CHAPTER 78

"Opal Walker!" A lady shouts my name and I turn to Avery.

"I'm scared." I whisper. She rolls her eyes,

"You want me to go with you?" She questions and I'm about to answer but she pushes me off my seat and makes me go in by myself.

"Opal?" The nurse says again and I nod. "Good morning." She smiles, "how are you doing?" She makes friendly conversation as I follow her to a room.

"I'm good. What about you?" I answer.

"It's almost Friday so looking toward to that." She laughs and I smile. "You can wait in here." She says and I sit alone in a room as I wait for the doctor.

A doctor finally comes in and asks me to lie down. She lifts up my shirt and sits by a computer machine thing.

"Warm jelly." She says as she squeezes clear jelly onto my stomach. "We're going to be checking measurements. The fluid around the baby and making sure everything is good." She says and I nod.

"Okay." My voice is small and my heart is beating fast. Why does this feel like I'm in trouble?

"First baby?" She asks and I nod. "Dad in the picture?" She questions further and I hold back tears.

"No." I sadly smile and she nods. She squeezes a stick rod thing and moves around my stomach.

"There's that little heart rate." She says and I hear the pounding sound.

"Yay." I smile, not able to hold in my tears. "I've been feeling movements." I let her know.

"Heart rate is 147, which is normal."

"He's sitting down right on its butt." She says and I turn to her.

"It's a boy?" I question.

"Yes. You're four months pregnant." She confirms. "Look, little boy parts." She says and I stare at the screen of the baby inside of me.

"It's a boy." I smile, tears slipping. Why am I crying?

She helps clean off the gel and she gives me papers and that was that.

"Was it as scary as you thought?" Avery asks when she sees me.

"No. I was nervous for nothing."

"Hold on, let me make you're next appointment and pay." She says and I nod.

When we're in the car Avery turns to me.

"Tell me everything." She says.

"I'm four months in." I let her know and her eyes widen.

"No way. Really? I thought maybe a few weeks. You don't even look four months. You're literally tiny. Not bump." She says and I look down at my stomach.

"I see a bump." I argue and she rolls her eyes.

"No bump."

"Do you want to know what I'm having?" I ask and she starts hitting the steering wheel. 

"Yes!" She squeals and accidentally hit the car horn and the car alarm goes off. I can't help but laugh at her reaction and the car going on.

"Tell me! I need to know!" She yells and grabs my arms.

"Want to guess first?" I ask and she thinks for a bit.

"It's a girl. Sawyer really needs a daughter in his life." She says and my smile falls. She realizes what she says. "I mean Joseph." She tries saving herself.

I slowly nod my head yes but change it to No and her excited face falters.

"It's a boy." I tell her and she squeezes my arm and pulls me into a hug.