Chapter Seven

Beck and Lauren were already in the office when I walked in early on Monday morning. Beck was sitting on my desk and Lauren was spinning around in her chair as she waited. I did appreciate that they brought both breakfast and coffee for me to go with whatever they wanted to gossip about.

"Morning guys, I hope you had great thanksgiving weekends.""

"Morning Dinah, yeah it was fine or whatever. We got you breakfast and coffee, now spill the beans. You and Normani, what's up with that?"

I almost spit my coffee out. "There is no me and Normani, we're just friends. Also, her office is just there and so is her assistant."

"Oh don't worry about Avery, he's good. Not long ago, you couldn't stand her, and now she's your date to your sister's engagement party and she's hanging out with your family."

"I would have asked either one of you to go to that thing with me had she not offered first. Truth is we kind of became friends that night after the gala and we've just been hanging out every now and then since. We're just good friends. She's a really cool nerd."

Beck narrowed his eyes as he studied me. He took my hand and pulled me out of my chair. Lauren almost fell out of hers as she tried to get up quickly and follow. We got into the elevator and he tapped impatiently as he waited for it to get to an empty floor.

"They haven't found a use for this one yet, so there's no one here. This is also where I come when I need to use the bathroom at work and I can't hold it."

"Huh," Lauren mumbled as she looked around. "So this is where you always disappear to?"

"That's not the point. I can accept the explanation about your sister's wedding. But you then went skydiving together. I know because I follow Kamila on Insta and I noticed you and Normani sitting together in the background of said picture. I also saw you two in the background of another picture looking extremely cozy for two people who are allegedly friends. So let's skip over you denying the fact that there's definitely something going on between you two?"

I fought the urge to sigh and despite Beck's assurances that the floor was empty, I pulled them towards one of the empty offices. "I need you guys to swear that you won't say anything to anyone. This could really be bad if it gets out."

"DJ bad is an understatement. There is a zero tolerance policy on relationships like this. Ever since that scandal with the board member who fucked with an assistant's career after they broke up, relationships between the superiors and their subordinates are strictly prohibited. The rules are a little more lax for the rest of us, but given the fact that you recently got promoted if this gets out, it will not be good, especially for her."

Beck sighed, "Lauren said all that to tell you that we're not going to say anything obviously."

"You really can't, you can't even talk about it to me at work. I really like her and work and HR aside, I think we could make this work."

"Don't worry about it babe, our lips are sealed. Now spill, she looks like she's good in bed. Tell me I'm right."

"Well we haven't gone that far yet but I can tell you that she is a very good kisser."

Lauren and Beck looked at each other, "yeah that doesn't surprise me. Her lips look soft."

"They do but have you felt her hands? And all she does is moisturize. What the hell!"

"I don't know why you're complaining, you have super soft hands too."

"I know," Beck grinned. I rolled my eyes and started to walk away until I remembered a conversation that Normani and I had last week. When they were gone, I slipped back into the office and after taking my top off, I took a few pictures before finally settling on one that I liked. As soon as I had sent it, I called. I knew what her personal extension was, so I called directly and listened to it ring for a while before she picked up.