Chapter Ten

32, 33, nope it's still 16:32... I fought the urge to roll my eyes and groan. For a board that was uncharacteristically filled with as more women than men, they were still incredibly boring. I checked my phone. I had two calls to return and an urgent email. I also had texts from my friends, and there was one from Dinah as well. I quickly replied to as many as I could without looking like I had completely checked out of the meeting.

When it was finally over, I greeted everyone quickly before heading back downstairs to my office. Avery was already gone for the day, and so was most of the office. I returned the calls and the email before I got started on looking through articles for the site. I uploaded all the ones that were good to go and scheduled them to be published tomorrow morning and I emailed back the others with a few notes on things they needed to change.

By the time I was done, I had just enough time to rush home before Dinah came over to pick me up for our date. She had said it was 80s themed, so I wore a pair of faded jeans with a cats and aliens sweater with purple leggings and black leg warmers. I was finishing my makeup when there was a knock on the door.

Dinah was wearing blue leggings, a pink tutu, a white vest and a green track top. "Wow... you really just went for it. And the air, it's definitely 80s."

"We look ridiculous," she said with a laugh. "But you're rocking yours and I'm glad you actually made an effort."

"Not like you, I should build a time machine and take you back to the 80s. The 90s were more my speed."

"Noted. Are you ready to go?"

I nodded as I grabbed my phone and bank card. "I'll tell Jax to meet us out front."

Dinah gave Jackson the address before getting in and sitting close to me. I smiled, remembering the night that I had taken what was apparently an extremely awkward car ride with her and Aja. I was working the entire time, which is probably why I didn't notice any awkwardness, at least not until I got back into the car with Aja.

-Flashback-

I shook my head once she was inside her apartment, as though to clear the thoughts of her from my mind, although that wasn't really it. I was trying to clear the memory of that kiss and how it made me feel.

"Finally," Aja murmured as she kissed me once I was inside the car. I grabbed her hand before it could slip lower.

"Aja's hotel?" Jackson asked.

"Uh yeah," I mumbled, leaning back against the seat.

When we got to Aja's hotel, I walked her upstairs. As soon as we were at her door, she pushed me up against the door and kissed me. I pulled away and took a step away from her. "I'm sorry... I can't do this anymore."

"That was her wasn't it? The girl that you've been seeing? I saw how she was watching us."

"Yeah..."

"I'm going to miss you, you really were my favorite."

I sighed, "maybe I want more than that..."

"You need more than that Normani, but not with me," Aja said quietly. There wasn't a single hint of sadness in her eyes. "I don't think you were ever meant for this kind of life."

"Maybe, see you around Aja."

-

Since our conversation, Dinah and I had gone on a few dates and hung out at each other's apartments; we ate, we played video games, we made out and we talked, a lot. She picked one of the 36 questions every time we were together and we both had to answer it in detail before moving on to some other topic. I still didn't believe that they could make you fall in love. But in our case, they only made me like her more and want to get to know her more than I already did.