Chapter Twenty Seven

-

-

Despite having spent time in a room similar to this one with Zoe, being back and being hooked up to the machines myself felt oddly reminiscent of the times I'd come to visit my mother in hospital during her stays. This room was bright and the walls covered in murals that were unlike the cold, impersonal, white walls that I had become accustomed to in my childhood.

There were a few other patients in the room, all of them there for chemotherapy though. And all of them sat with family while I sat alone, despite it being a weekend. That wasn't the initial plan, but Dinah and I had the most ridiculous fight last night, which resulted in her going to her own apartment.

Tia had stopped by to check on me when they first started hooking me up to the machines, but Zoe was upstairs, so she'd had to eventually go back, which resulted in me being alone again.

"Is someone coming to pick you up after this?" Nurse Culhane asked as she adjusted things around me to make me more comfortable.

I nodded, "yeah, I told him 8 hours. Is that okay?"

"Yes that's perfect. I'll be checking on you very often, but if you need me between now and then, press this button," she placed the remote under my right hand so I could press it anytime that I needed to.

"I will, thank you."

I was halfway through my first movie when Dinah walked into the room with Nurse Culhane. She kissed my forehead before sitting down in the chair beside my bed.

"Sorry I'm late babe, there's a few things that I needed to get before coming here. I've got snacks, some sandwiches, I got your comfy headphones for when you just wanna listen to some music or watch a movie or whatever. I got an extra pillow in case you want to sleep and there's some other stuff here too."

"I thought you weren't coming."

"There's only one thing that could keep me from being by your side, and since I'm still alive and kicking, here I am."

Usually, I'd be fidgeting, but my limited mobility meant I could either look at her or look somewhere else, so I settled for looking at her. I sighed, praying that the whole day wasn't going to feel as awkward as the next few minutes would.

"Dinah—"

"–no," she interrupted me. "I'm the one that needs to apologize to you."

"So do I. We were both at fault."

-Flashback-

"Dinah I'm tired and my body aches, can you just say whatever the fuck you want to say and stop talking in circles."

"No never mind, it doesn't matter."

I groaned, "see this is what you say now, but it's just going to turn into another fight when I piss you off again. But go ahead and do whatever the fuck you want."