Chapter 70: Disease? I got infected?

Alita's Point of View

I jumped up looking around, it's light out, and I see that Daryl's still asleep so I push him gently. He grunts a little before opening his eyes, he smiles at me gently.

"I love waking up to your beautiful face." He complements, I blush slightly shaking my head.

"There's nothing better than seeing your blue eyes in the morning, and hearing your groggy voice." I told him leaning over I kissed his cheek running my fingers through his hair, he hums a little.

"We have to get up, got some stuff to do today." I mumbles, and he nods.

"Just a little bit longer." He says pulling me to his chest, and I smiled chuckling a bit.

"Just a little bit longer." I agrees.

-Time skip-

Daryl and I were getting ready to go out and start working.

I was talking with him for a bit when all of a sudden a gunshot rings out followed by more.

I grabbed my my pistols, knives and crossbow running out with the others.

"Walkers in D!" Glenn shouts as we got out.

"What about C?!" Rick asks running up to us.

"Clear. We locked the gates to the tombs. Hershel's on guard, with Alita's dog." Sasha tells him.

"It ain't a breach." Daryl says.

"We followed the plan." I told the group. Soon we ran to cell block D and we find find that all ****'s broke loose.

People are screaming while some are shooting the walkers. Rick starts getting people out while the rest of us start to killing the undead, who wear familiar faces.

I tried not to think about as I put them down.

"Are we clear down here? We're safe?" Rick asks.

"Yeah, yeah." Sasha tells him.

"Up here." A man calls from up the stairs, we head up, when a walker jumps out and attacks Glenn.

"Get down!" Daryl shouts before shooting it, he walks over and helps Glenn up, we go over to the cell and Rick pulls back the curtain.

"Oh, it's Patrick." Daryl says looking down at the walker that attacked Glenn...

-Time skip-

"That's all of 'em." Daryl says, we finished clearing the area and started to put down the ones who haven't turned yet while Hershel treats the hurt ones.

I went over to a cell that Rick had just opened, for me to see him, Hershel, Dr. S and Daryl crowded around a dead walker.

"No bites. No wounds. I think he just died." Rick says.

"Horribly, too. Pleurisy aspiration." Dr. S tells us.

"Chocked to death on his own blood. Caused those trails down his face." Hershel explains.

"I've seen them before on a walker outside the fences." Rick says.

"I saw them on Patrick, too." Daryl points out.

"They're from the internal lung pressure building up— like if you shake a soda can and pop the top. Only imagine your eyes, nose, and throat are the top." Dr. S explains.

"It's a sickness from the walkers?" Bob asks.

"No, these things happened before they were around. Could by pneumococcal. Most likely an aggressive flu strain." Caleb tells us.

"Someone locked him in just in time." Hershel comments.

"No, man. Charlie used to sleepwalk. Locked himself in. ****, he was just eating barbecue yesterday. How could somebody die in a day just from a cold?" Daryl asks.

"I had a sick pig, it died quickly. Saw a sick boar in the woods." Rick tells him.

"Pigs and birds. That's how these things spread in the past. We need to do something about those hogs." I stated at the group of men, with Hershel nodding at me.

"Maybe we got lucky. Maybe these two cases are it." Caleb says.

"Haven't seen anybody be lucky in a long time. Bugs like to run through close quarters. Doesn't get any closer than this." Bob comments.

"All of us in here, we've all been exposed."Hershel points out.

"What the **** are we gonna do?" I asked looking around at the men gathered around me, the question hangs in the air, no one having an answer.

-Time skip-

I was sitting outside thinking about what's going on, I started to not feel rather well until I turned around when I hear footsteps.

Ash approach's me, I stood up backing away, trying to hold back a cough.

"Ash, don't come near me. I've been exposed, it's a flu—" I started.

"I know, I heard." Ash says cutting me off.

"Okay, then get away fro me. I don't want you to..." I trailed off when I started coughing.

"Alita?" Ash asked, I caught my breath before looking at her with obvious fear in my eyes.

"I'm sick. Ash, I'm sick." I told her, she shook her head.

"It's okay, we're gonna figure this out and get you better, okay?" She asked me, and I nodded, going into a coughing fit.

"But, you have to go to cell block A. It's were the ones who's been exposed are at." She explained to me.

"Thanks you." I tell her, she nodded at me.

"You can tell me when you get better, cause you will get better." She tell me sternly, she looks down before I start walking away.

I ran a hand through my hair before heading over to the cell block to be quarantined

-Time skip-

I sit on top of one of the cells outside looking off into the distance chewing on my lip.

Daryl sits down looking at me through the glass and he looked really worried about me.

"Ash told me that you were sick." Daryl mumbled, yet I can feel his gaze fall on me.

He knew Ash and I looked to each other as siblings, like how I did with the Greenes sisters and like how I used to look at Merle.

I met his eyes my own filling with tears almost.

"I got sick with whatever the **** is killing our people." I tell him my voice cracking, he puts one of his hands on the glass.

As I tried to but I was coughing like crazy, with some blood coming out.

"You're gonna be alright." Daryl assures me, but I can't find comfort in his words, not when I've seen the bodies.

He stands up and puts his forehead on the glass, as I tried to do the same thing.