Chapter Thirty Three

I sighed as I rubbed my temples to try and banish the sleepiness that I felt. I had come into the office early, unable to stay in bed any longer after a long night of tossing and turning. There were very few people in the office, mostly assistants, a few interns and a few department heads.

The door opened, surprising and also irritating me. The only person with the balls to open my door without knocking was my aunt and it was rare for her to do it. Instead of Avery, a woman who looked like she'd barely graduated from college walked into my office carrying a latte.

"Morning Miss Hamilton, I'm Paige. Avery asked me to cover for him while he's at the dentist."

My head throbbed, "in future I'd appreciate you knocking and waiting for a response before you come in."

Her eyes widened, but she continued looking me straight in the eyes, gaze unwavering. "I apologize Miss Hamilton. This is for you."

"It's alright," I said tiredly, "and thank you. What's my schedule for today?"

I listened quietly as she spoke, wishing the whole time that Avery hadn't insisted on finding someone to cover for him. Thankfully my day wasn't packed, but I did have a few important things to get done before I left at the end of the day.

I thanked her and immediately went back to the article that I was editing. After a minute, I realized she was still standing there. "Can I help you with something?"

"Do you mind if I sit?" she asked, sitting down without waiting for an answer. "

"I wanted to discuss my future at La Sienne, long term I mean. And I've heard you're a really good mentor," Paige said as she smirked and twirled her hair flirtatiously. "I think I could learn a lot from you."

It's too early for this...

"Of course, I'm always excited to mentor and open up a new set of doors for my mentees. I take it you want to become a writer?"

"Yes, but more than that I want to learn more about running a company like La Sienne."

"Okay how long have you worked here?"

"A few months," she answered. "I know most people work here longer before they start thinking about moving up the ladder but I like to plan ahead."

"It's admirable," I answered. "Where do you see yourself a year from now?"

She thought about it briefly. "As a writer, I've written two articles freelance so far and I'm always looking for opportunities to develop my journalistic skills."

"That's good, it shows initiative which any publication needs from their journalists. As your first assignment, pitch me a story, you have a week to come up with something, then we'll start working from there. Is that okay."

"Yes thank you Normani." She stood and I could have sworn she pulled her skirt up a little before pulling it down. "Is there anything else I can get you?"

I shook my head, "no thank you."

"Thank you for giving me the opportunity."

"You're welcome." 

There's no way a normal person just sways their hips like that...

I didn't have time to think about my decision to mentor her further because Lauren knocked on my door and walked in a moment later.

"Hey—are you okay?"

"Just tired," I answered. "What can I do for you?"

"Oh my article. I got your notes back."