Chapter Twenty Two

"How long?"

"Five months." I gazed of the window in my office, mostly because I was afraid to face my mentor. Still, I could see her face in the window's reflection. "I know I have a history when it comes to relationships, but this isn't anything like that Miss Connie. I'm in love with D–with her."

"It's okay child, you can say Dinah Jane's name. I know it's her."

"When did you figure it out?"

Connie stood from the couch and walked towards me. "I knew you were talking about yourself when you came to me. It took me a little longer to figure out who you were seeing through."

"I'm sorry for lying."

"Is it serious?"

I looked her in the eye briefly, then cast my eyes back to the view outside my window. "I'm in love with her. She's one of the best things in my life right now, besides my job and the magazine."

"You don't need to convince me Normani, I believe you. I can see how you look at her in the one picture of the two of you that she has up on Instagram."

"We've been careful, like you said. We don't leave together, we don't come in together and we haven't been going out or anything. And the relationship began after the promotion which was always going to happen. I haven't stopped being professional with her at work and—"

"–Normani," Connie placed both her hands on my shoulders. "It's okay, I believe you."

We both looked up at the sound of the knock on the door. I didn't realize that I hadn't said anything until I heard the knock again and Connie responded for me. Dinah appeared in the doorway; I fought the urge to let out the sigh that started building in my chest.

"Sorry, I can come back another time—"

"–nonsense, don't mind me," Connie said as she went back to the couch.

If I wasn't so afraid of the wrath of the ancestors for disrespecting an elder, I probably would have said some slick shit. Instead, I sat down at my desk and motioned for Dinah to come into the office.

"What's up?"

"I wanted to follow up on the email that I sent you earlier about you being on the podcast? You haven't replied yet and I'm about to send out a tweet announcing my special guest next Thursday."

"Oh yeah sure, sorry I never got back to you. It's been a busy day. What are we discussing?"

"I haven't decided yet but I'll email you once I'm done. I just wanted to make sure you're doing it. I got Max and Lauren to agree as well so it's going to be three of you."

"Okay sounds good."

"Thank you, and I'm sorry for interrupting," Dinah said apologetically as she turned to smile at Connie.

The older woman waved her off, "it's fine. My daughter enjoys your podcast by the way. She listens to it every Thursday."

"Tell her I said thank you for always listening in."

"I will."

Dinah smiled, "alright I better get going. Enjoy the rest of your day."

I leaned back in my chair as I watched her leave before turning to look at Connie whose head was tilted as she watched me with a smile. "What?"

"I know you've got something to say Miss Connie."

"Normani I have embarrassing pictures of you in tutus, don't forget yourself."

"Yes ma'am."

"All I was going to say is I'm glad it's her, it makes sense that it's her actually. She's not scared of you."