Chapter 18

Demeter arrived at the old Minoan palace in Phaistos

Demeter arrived at the old Minoan palace in Phaistos. The magnificent palace of ashlar blocks was quiet. She climbed the impressive West Propylon, and proceeded to walk to the south of the old palace. The Temple of Rhea was built on a man-made terrace on a hillside, overlooking a perfectly manicured garden. Demeter entered the dome structure with adamantine resolution. She stood in front of the statue of her mother, and broke down crying.

"Deme, my child," came a soothing voice. "Mother," Demeter cried as she got up to embrace her mother. Rhea stroked Demeter's golden hair and wiped away her tears. "Hush my child," she whispered gently to Demeter. "Mother, I need it now. I need the spell," Demeter said, panic-stricken. "Spell, Deme?" Rhea questioned, her brows furrowed. "I need the spell that you had used to hid Zeus from – from him," Demeter said desperately, her body shaking all over. "Why?" Rhea asked, her voice cold now. "He's coming for my daughter. He's coming for Kore! I need to save Kore from him!" she screamed at her mother.

"No," Rhea said coldly, she looked at Demeter stone-faced. "No?" Demeter asked in disbelief, eyes blazing with fury. "Deme, stop this now. Aidoneus and Persephone love each other. They are to marry; that is their gift from Ananke. Stop this nonsense now!" Rhea scolded her daughter, her voice firm. "Her name is Kore! And I should have known that you would take his side, you always do! For once, for once, mother, be on my side, please," Demeter shouted and pleaded at her mother.

"I am not taking sides between my children. But I will say what is right. Stop this now, Deme. Aidoneus is the best match for anyone. Persephone is lucky to have his eternal love and devotion," Rhea tried to reason with her daughter. Demeter fell to her knees, and bowed down on all fours at her mother's feet. Her face wet from her tears, her whole body shook.