Chapter 38

"Your princess is safe in the palace," Zephyros said as he sauntered towards the tensed God of Love. 

"Thank you, Zephyros," Eros said quietly, and the God of the West Wind nodded. 

"My payment?" Zephyros asked, his golden wings flapped. 

"I didn't do anything," Eros answered, his expression deadpan. 

"What-" Zephyros started but Eros held up a hand to stop him. 

"I didn't do anything because I don't have to. Turns out that the Rainbow Goddess was already madly in love with you," Eros said coolly, but Zephyros glared at him. 

"If I find out that you're lying, I could just let slip about your princess to your psychotic mother-" Zephyros threatened, but Eros cut him off. 

"That will not be necessary because I'm not lying," Eros said, an eyebrow cocked. The God of the West Wind eyed the God of Love, still unconvinced. 

"If you fuck me..." he trailed off, "Which I'm not," Eros answered simply.

"She's sweet, Paidarion," Zephyros said, Eros blinked. 

"Don't hurt her," he added, "Never," Eros replied. Zephyros gave Eros one final look before he nodded, and flew off.

Eros nervously walked up the steps into his palace. He had prepared his room for Psykhe since their first encounter. His heart and his mind were made up. 

Psykhe is mine, he kept telling himself. When his mother and Zeus had called on him to carry out his divine duties, he had reluctantly pried himself away from Psykhe without a word. He had not expected everything that had transpired in his long absence. 

I should not have left her for so long, he regretted. But none of that matters now, his Psykhe was safe with him. 

Please let her feelings for me be unchanged. I will do anything to earn her forgiveness, he hoped silently. 

But what if she demands for your identity? a little voice taunted him in his head, Eros chewed on his lower lip anxiously.

He walked silently into his bedchambers. Our bedchambers, he thought with his heart skipping a beat. Nothing of his old bedchambers remained. Everything has been changed to reflect Psykhe. His breath caught in his throat when he laid his eyes on the mortal princess that he loves desperately. He watched silently as Psykhe took in every detail of the room, pride and joy swelled in his chest when he saw the look of awe on her lovely face.

When Psykhe slid out of her red chiton, Eros bit on his lower lip hard and drew ichor to hold back a groan. How could a mortal be this divine? he thought, quaking under his chlamys. 

But when Psykhe's soft cries turned into heavy sobs, Eros' heart twisted tightly in his chest; he never felt so helpless. He watched as Psykhe cried herself to sleep in the waters, and walked towards her in his muted footsteps. He scattered rose petals into the pool, and held her head up above the waters. He kissed her softly and whispered his proclamations of love into her ear.