Chapter 43

Zeus sauntered in his golden private study, sipping slowly the wine from the golden kantharos in his hand. A triumphant smile on his face. The Goddess of Love and Beauty was on her knees on the floor, sobbing profusely. 

"Let me get this right. You want me to go to my unbending brother, down in the gloomy Underworld, to fetch your boy toy for you. Is that right, my most perverse, demanding, tiresome daughter?" he asked, a gleeful satisfaction in his voice. A brow arched, a twinkle in his eye, and a dangerous smirk on his face.

"Father..." Aphrodite sobbed but Zeus bellowed a roaring laugh. 

"So it's father now. You never call me father. O Khaos, how desperate are you now?" he sniggered, brushing away a gleeful tear from his eye. 

"Please," she pleaded, Zeus' cheerful demeanour turned stoic. 

"You know the order, daughter. Hades will never allow it," he said, his bright blue eyes darkened. 

"If you reason with him-" she argued but Zeus cut her off. 

"Reason with him?! He's the sole voice of reason in this goddamn place! And he will say no as I'm saying to you now!" he roared, impatience simmering his anger. 

"But-" Aphrodite tried again, but Zeus pounded his heavy fist on the armrest of his golden klismos. 

"Enough! It is his time. It's unfortunate that his thread is short, but it is what it is. Fates," he said firmly, pinching the bridge of his nose.