing both Joseph and Evan. I try getting as much information out.

"Business." Both of them reply at the same time.

"What kind of business?"

"Family business." Evan jumps in before Jospeh can answer. I eye them both suspiciously. "That's enough questions for today." Evan starts to get up but Jospeh stops him.

"I have some news." Jospeh says and Evan slowly sits back down.

"As you guys know, I've been enlisted into the military. I start training in three days. I'll be heading back to the states." He drops the bomb. All of us are quiet. I don't think Sawyer told him anything about that day in the desert.

Avery smiles and claps. "I'm so excited. You've been wanting to do this your whole life."

"Congrats, brother." Evan smiles. I glare at all of them. Jospeh breathes out and turns to me.

"You're leaving me to." I say standing up, dropping my fork on the plate. I'm trying to be supportive and happy for him but I just can't, knowing what's ahead for him. And I especially don't want to make this about me.

"Just for nine weeks." He says.

"Opal, you should be proud." Avery reprimands.

"I am. It's just...." I look back at Jospeh a small frown on his lips as he watches me. I breathe out, "I'm happy for you." I plaster on a smile and sit back down. I'm not hungry anymore and as soon as Evan excuses himself, so do I.

I slip into my room and draw my anger away. I remember the way Sawyer would look down at me. The shy smile he does right before he kisses me. I draw that moment, not ever wanting to forget it.

A few knocks at the door draw me out of my thoughts and I quickly close my journal and hide it.

"Opal. It's me." Jospeh softly says after knocking again. I look up at the ceiling and breathe out.