CHAPTER 10

I wake up with a headache the next morning. And the feeling of not wanting to get out of bed is strong.

I groggily walk down stairs and put my hair up in a bun. I can already feel the heat.

"Look who decided to wake up..." I hear a voice and I jump, startled. 

A head pops up from behind a couch. It takes a minuet for me to realize who it is. Drew.

"Look who finally made it." I squint my eyes at him, and he rolls his eyes.

"Blame the plain..."

"Mom said it's because she's pregnant and you didn't take lightly to that..." I cross my arms over my shoulder. He quietly laughs and looks down, shaking his head.

"Happy belated birthday..." He says, changing the subject.

"Thanks, now back to the main issue..." I tell him. He gets up from off the couch. His dirty blonde hair spiking up everywhere.

"I just got here."

"From the looks of your hair, it seems like you've been sleeping for hours." I tell him.

"Two hours ago." He shrugs.

"Finally got to meet the famous uncle Whit. I can see why you like spending your summer here. Not going to lie, I can spend my whole day with him and not be bored. He talked about how he went to Egypt, and got to practice the process of mummification....."

I give him a weird look, my eyes open wide. Whit, mummifying humans? Is that still a thing?

"On cats..." Drew looks at me annoyed. He knows my mind wanders and he hates when I don't let him finish whatever he says.

"Oh."

"Anyway, got you this.." He says and grabs something from his suitcase. "Don't be mad, but I'm leaving today. I have a midterm on Monday and I need tomorrow to study." He says and I look down at medium sized box.

I ignore what he says. I was going to try to convince him to stay all week, seems like I won't be doing that.

I open the box and inside is a purple Polaroid camera.

"You didn't.. but how? You're a broke college kid." I mutter to myself. I guess it's fine that he leaves today.

"Since mom and dad took your phone away, I thought you could take pictures and create memories while you're here." He says with a shrug. "And I'm not some useless college guy, I have a job." He rolls his eyes.

The first picture I snap is of my brother and his crazy hair. I let the picture develop and laugh hysterically.

"You're so handsome." I jokingly tell him and he swipes the picture from my hold.

His hair is all over the place, his mouth half open, and his eyes, one is open and one closed. The least flattering picture of him.

"All those girls you sleep with will die for this picture..." I tell him, he stares at it and he breaks out laughing. He pulls out his phone and takes a picture of it.

"This is to be seen by no one." He warns and I grab the picture back.

"I decide what I do with it.." I stuff it in my shorts pocket, so he won't get it.

I notice the house is quiet,

"Hey, where is everyone?"

"Whit took them around town. Something about baby clothes." He shrugs.

"Why didn't they take me? I need a few things..."

"I can take you later..." Drew offers and I nod. "I'm going to shower, I feel sticky and gross. It's freaking hot." He complains and he walks to the bathroom.