Chapter 2

In a grove of cypress trees in Thebes, Hades was lying on his back, looking at the stars above. He used to study the stars with his Titaness mother, Rhea. Devoured by his Titan father, he grew up into adulthood in his father's belly. When he was freed, he and his brothers and sisters were thrown into a war with the Titans for a decade. He could not quite believe that right now, at this moment, it was all over and he is able to take delight of gazing upon the celestial bodies above him, in peace.

"Virgo," he said to himself as he noticed a constellation.

Soft footsteps moved closer towards Hades. Hades turned and saw his goddess sister, Hera. She is beautiful, with thick dark coffee-brown hair, that falls just a couple of inches above her waist. Her dark almond eyes twinkles, her luscious lips red. Her figure is tall and slender. She is self-assertive and poised, exuding unperturbed grace. Though her elegance is magnificent, she possesses a vicious jealous streak.

In all his immortal years alive, Hades is closest to Hera. Their temperaments complemented each other. Her refined character suits his pragmatic nature. They both relished in quiet cruelty. Many times, Hades had caught himself amusing the thought of him pledging his fidelity to Hera. But the thoughts would never last. As archaic as it is, Hades believes to pledge himself only to a goddess that he would give up his immortality. An eternity is a long time to commit oneself to a relationship of only amicable tolerance, without any passionate attachment and intimacy.

Besides, Hades knew that Hera's affections belongs to their saviour, their baby brother, Zeus. From the moment that Zeus freed all of them from the belly of their tyrannical father, and she opened her eyes to a pair of the most beautiful blue eyes, she gave heart wholly to Zeus.

Zeus was the opposite of Hades. Hades has icy blue-grey piercing eyes, pale skinned, sharp nose and sharp cheek bones, framed by long jet-black waves of hair. He is tall and his stature is lean and muscular. His voice quiet and calm, but firm. His disposition serious and unyielding. Zeus has a pair of big blue eyes, so blue that could render anyone helpless. Skin kissed by the sun, strong features, framed by a head of long platinum curls. He is broad-shouldered, strapping and muscular. His voice thundered with jubilance, but has a gentle undertone. To Hera, Zeus is male perfection personified.

Unfortunately for Hera, Zeus has eyes only for their older sister – Demeter. Demeter was everything that Hera was not. While Hera is a dark beauty, Demeter is a fair lily. Her skin almost like snow, big green eyes, a mass of flaxen hair that falls to her waist in soft curls. Her fair skin and fair hair made her look iridescent in the sunlight. She is curvaceous, a hint of the goddess of fertility that she will soon become. She is melodramatic and sentimental. Hades had always thought that Hera was better suited to Zeus than Demeter. Maybe Demeter's erratic behaviour challenged Zeus; he always revels in challenges.

"Come, Aidoneus. It's starting and we are late," said Hera. Hades detected a subtle tone of bitterness in her voice.

"We're only a flash away, sister." Hades splayed out the palm of his hand in front of him. Pitch-black shadows formed a portal before them, and together they stepped into the threshold.

They stepped out to into a cavern - Diktaion Antron. "We're here," said Hades quietly.

Clotho was waiting for them. "The rest are here. Come, come. You are late," scolded Clotho. "It was his fault. I had to look for him everywhere. It seemed like stargazing was absolutely necessary at a time like this," said Hera with reproach.

"On the contrary, my dear, what Aidoneus did was absolutely essential," said Clotho casually, Hera hissed; Hades smiled smugly. Without looking at Hades, Clotho asked, "What did you saw in Ouranos?"