Chapter 62

It took Orpheus more than a week to reach the seaport town of Tainaros. The miserable bard kept his cover up, his indigo himation cloaked his head, keeping his face in the shadows. There was a proverb used by the Hellenes – Tainarian evil. One would do well to not attract attention to oneself in a town such as Tainaros. 

He walked along the granite paved streets, full of merchants, artisans and customers. The town was prosperous because of it's famous green marble, and the highly-prized Lacedaemonian Purple dye.

Soon, the hustle and bustle were replaced by the quiet and calm of the sea. Standing at the southernmost point of mainland Hellas, Orpheus took in the sublime view of the Lakonikos Kolpos. His fists balled at his sides as iron determination galvanised him to take the next step. He made his way down the rocky trail with caution, pushing away the branches and brambles, until he stood before a dark gaping cavern. He looked into the darkness with an indifference that could rival the Chthonic deities.

Everything in him was dead, except for one – his love for Eurydike. Everything in him was consumed by his dead wife, and now he was staring into the one solution that could reunite him with his love. An eerie smile slowly crept across his face, as he took calculated steps into the darkness.

The descend into Erebos was long and arduous, and when Orpheus crossed the threshold between the two realms, wind was knocked out of him as Death's grip around his consciousness had him double down in pain; his tortoise shell lyre almost drop and lost into the darkness. This is Death, he gritted in his head, and his determination to retrieve his wife from this miserable existence strengthened.

When he descended deeper into Erebos, Orpheus was met with his fellow Argonauts, perished during their voyage for the Golden Fleece of Kolkhis. "Orpheus! What are you doing here?" the handsome Hylas asked, and Orpheus was dumbstruck. 

"Hylas?" he whispered, and the shades chuckled quietly. "Idmon? Tiphys?" the poet marvelled as he tried to reach for his fallen comrades, but his touch passed through them. 

"Brother, you are not supposed to be here," Idmon stated, anger flashed in Orpheus. 

"I shall return with my wife, or die trying," he snarled, but the three shades merely smiled, much to his annoyance.