CHAPTER 69

Sawyer isn't in bed with me the next morning. I sigh out, not ready for the day.

I slowly get out of bed and head for the shower. I quickly rinse myself, wash my hair, and brush my teeth.

I slowly walk back downstairs and make sure Sawyer isn't anywhere I'm going to be. Avoidance is key.

I swing the kitchen door open and as I'm about to step foot inside I hear Sawyers voice and I back out.

"Opal?" Avery calls out my name, dammit she's in the kitchen too. I walk back to the living room but Avery catches up to me. "Hey, you're not going to eat?" She asks and I turn to look at her.

"I forgot something in my room. I'll be back." I make up some lame excuse. She eyes me suspiciously but nods and she slowly walks back to the kitchen. I breathe out, that was close.

I run back upstairs and grab my drawing book and head to the round room. It's at least two in the afternoon and my stomach growls.

I've spent all morning drawing those zombie things I keep having dreams about. It's weird. I hear heavy foot steps coming toward the only door in this room and I start to panic. I quickly put all my drawings into one pile and hide them under a couch pillow.

"Opal." Nancy breathes out, she's holding onto her chest. "There you are. Everyone is looking for you." She says and I nervously laugh.

"Sorry." I apologize for scaring her.

She looks around the room then back at me, "What are you doing up here?" She asks.

"Clearing my mind." I head for the door, "is there any food. Is there cereal? I think I'm going to eat." I start to babble and walk back down before she can answer.

Once I make it back down I bump into Evan.

"Opal?" He questions and his line of sight eyes where I just came from as if someone else were to be trailing behind me.

"Is Sawyer with you?" He asks and I shake my head no.

"Hmm, weird." Evan mutters and he starts to turn away from me.

"Why weird?" I ask.

"Hmm? Oh I thought he would just be with you." He says with a small shrug. Sawyer doesn't hang out with me enough for Evan to think that, right?

"Oh nope. He isn't here. Nancy is."  I try maneuvering around him but he stops me,

"If you see him, let him know I'm looking for him." With that Evan let's go of me and heads off somewhere in the house.

I slowly make my way into the kitchen and grab as many snacks before someone comes in. The soda I bought the other day and a few bags of chips should keep me through the day. Oh cereal, I need cereal. I grab a box and quickly head out. The door swings open into Sawyer, hitting him right in the face.

"Ah, fuck." Sawyer winces in pain.

I don't say anything, his eyes are closed, he hasn't seen who it is. I quickly run to the other door and exit before he can say anything. My heart is racing, but I make it to my room on time.

"Opal?" I hear a knock at the door as I'm about to eat a bag of chips.

Drew barges into the room.

"What are you eating?" He questions.

"Snacks." I open the bag up and pop a chip into my mouth.

"Where were you all morning?" He questions.

"Outside drawing." I shrug.

"Of course." Drew rolls his eyes. "Sawyer is training me." He says almost excited.