CHAPTER 61

For days I've been feeling out of it.
Sawyer has been avoiding me like the plague. He's immersed in his work. He's hired a bunch of interns to take part of his research.

I graduate in a couple of months and medical school is out of the question. I have changed my mind, I just want to experiment in labs and do research.

I walk over to Sawyers office. He's sitting at his desk, his face fully concentrated on the computer screen.

"Sawyer." I whisper. He immediately looks up. He looks so cute with his glasses and messy curls, granted he needs a haircut.

I clear my throat before I start talking and sit on the chairs he has. He raises a questioning eyebrow and I continue,

"I was wondering if I could join your intern group thing." I put my nervous hands underneath my thighs. Sawyer breathes out, takes off his glasses and finally he folds his hands together.

"No." He curtly smiles and goes back to his computer.

"Why not?" I argue.

"You're not qualified. I will be working with students who are top of their class."

"I'm top of my class. I'm top in my whole entire school." I argue.

"Online school." He snorts.

"It's better than nothing. I've learned a lot. I know a lot." I say, my argument weak. "I can prove it to you." I tell him and he squints his eyes, contemplating.

"You can stay a week, and you'll know your answer by the end."

"It can be fun. You and me working together." I smile, but he doesn't seem one bit of amused. "I'm just trying to make something of myself. I have no money, no parents to rely on."

"You will never have to worry about money." He says. I sit there, looking at him. He's changed, he seems older now. Every time I look at him, he's almost always looks like he's on the verge of tears.

When he doesn't see me leaving, his attention turns back to me.

"Yes?" He questions.

"We have to talk about it sooner or later."

"Later." He gruffly says.

"Later with you is never." I roll my eyes. I quickly get up and close the door to his office.

He leans back, arms crossed.

"I don't know what you want me to say, Opal." He shrugs.

"How about start with why you left." I sit, patiently waiting for him to say something.

"I left because I thought I could fix something." He says.

"Joseph dying?" I whisper.

"No. Just listen." He glares and I lean in closer, excited for this story.

"Okay." I whisper.

"I thought I could replicate your necklace." He says and my hand flies to my neck. My necklace it's gone. It's not around my neck. How haven't I noticed.

"That's what they wanted. My necklace!" I say out loud. "I need Evan. I need to tell him."

"Who wanted your necklace?" He questions, he's serious once again.

"And you. You were there. You took me to the hospital didn't you?" I question and he immediately stays quiet.

"Those men. They hit me with a car. They wanted my necklace."