Chapter Fifty Two

Think about why you said what you said in the first place, because as long as you haven't acknowledged it, you'll keep doing stuff that you have to apologize for and eventually, she'll stop accepting your apologies.

I lost count of the number of times Ally's words had replayed themselves in my mind since I left the café. My mind conjured up random memories of Normani, some happy and others sad, but all in an attempt to search for justification that I wasn't in the wrong.

Flashback–

"Hey babe," Normani kissed my cheek before heading to the kitchen. "I got pizza, kids like pizza right? I like pizza when I was a kid."

I grinned as I stood and followed her to the kitchen. Normani stilled as soon as I wrapped my arms around her waist from behind. "It's just Zoe babe. She worships the ground you walk on."

"No she doesn't..."

I turned her around so she was facing me. "You're great with kids, especially Zoe. I know this because they're the only humans that you're nice to."

"I'm nice to you..."

"Yeah but I'm your girlfriend."

Normani grinned, "I never asked you how your day was."

"It was okay considering I woke up alone and how I have this hardass boss that I have to deal with every day."

"What can I do to make it better?"

"Hugs."

"And?"

"Kisses," I answered, "Lots of them."

Normani pecked my lips before she peppered my face with kisses.

"I love you."

She smiled, "I don't think I'm ever going to get used to hearing you say that."

"Good, I want you to feel special every time I say it."

I pressed her back against the counter just as the doorbell rang. Normani shook her head and pressed her lips to mine quickly before dashing off to the door. She jumped over the couch and rolled on the ground before belly crawling to the door.

Zoe launched herself into Normani's arms as soon as the door was open. "Hey Mani!"

"Hey kiddo! Up top."

They had somehow managed to come up with their own complicated handshake since the last time we'd hung out with Tia, and I watched in amusement as they both tried to remember the steps.

There are many theories about what happens after we die and almost all of them always refer to some type of afterlife. When I was younger, I had this friend who liked to believe there was some truth to the reincarnation and afterlife theory. We choose to be reborn so we can try and be better each time until we're worthy of the after life. No matter who or what we come back as, if we're lucky, we find the ones that are meant for us.

There was this vague sense of familiarity that washed over me as I watched her talk to Tia while Zoe sat comfortably on her back. For the briefest of moments, I knew exactly what would happen, but I couldn't be certain for sure till all three of them somehow ended up in a pile on the floor with Zoe on top.

The beauty though of this reincarnation theory is that despite this fleeting moment of familiarity, everything else is still brand new. We don't have to stay on whatever paths are set out for us.