CHAPTER 79

I don't know what to do. We all just stand in the same spot. I inch forward a little and I feel Sawyers grip on my arm tighten.

"Joseph!" I run to him and hug him.

"Hey." He gruffly says. He looks tired and worn out.

"Joseph." I feel Sawyer behind me. They shake hands and Sawyer pulls him in for a short hug.

"I didn't know you were coming." I smile.

"Yeah, me neither. Surprise." He softly smiles.

"Thank you for the mug. I love it." I smile up at him and he looks down at me confused.

"Mug?" He questions and I look to Sawyer who is eyeing Joseph with a secret message. So Sawyer got me the mug, not Joseph but he said Joseph to make me feel better. I feel the tension so I change the subject.

"How long are you here for?" I question.

"Just a couple of hours before I fly out." He frowns.

"Well I'm glad you're here." I hug him again.

"I need a drink." Joseph pulls away from my hug and heads to the bar section.

"Why is he here?" I turn to Sawyer.

Sawyer is staring down his brother and he finally turns to me.

"I'm not sure." Sawyers eyebrows crease in confusion. "Be back." He says and he follows after his brother. I stand there alone and feel like him being here isn't something good.

"I heard Joseph is here. Evan got to bring him back on an early flight. Where is he?" Avery excitedly pulls at my arm. I point in their general direction and she quickly walks over there. So he's here because Evan.

"Party is going good." Evan sneaks up behind me.

"Yeah I think I'm just going to head to bed." I look up at him with a sad smile. My vision goes back to Sawyer, Avery, and Joseph all talking like they've been friends forever.

"Goodnight. I don't think I will make it until midnight." I laugh but he doesn't and looks down at me. I start walking off but he says something that makes my heart sink.

"I know what you're hiding." He casually says.

I stop in my tracks. I'm pretty sure Sawyer knows as well, right? I hope he doesn't.

"I've noticed a few things, but I want to hear it from your own lips." He says and I look at him confused. He sticks his arm out for me to take and he leads me to his office, where we're both alone. "I've noticed your appetite change and you you keep denying alcohol. Surprised Sawyer hasn't picked up on your little quirks."

I stand in his office unable to move or say anything. Play dumb or just confess. I don't know what to do in this situation. He sits and waits for me to say something. "Sawyer isn't the only one who is observant, who do you think taught him." He says and I keep quiet until I just blurt what I wanted to keep secret out.

"I am pregnant. I have the right to keep this a secret." I say defensively.

Evan just smiles and slowly nods.

"So please, don't say anything." I add when he doesn't say anything.

"Like I say, instinct is a funny thing. You've fallen for Sawyer, haven't you?" He says and I look to the ground. What does this have to do with the baby?

"The baby isn't his." I confess further. "If that's what you're thinking." I'm just digging myself into a deeper hole. Why can't I shut up?

"Opal. I feel sorry for you. We welcome you with open arms and this is how you thank us? By being reckless?" He sits forward. I've never seen Evan this intimidating before, but I'm used to it because of Sawyer.