CHAPTER 23

No one is awake yet and Sawyer goes for the shower. I sit on the table in the kitchen, resting my head for a bit. I hear shuffling somewhere in the living room, but I'm too tired to lift my head and check who it might be.

I hear someone clear their throat and I snap my head up thinking they're trying to get my attention but no one is there. Then I hear Lauren's voice, softly speaking. I slowly get up just close enough to hear her.

She's on the phone and she hasn't spotted me. I check the time that's on the oven, it's five thirty in the morning. She probably thinks we're all asleep.

"Hello?" She softly answers. She uhums a few times. "No sir. When Whit finds out he will be furious." She whispers angrily this time and my eyes widen. "They're here. All safe." She continues. She stays quiet for a long time and I think she's gone but her voice continues. "Onto stage two?" She questions. She sounds hesitant before complying and hanging up.

My heart starts hammering inside my chest and I stay frozen against the wall and pray she doesn't walk into the kitchen.

I hear her footsteps walking toward me and I start to panic. I run to the refrigerator and open it.

"Oh, didn't know anyone was awake." She says as she walks in, an edge to her voice.

I jump startled, and put on a half asleep face.

"Oh, what?" I question with a fake yawn. I'm too afraid to look her in the eye, so I pretend to search for something in the fridge.

"How long have you been awake?" She questions.

More like how long have I been listening in? All of it Lauren, all of it.

"Not long, got thirsty so I came down stairs..." I shrug my shoulders and give her a half smile. I feel her heavy gaze on me and I don't dare look at her.

I slowly take out the milk and get myself a glass. She's watching my every step and I swear for a second she can hear how fast my heart is racing.

"Well, I'm going back to bed." I turn and walk away.

"Stop." She says and I freeze mid step. I slowly turn to her.

"Your glass of milk." She says and I look down at my shaking hands, just realizing they're empty of the milk I poured myself.

"Right, still half asleep." I nervously laugh and she gives me an odd smile. With that I make my exit and breathe out relieved.

When I'm upstairs I take a sip of the milk. Orange juice would have been better but I was too nervous to even notice what I was getting.

I hear a door swing open and I turn and find Jospeh standing by the door. Sleep is still in his eyes but when he notices me standing there we both freeze. His hair is messy and his white t-shirt is all crooked.

I accidentally choke on the milk not expecting him to be up this early.

He gives me a tight smile before heading to the bathroom.

I stand there still dumbfounded. I wish we can move past this and be friends again.

I stand in the hot shower for what seems like hours after hearing the conversation between Lauren and whoever was on the other side of that call. I don't know how I'm supposed to tell the others without making it seem obvious. Would they even believe me? They've known Lauren for years. I get out and lie on my bed, my mind racing.

A knock at the door stirs me out of my thoughts.

"Breakfast is ready? We've been calling out for you and you wouldn't answer." Avery says.