Chapter Nineteen

"So how come JJ calls you Mama?" I asked quietly after taking a sip of my coffee. After spending five consecutive weekends with Zoe and Tia, it was clear that they were going to be permanent fixtures in my life, so I figured I should probably start getting to know the older woman a little better.

The smile that had been on Tia's face began to fade. I regretted asking the questions when her eyes became glassy with unshed tears. Tia looked up and blinked them back; then she shut her eyes and took a deep breath. "Sorry, I'm okay."

"I'm sorry for asking, you don't have to answer if you don't want to."

"No it's really okay," she responded, waving me off as she took a sip of her coffee. The smile returned when she heard JJ and Zoe giggling as Normani spun them around on the merry go round. "Sam and Ana weren't really in a good place emotionally, financially, physically or mentally even when she got pregnant. I was doing okay, so I took him and raised him for just under two years while they both got their shit together, then Sam took him but I was till basically his mom. He just never stopped calling me Mama, and Ana doesn't mind."

"You didn't want him to go?"

"It was bittersweet, but I still see him all the time and when people ask how many kids I have, I tell them I have two because that's my baby."

"That was really brave and admirable of you to do that."

"My sister would have done the same for me if the roles were reversed. And honestly, he's an amazing kid."

"They both are."

Zoe waved at us excitedly and we both waved back. Tia turned so she was facing me. "You want kids right?"

"Yes I do, why do you ask?"

"Normani wants kids, I guess I want to make sure you're on the same page?"

I smiled, "oh we discussed all that stuff before we made things official. All we did was talk, and make out on occasion."

"Oh yeah, Mani mentioned that the start of your relationship was turbulent. What made you not leave because if it was me..."

"I don't know, I guess I just really liked her and I saw the potential for us to get to this. Does it scare you?"

"Not really... I mean sometimes it does, but medicine has advanced a lot. What really scares me though is that," Tia mumbled as she gestured to Zoe and Normani. "I don't want my daughter to get hurt."

"Mani won't hurt her. Did she talk to you about―"

"–getting tested to see if either of you might be a match?" Tia finished my question. "Yes... but I couldn't ask you guys to do something like that."

I frowned, "you're not asking, we're offering. And I should tell you now that Normani's just going to keep offering until she wears you down and you say yes."

"I'll think about it."

I already knew she would eventually say yes, but had I known everything that would transpire, I would have found a way to stop Normani from ever getting to know Tia after that first meeting at the gallery.

"Mama did you see me jump?" JJ asked excitedly. "Mani pushed me so high and then I jumped!"

"I did baby, well done!"

JJ grinned, "Now it's Zoe's turn. Go Zoe!"

He went back to the swings and cheered for Zoe who was still scared to jump. Eventually though, with encouragement from both Normani and JJ, she launched herself into Normani's arms and screamed in delight. "Again!"