Chapter 31

In the following weeks after the Spring Equinox, Demeter and Persephone had gone from one barren land to the next, restoring the earth to its glorious lushness. Zeus was right when he told Persephone that her mother had made her work cut out for her. Demeter's great famine affected a vast area of land – from the most western part of the Epirus region to Karia in the east, and from the southern-most tip of Tainaros to the Macedonian borders of Illyria and Thrace in the north. It saddened Persephone deeply to see the magnitude of her mother's grief. Her only solace was that she knew the souls will find serenity in the Asphodel Meadows before being reborn.

Demeter asserted authority over her daughter still, despite the Queen of the Underworld outrank her; though, Persephone indulged her mother. 

Snow and frost melted and seeped into the barren earth, softening and moistening the soil. The earth plowed, the seeds sowed. Before long, fertility was restored. Rich greenery covered the earth once more, livestock bred. Muscles began to fill the men's frames again, and new lives began to fill the women's bellies. Livelihood thrived, lives prospered.

Offerings for Persephone had started pouring in the Telesterion. Before long, building works on the Temple of Kore had begun outside the Telesterion. The mortals no longer pray to her as Demeter's shadow. Soteira; the Saviour, they called her. 

Relief and contentment washed over her each day as she watched everything, everywhere around her flourished. But come nightfall, when darkness and rest descended on all, when Persephone's lying in her childhood bed in her lonely new room in the Telesterion, the feeling of fulfilment that swelled in her heart was replaced with a crushing ache of longing for Hades, strangling her in her restless sleep each night. It's been almost three months since she last saw her husband, and they have remained in the dark from each other. Sometimes when the ache became too much, she would cry herself to sleep.

Each night, Persephone would dream of her husband - of the comfort of Hades' touch on her skin, and of when he comforted the ache in between her thighs that was so desperate for him. She dreamt of how safe she felt when she's in his arms, nuzzling up his neck. She dreamt of how his tongue calmed her by gently massaging on her own tongue. She craved his mouth, his tongue, his fingers... his divine phallus that always made her feel full but still not quite that she will always begged for more. She craved him, her beautiful loving husband, so much.