Chapter Thirty Eight

Choosing the weekend for a surprise visit to my parents meant that as soon as I left work, on time for a change, I was caught in traffic leaving the city. Not that I minded. I wanted to get home, but I wanted to delay getting there for as long as possible. Eventually though, traffic began to move, slowly at first until I was moving at a steady pace, relishing the feel of the wind on my face as I drove the old school convertible that I had decided to rend on a whim down the runway.

When I finally got to the house, I sighed, I didn't know why I had come here, only that after my last conversation with Dr Sullivan, I had been wanting to get out of town.

After our tumultuous first day back, Dinah and I steered clear of each other as much as possible at work, only speaking when we absolutely needed to and it was working. Not worrying about her, meant I could focus all my energy on Paige.

For some reason, despite having my own set of keys, I decided to knock on the door. It was still early enough that the housekeeper, Mrs. Brown was still there, so she was the one who opened the door instead of either one of my parents.

"Hey Mrs. B," I said, the smile that I now had no trouble faking instantly making its way to my face.

"Hello Miss Normani," she answered, a genuine smile making it's way onto her face. "It's good to see you."

"It's good to see you, are my parents home?"

She shook her head, "you just missed them actually, but not to worry, they'll be back later. Let me go and make you something."

"Oh no you don't have to do that Mrs. B—"

"–you'll just end up ordering something unhealthy when you could have had a home cooked meal."

"I don't want to keep you to late though."

She sighed, "my daughter is visiting with her son in law, and I love my loud ass grand kids, but their father... Speaking of significant others, where's that girl that you were seeing? She was so lovely."

"Oh we broke up Mrs. B."

"No wonder you look like you've been fighting demons in your sleep. Go and put your things upstairs, then come down to the kitchen and let's get some food in you. I know you don't eat when you're in New York."

"Yes ma'am."

The last time I had been in my room was my birthday weekend. It looked the same as it always did when I came home, neat and untouched. But knowing that she had spent a night here with me made it different somehow.

I put my stuff on the bed, and put my shoes away neatly in my closet before heading downstairs to the kitchen. "Can I help with anything Mrs. B?"

"No you just sit there and talk to me," she answered. "Do you remember how you always insisted on doing your homework in here and keeping me company while I was in the kitchen? You just wanted to taste the food."

"And hang out with you Mrs. B."

I was thankful that she kept the conversation light the entire time, perhaps sensing that I really didn't want to talk about anything Dinah related. When she eventually left, I ate a little, appreciating the fact that she hadn't stayed to try and make me eat. After half an hour of walking around the house, trying to find something to do, I went to the beach.

It was a clear night, the stars shone brightly, a constant promise of life in the darkness. Somewhere above me, there were two stars named after Dinah and I, close together, but millions of miles apart. Perhaps it was foreshadowing.

Although there was an almost chilly breeze, the sand was still warm. I took my shoes off and sat down, cross legged on the ground. I completely lost track of time, and when I went back inside, I found my parents in the kitchen. Them being surprised to see me wasn't a surprise. I wasn't exactly the most forthcoming person lately when it came to information, big or small, except with Dr Sullivan.