Chapter Fifty Five

Dinah
"Hey, so I had fun the other day and I would love to do it again if you're down." I shook my head. "That doesn't sound right. Hi Normani. No, too formal."

Can I see you? I erased the message as soon as I typed it. Normani would probably just send me a selfie or video of herself in response. We had been in constant communication via messages and phone calls since our date, but I wanted to see her again. To languish in the space that we had managed to create for ourselves in the days since we acknowledged our feelings for each other.

"Dinah just ask her out. The worst she can do is say no," Kamila groaned as she walked into my room. She took my phone from me and lay down on my bed.

"It's not that," I turned and continued pacing. "I just don't know exactly what to say."

"Hey so I had fun last time and I was thinking we could do it again soon, maybe even today if you're free. We could do coffee or something else."

"That sounds eager."

Kamila quirked an eyebrow at me, "You don't think writing a letter is 'eager'?"

"Shut up Mila." When she didn't answer immediately I stopped pacing and turned to look at her. "Mila what are you doing?"

"Helping my favorite sibling out, just give me a second—" she let out a squeal when I jumped onto the bed and tried to wrestle my phone from her hands. She somehow managed to FaceTime Normani and keep the phone out of my reach until Normani answered.

"Hey?" Normani tilted her head and the crease in her brow deepened. "You called me but I feel like I'm interrupting something."

"Mysisterwantstogooutwithyoubutshestooscaredto— Dinah! What was that for."

"Do you really want Normani to witness a murder live?"

"Okay geez, I'll go. There's no need to get all murdery and shit. Text me, Mani."

I locked my door as soon as she was out and tried to quickly fix my hair before picking my phone. Normani's frown was replaced with a look of amusement. She glanced at something to her left, most likely Noah, and disappeared for a moment before picking her phone up again.

"Hey again," she murmured. "I love your hair like that."

"Shit I'm sorry—"

"–You have nothing to be sorry for. So why did Kamila call me?"

I sighed, "I was trying to figure out the perfect way to ask you out."

"Oh, we're still on for Thursday night right?"

"Yes, but I was kind of hoping we could do something today too," I picked at a piece of loose thread on my sweater; anything that could keep me from having to look at her.

She didn't say anything, and it wasn't until it had been a minute of total silence when I looked to see if she was still there. Normani was staring at me, head tilted slightly and a smile playing on her lips. I cursed myself when my cheeks immediately grew hotter.

"I kind of have to catch up on work today."

"Oh okay. I don't want to be a distraction or anything.

"How about you come over. If you're willing to kind of hang out with me while I work that is. We can get dinner later?"

I laughed at myself when I perked up instantly. Kamila was right, Normani and I were way past the point of playing it cool.

"Do you want me to pick anything up?"

"No don't worry about that. Give me two hours before you come over? Just so I can get everything and tidy up too."