Chapter Eighteen

I remember when I was a child, Grandma would pick me up from school and take me on some adventure around Nola and by the time we got home, I'd be so tired that I would pass out. I didn't realize it then, obviously but she was distracting me from what was going on at home. It worked half the time, but those trips to museums, theaters and recitals had given me an appreciation of art in all it's forms.

I suppose that's why I said yes when Gen asked me to convince an up and coming photographer to let us feature her in the magazine. That and I wanted to spend as little time as possible at the hospital that we were visiting in the afternoon.

The photographer was worth it too. As I stood in front of a picture of a woman dressed in traditional attire, I couldn't recall ever enjoying a meeting with a person that much in my entire career.

"This was one of my favorite ones. The model was so unapologetically black and proud of her culture. And she owned that confidence in the most beautiful way."

"This is exactly why we want to feature you and your work. You managed to capture that confidence and pride and I want little girls to see themselves being celebrated and to feel that pride within themselves."

Thandi frowned, "Okay I'll do it."

The sigh that had been building in my chest escaped as my body was flooded with relief. "Thank you so much Thandi. Why don't you come in next week to discuss details?"

"Thandi there's some people that want to speak to you."

She grimaced, "alright I will see you soon Normani. Thank you for coming to the show."

"You're welcome."

I noticed a woman and her daughter trying to get a glimpse of the picture from behind me. "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was in your way."

The little girl's eyes widened as she looked at me. She looked up at her mother who nodded with a smile. "Are you Normani?"

"Yes I am," I answered hesitantly. "How do you know my name?"

"You're so pretty..."

The older woman laughed. "I've been reading La Sienne since I was a little girl. My mom and grandma would do self care Sundays with us and we'd do facials while reading the magazine. When I had my daughter, I just kept doing it with her. Zoe is probably your biggest fan."

"Well in that case, it's lovely to meet you both. I'm Normani." I facepalmed internally. "Sorry I'm not good with meeting new people. I get shy."

"That's okay, I'm Tia, and this is my daughter Zoe. It's nice to meet you too Normani."

Zoe waved shyly, "hi."

"So you're into art and stuff like that too?"

"Yes, and I've always enjoyed Thandi's work. I wanted to share it with Zoe and have her be proud of her skin and how she looks. I overheard a bit of your conversation with Thandi and I think it's amazing that you want to feature her and her work. It's important to celebrate black and other minority creatives."

"It definitely is. What do you do? Work wise I mean?"

"Oh I'm a physiotherapist but we have an appointment at Morgan Stanley so I took the whole day off. I should actually call an uber soon."

"I'm headed there too, I can give you a ride if you'd like."

"No I don't want to-"

"I'm offering Tia, plus I'm literally going there."

It took a little more convincing, but she eventually agreed and I called Jackson to come and pick us up. On our way to the hospital, Zoe talked to Jackson