CHAPTER 19

I slowly get up and try looking for Sawyer. I'm surrounded by green grass. There are large houses with fences and I'm just outside a fenced house.

I hear someone scream and then a loud splash of water. I walk over to the other side of the fence and as I'm about to turn, my mouth is covered and I'm being hauled back.

I kick and squirm.

"Hey, it's just me." I hear Sawyers familiar voice and I calm. He lets me go and I glare at him. My heart is racing and I bend down both my hands on my knees as I catch my breath.

"Where the hell are we?" I question. Sawyer ignores me and walks off. I follow him as he hides behind some bushes. His attention on two small boys riding bikes.

I look at him, he's not pale anymore. He doesn't even look like he was sick. When his hand touches my arm it's hot. His skin almost burning mine.

My attention moves back to the small kids, who have made an obstacle course and are racing each other. They're off the bikes, and running to a tree. The smaller one with curly hair climbs the tree before the taller one. He grabs onto a long thick rope and jumps off, screaming before he lands in the large lake.

"Cheater! Your bike didn't even touch the line and you got off it to run." The older run accuses.

The smaller one just laughs and splashes the older one.

I look to Sawyer, his eyes glossy. I avert my attention when I hear an old man yelling.

"Evan! Get inside. What did I tell you?"

I feel Sawyer tense up beside me and I watch as the boys at the lake stop laughing and playing.

I watch as the older one whispers something to the younger one. The younger one looks angry before he nods and gets out of the lake.

"I made lemonade." An elderly lady shouts. That seems to perk the boys up and they start racing back inside.

Sawyers hands clench into fists and I touch his arm.

"That's you and Evan." I state and he nods.

"Why are you showing me this?" He turns to look down at me.

"They're the reason..." He croaks and I rub his arm to comfort him, but he pulls away.

He takes my hand in his and pulls me to the empty bikes.

"Come on, I'll race you." He says already getting on the tiny bike. I laugh at how giant he looks.

"Won't they hear?"

"They won't remember shit as soon as we leave." He says with a shrug.

I start pedaling as he's distracted looking at the back door.

"Last one there is a rotten egg!" I shout. I can hear him struggling and I laugh. Riding bikes on grass is a hard work. I try pedaling to the line the small boys made and I hear Sawyer catching up. I'm too focused on getting to the line that I don't see Sawyer already running to the rope.

"Hey, you're cheating!" I shout at him and jump off my bike.

"Old habits die hard." He shouts back, laughing.

He swiftly climbs the tree and swings himself into the water. I climb after him and with out thinking I grab the rope and jump right in.

He sees me falling toward him and he swims off. I splash him on the face, "You're such a cheater." I accuse.

He splashes me harder and I lose my breath and start fake sinking. His expression changes to serious and he grabs me and lifts me out of the water.