CHAPTER 75

"Today was fun. Thank you for having me." Thomas says. "Goodnight!" He squeezes my hand and he heads back into the uber car.

I'm in front of the door and I breathe in before entering. A few lights are on as I walk to the kitchen. I'm so hungry I can eat anything at this point.

Sawyer is leaning against the counter drinking water, I assume. As soon as he sees me enter he exits out the other door. I roll my eyes, so dramatic.

I look for any leftovers Nancy might have put away and start heating up everything I see.

I warm up mashed potatoes, macaroni, some lemon chicken and casserole of vegetables. I start digging in the dim light from the kitchen stove illuminating the room as I eat. It's peaceful eating alone this late.

I hear the kitchen door swing open.

"Opal! You scared me. What the hell are you going?" Avery gasps and I drop my fork, her sudden entrance scaring me.

"I'm hungry." I shrug.

"Well you are eating for..." She lifts her fingers up and does the number two as she whispers.

"I know it's late, but I couldn't eat over there." I tell her and she grabs a water bottle from the fridge and sits in front of me.

She's quiet for a minute as she watches me take a few bites. I know something is on her mind so I look at her.

"Do you have something to say?" I ask.

"What were you and Sawyer doing in that room?" She asks. I slowly chew my food to come up with an excuse other than telling her time travel.

"He just wanted to talk to me. You know how he is." I take another bite. "He was mad about something I did."

She looks at me for a while and nods, "Why is he always mad at you? Why can't he admit he's in love with you?" She rolls her eyes. I shrug.

"What was he mad about this time?" She asks and I choke on my food not prepared on her prying.

"Oh, I said something that hurt Petras feelings."

"You have to learn to filter what you say." She laughs. "He needed to take you that far just to reprimand you?" She questions further. I sigh out, obviously she's looking for a certain answer and I'm not giving it to her.

"Avery, ask the question you want the answer to." I push my plate away, not that hungry anymore. She smiles but squints her eyes at me.

"This is going to sound crazy. But I know for a fact I saw you and Sawyer in that room standing there one minute and gone the next. When I opened the door, both of you seemed kind of out of it. So did he take advantage of you? Did he push you to the floor? Why weren't you screaming for help?" She asks and I nod trying to understand her logic. I guess from her point of view it looked a little sketchy.

"No, Sawyer isn't like that." I deny her crazy claim.

"I trust you would tell me." She grabs my hand.

"I would if anything like that happened, but it didn't. I promise." I assure her but she doesn't sound convinced.

"If I find out he put his slimy hands on you he's not going to know what hit him."

I start to laugh, "Avery calm down. I trust Sawyer with my life. He wouldn't hurt me in any way." I put my plate into the fridge. He will hurt my heart though.

"I know. I just want a reason to punch him." She sighs out. "He's been so annoying lately." She leans her head on the table.

"How so?" I asks and she shrugs.